1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP is getting crazy(SP2)

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonnavi, 12 Aug 2004.

1. sonnavi

sonnavi What's a Dremel?

hi everybody;
    after installing SP2 my windows is freezing on the logon screen after restore it is working

2. TMM

TMM Modder

format, and never touch SP2 again.

i made the same mistake, SP2 Trashed my installation all together, i didn't even get a login screen, just black :duh:

3. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Funny, my sp2 works fine.

And i think its good :worried:

4. sonnavi

sonnavi What's a Dremel?

thanks a lot i will try after work when i go to home i will post result. bye

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

7 Computers upgraded and no problems yet :D

Not looking forward to next week when the other ~700 get the upgrade tho.

6. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

What do you mean just black? I installed SP2, rebooted. After a second reboot (for another reason) I just got a black screen after it had POSTed. Is this what you had?

7. sonnavi

sonnavi What's a Dremel?

when windows is starting my monitor's light is flashing(light on light off...) and it screens black screen. i think my windows is not lisanced and it is non offical copy so after installing SP2 this couse.

8. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

I use protowall and installed service pack 2 (don't know why, I was going to wait until I knew more about it, for example DEP kinda pisses me off) and had no problems except really being pissed off scared for a second when I first booted and my ram usage was spiking like MAD for about 5 minutes.

Protowall did block an outgoing connection to "microsoft corporate tracker" which I find amusing. Is this, the obvious, or something else?

9. westeee

westeee What's a Dremel?

Can you get into safemode (f8 at startup).

XP sp2 is great, theres just loads of people compaing about it at the moment just like when xp came out people said "dont install it , it will crap your computer up".

so far ive upgraded 10 computers only another 250ish to go.

have you got an ati graphics card? if so make sure you have the latest drivers before you update , as i think theres an issuse with some ati drivers

10. sonnavi

sonnavi What's a Dremel?

yes it can be done by ati drivers

11. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Only issues so far for me is the annoying windows firewall trying to tell me what i can and can't run (keeps saying do you want to keep blocking this app for activesync, and even if i say unblock, 5 mins later it does it again) so I just edited the GPO to disable the firewall service...

also takes about 2 mins longer to boot & applications seem to take longer to load. Also more access to the HDD than there used to be.

12. sonnavi

sonnavi What's a Dremel?

i found the problem new intel drivers (begining with 6.0...) causes this problem after uninstalling that it did normal boot. :hehe:

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Apparently, some people have found that M$ have "played" with tcpip.sys, rigging it to only
    allow 10 connections per port in an attempt to limit the effects of Sasser & Blaster type worms.

As you can imagine, this does P2P apps no good at all. Luckily, a quick google finds a program to
    "play" tcpip.sys back to a more reasonable 50 connections per port.

Also, there is a patched uxtheme.dll available to allow the use of more than the 2 standard M$
    themes for XPSP2.

One more thing, DEP doesn't like DivX 5.2, but DEP can be disabled on an app-by-app basis.

Seek & ye shall find. :D

Tags: