1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kill_me_quick, 10 Aug 2004.

1. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Got a slight problem with my laptop, when i turned it on it loaded and will only work off the battery, it wont recognise the fact that it has the power supply in the back.

It was on about 4hours ago and working fine off mains. The problem is that the battery only lasts about 50mins (from full).

Ive tried putting the plug in and out of the back of the laptop and only one it flicked up the "charging" and "mains" leds then went back off again.

The laptop has done this before, but last time the power supply had to be replaced and apparently the motherboard burntout. But that time there was a funny smell coming from it.

thanks guys

2. kill_me_quick

3. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

check Maplin for a generic laptop psu thingy only £30-odd

4. Black

Black What's a Dremel?

i think that your notebook adapter go to nowhere read on notebook back how much volts it need to charge and check with multiplier how volts your adapter has :sigh:

5. kill_me_quick

well its been working fine since bout october time, then just sudenly stopped working. it would be kinda ok but my new comp keeps on killing my broadband so i cant use that for surfing.

6. Carbon

Carbon Banned

might be the same again.

What brand and model of laptop is it?

7. kill_me_quick

its a compaq presario 701FR (its ****) but all i use it for is surfing, but it wont charge.

8. Black

Black What's a Dremel?

check you adapter cause its really look like its working bad its just power notebook how i know to power notebook you need ~12V to charge battery about ~14-19V

9. kill_me_quick

its a 17v battery and its not the original one, its 1 that they gave me after the 1st one died. ill check the voltage if i can find my mulitimeter