1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Rack mounted cooler - RAD/Exchanger

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kickn, 14 Aug 2004.

1. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

Okay - I'm currently going through a slow transition of rack-mounting my kit ( my main rig is a coolermaster 410) and was just finishing a pedistal-type external cooler. I've scrapped that though and because I'm planning on cooling a rack kit thought I would make a rack-mounted cooler. I have a few ideas on format and such but have been struggling with one major choice. Maybe everyone can give a helping hand.

The first option I see is getting a big rad (such as aqua's 1800) and putting say 15 x 120mm fans on it with a huge fan bus on the front of the case.

The second option i saw as that if this is a separate unit with more flexibility/etc. then how about using a tec and heat exchanger? This would give a much hotter effect on one site but that could be cooled with a heatsink and say 3 x 120mm fans.

Any thoughts?

edit: just to clarify the purpose of this - I want to be able to cool multiple units at or just above room temp - I'm not all that interesting in extreme - extreme cooling.

Cheers,

Last edited: 14 Aug 2004
  2. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Gp for option 1 :thumb:

Your asking for trouble using TECs, They would simply add alot more heat into the stuation.

slater

3. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

i agree with slater not to mention you will notice your electric bill will get even more crazy. couple that with condensation risks and ugly insulation and you got something on hard core OCers really benifit from

4. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

What if I could control the Peltier and only cool the fluid say to a target to just above room temp? That would sort the condensation probs.

I'm not adverse to the rad - especially since I have the room in the case.

I will try to find an appropriate sized rad in the next few days (if anyone knows where to look then let me know :D ) and I'll do some drawings to let you know what I have in mind.

Cheers,

Tags: