1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: HYPERCUBE² 21/03/2005 PICTURES FROM CEBIT

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Joungne, 18 Jul 2004.

1. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

most fans i've tried reversing the current on just stop running [while reversed] some kindof protection i think

2. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Project HYPERCUBE² DAY 16

New update :)

15/08/2004 DAY 16

Sunday 1PM, I'm sitting on Lanscape in Waregem Belgium. Leeched enough, so I guess its time for a little update.
    I got some comments on the placement of the PSU. Someone told me it sits to close to the HD's, and that there was a risk of EMI shielding. The problem would be solved if I put some kind of metal plate behind the PSU. That's exactly what I did.

[​IMG]
    Here I'm testfitting the plate under the PSU. Its a RVS plate (2mm) That should do I guess

[​IMG]
    Mounted the PSU with Mobo standoffs on to the plate and on to the HD rack. At the bottom theirs already the distributor for the power of the 2 HD's and the DVDrom

[​IMG]
    Mounted, and hopefully EMI shielded ;-)

[​IMG]
    It fits like this. Too bad you wont be able to see the light of the fan through the sides (I mounted another RVS plate on the other side too) I'm gonna solve this by putting in leds into the Plexi.

Ok, next problem. The rheobus needs to get next to the PSU. But the Heatsinks are a bit high, they almost touch the PSU when I put it next to it. All I can do is shorten them.

[​IMG]
    The dismantled heatsinks on top.

[​IMG]
    My trusty metalsaw.

[​IMG]
    Shortened then about 8mm. That should do nicely

[​IMG]
    Pieces back on the rheobus. And still working. Nice for someone who knows nothing of these things. I'm actually proud of myself :).

[​IMG]
    Back to the PSU. The distributor for the HD's and the DVDrom

[​IMG]
    This is how the cables are gonna run from the core. FLTR : powerbutton, HD1, PSU 220v, HD2, DVDRom

[​IMG]

3. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Project HYPERCUBE² DAY 16 II

[​IMG]
    Starting the cable mounting for the DVDrom. Cutting an Aluminium profile (2* 25mm)

[​IMG]
    On top the back of the DVDrom bracket

[​IMG]
    Starting to drill the holes (15mm drillbit) I couldn't find a metal bit, so I tried a wooden bit. And It is very easy to get through the Aluminium and the plexi.

[​IMG]
    All the holes drilled. Aluminium and Plexi in 1 time so the holes match perfectly.

[​IMG]
    Rounding the edges.

[​IMG]
    The end result looks like this. Next I'm gonna cut the plexi tube.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Everything fitted together. In the middle holes I mounted 5mm leds with ledholders.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next i drilled 2 holes in the bottom panel. I'm using 6mm stereo phono jacks and this is where they will fit in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finished it looks a bit like this.

[​IMG]
    Putting in the leds on the side and the bottom. The side leds are for lighting the little plates on wich I'm gonna etch "HYPERCUBE²" and hopefully it will light up.

[​IMG]
    The leds for the bottom.

[​IMG]
    all the bottom leds wired. Notice I'm using two seperate cables to wire the bottom and side leds. They will be seperated on the rheobus. But the 2 cable lines are running through 1 phonojack. I'm using the left channel for the 12V for the side leds and the right channel for the 12V for the bottom leds. The ground is connected to each other on the ground of the plug. This way I only need 1 cable and 1 plug. The whole idea is that I can unplug the DVDrom bracket from the rest and get it out easely. The same goes for the backpanel were I used 3.5mm phonojacks to connect the 40mm fans.

Thats it for today. It's going slowly at the moment because I've got some other work to do. But I will stay on it. It will only take longer then I expected.

Greetz, Joungne

4. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

it may take long
    but the things that take long most of the time also are the most beautifull

5. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Gorgeous
    Absolutely beautifull.

I love the look of everything. I love the details.. it looks all amazing.

really lovely !

Good luck
    L

6. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

I just love the PSU-mod, it´s great fun to see someone mod the PSU to really fit the theme of the case.

This project reminds me of G-Gnome and his Orac3.. what more can I say? :jawdrop:

7. CooLJoE

CooLJoE Minimodder

Am I the only one with the idea to just desolder the LEDs on the fan?

The LEDs are likely run in serial with each other (one after another in a line). And then entire LED chain is run in parallel with the fan motor. Making the line of LEDs take 12v and the fan motor takes 12v (probably a resistor in line with the LEDs to take some of the excess voltage since the LEDs likely only need 1.5-2.0v, 4 x 2 = 8, 12 - 8 = 4v excess......but thats not important really).

So anyways if you just desolder the LEDs, the fan motor will still get the same 12v power it always has been getting and at no more amps than before either (since the fan motor dictates the amperage it uses).

Walla, just desolder them. Or clip the leds to the LEDs if they aren't surface mount.

8. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Project HYPERCUBE² DAY 17 TEASER TIME

Teaser Time,

I connected some of the leds and ledfans in a testsetup.

Enjoy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

greetz,
    Joungne

9. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Damn you and your teasers :eek: .

The case looks almost done and I'm really looking forward to seeing the full thing up and running :) .

10. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

damn, this is awesome, excellent work! I just finish to watch hypercube on tv, your case is mostly better than the movie :naughty:

11. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Are you gonna make boobytraps inside your case when somebody try's to touch your hardware? :D

12. hmekk

hmekk What's a Dremel?

:waah: :waah: give it to meeeee :waah: :waah: :waah:

13. toand

toand What's a Dremel?

Wow :eeek: Absolutly gorgeous!
    BTW I second that boobytrap idea :naughty:

14. alacritous

alacritous What's a Dremel?

K umm so heres my address

********** drive

do overnight please :D

alacritous

15. 330td

330td Minimodder

:clap: :clap:

I love your case

16. Valo

Valo Minimodder

omfg! it is faboulous, amazing, beautiful, great!

cannot think of suitable words for this :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

i wish i could make my case look like this,

17. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I rarely do this but here goes.

Very good work. Love it. Keep it up.

18. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

argeed, this case is simply stunning, i love the frosted white plexi totally perfect i love it

19. cHiX

cHiX What's a Dremel?

The Movie is so boring... Cube and Cube 2... This is unsuccessful production for me... The Cube it's only the best part of this... Traps, lights, walls, all... You have got great idea to build case for pc based on the Cube.

Btw. You can install some mini traps :D As if anybody try to push fingers inside :D

20. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Being diodes, wouldn't the LEDs just not light when reverse biased? I doubt that they would explode when incorrectly biased.