1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Modded Cases

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lazy, 18 Apr 2003.

?

What do you think of pre-modded cases

1. I love them

43 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I don't like them

242 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. No opinion, the fence is comfy

145 vote(s)
    33.7%
  1. Abadon

Abadon What's a Dremel?

too many of the same thing, simply put > TOO BORING > NOT UNIQUE!

2. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I dont think premods are so bad. I think they are ok to get ppl off my back who want me to mod their case and they can make some awsome starting point for your own mod on them. But personaly I prefer oem cases from major manufacturers like dell compaq and hp to name a fiew because I like to mod them into something no 1 has seen b4.

But thats me because I am strange. I also like old server cases from the days when they built pc's out of solid steel (ie 386 or 286 huge ibm cases)

Well modd on. Btw this thread is kind of redundant but makes conversation funn.

3. Perpetual Notion

Perpetual Notion What's a Dremel?

Hehe, this seems like it's one of those topics that won't ever be really resolved. Enthusiast modders probably aren't inclined to like the premodded case. A few years ago, if you wanted a black case with a window, a blowhole, and a bunch of lights you had to do it all yourself. Not any zidiot with a grubby handful of bills can get the same without doing any work.

Is this good or bad? I don't really know. I think it's a really neat sign about the modding community that the mainstream manufacturers are emulating the enthusiast community. The bit-tech community is, oddly enough, a real leader in the larger community of the desktop user. I think 'premodded' caes are flattery by the simplest form: Imitation.

laterz,
    Perp

4. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

That's a good point, I bet if someone did a really simple, but really amazing mod on these forums, it would be on the shelves in two months. And yes, it is flattering cause at least we know that people are taking notice and are actually improving the modding communities by releasing new things for us to destroy the warranties of... :hehe:

5. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

well since there is no set standard for a case that would mean everything that we dont mod is premodded.. so that means every one started out with a premodded case..so if u say u hate them then i ask u do u like the case u have now?? unless u make your case completely out of scratch then it is a premodd to start out with and will always have some characteristics of the case u bought from the store.. so we have all owned a premodd at one time in our lives ....haha that just kinda confused me when i was readin over it :confused: sooo i have no opinion

6. Nitsuj

Nitsuj What's a Dremel?

I would much rather do it myself. But with that being said... whats the most used case people tend to use for modding? I would say if I was looking for a case to mod I would choose the cheapest route then mod it to work with what I wanted.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2004
  7. Pantharen

Pantharen What's a Dremel?

if it is manufactured as a mod, how can it be called a mod? is mod not short for MODIFY, so something manufactured isn't modified. Should be quite and easy descion.

8. Nitsuj

Nitsuj What's a Dremel?

Sounds logical to me. I think I would look for a case that is bare bones but has enough room and bays to work with. Anything else I could just fudge. Or hell, alot of people don't even start with a case! They find something that can hold the contents of the PC and work with that. If you don't want to do the work and enjoy your personal custom case then go with the pre-mod. If you want to explore the unknown and show off... bare bones case. IMO.

9. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

pre mods can look nice, i just dont think they have the same loved and cherished look that a lot of self mods do.

i mean, if you want a window etc and a few more mods and buy a pre mod and mod it up, then fair enough.

but each to their own :D

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

i love my Tt Xaser...its extremely sturdily built, and has enough room to hold anything and everything mod-like i put in there. the only "premodded" features that wouldnt be standard on a black-painted steel box are the front door (which i love the design of, and its extremely well constructed) and the window in the side, which is pretty standard for almost any case. ive modded my XaserIII tons, and it doesnt wobble or anything, and there's plenty of room. so...i disagree, lol.

i've also completely custom-made cases from the ground up, so does buying a pre-made case make you a disgraceful, horrible modder like some people have posted? no, not at all. maybe you dont have the time, maybe you dont have a manufacturing plant with hundreds of hired labor to create a certain affect that to one consumer it would cost thousands of dollars to do. when PilouX made his latest HL2 case, Blackmesa2 (and the original Blackmesa), he used the Antec 1040, which could be considered a pre-mod case. does this mean that:
    1. he didnt do any and every mod he could to it? no.
    2. does this make the mod any less of a mod? hell no, it's an absolutely amazing project.
    just like G-gnome used the C3 in his Orac3 case. does this mean that its not a rediculously good mod? not at all. then again, G-gnome and PilouX have both also created completely custom cases. also: if a 13 year old wants to build his very first computer, and wants to set it apart from his friends with standard Dell cases by getting a cool looking pre-mod case for it, should we tell the kid to go away until he's custom modded his own case? (i know no one has gone to that extreme, but the point still remains). nah.

/me gets off the soap-box

but yeah, thats where i stand. if you want to custom-make a case, go right ahead. the only thing stopping you is yourself. but dont automatically make yourself better than anyone who uses a pre-mod, because you never know.

:thumb:

Last edited: 24 Dec 2004
  11. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I take the stand here that most pre mods are terible. Bad quality, poor airflow ect. But some are ok like the thermalake xasa (yes they are ugly!) although I dont aggree with the asthetics of it, its well made and has good airflow (my sister has one). My fave cases are like a blank canvas, but are classy to start with think black. These allow you to make a prety good looking pc without going mentle on the mods!

12. bazorama

bazorama What's a Dremel?

i have a pre-modded case and i like it and i think it has some of my personality in it and i am modding it a bit as well, i love some of the modded cases i have seen about and pre-modded cases cant compair to a well done modded case, a modded case has had ALOT more time put into its design and the level of detail that it has, which i can only admire the person for doing :)

13. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

I dont like pre mods mainly for the following-

I dont like the fact that now that you can buy mass produced cases that have taken the manufacurer 30 mins to produce when it would take a modder on here 10+ hours to do the same. :blah:

I feel that because of this pre mods make proper mods look like less work then they actuly are and so people doin the proper mods dont get the praise they did when pre mods werent around. :blah:

The whole point of modding is to make something uniqe, pre mods are not uniqe. :blah:

I dont like it that people on here have thought up some realy great ideas, the ideas have then been taken buy large companies to make them alot of money, with no work for them because people give detailed accounts of how to construct there ideas because it gives us pleasure to read how they did it. and them pleasure to see that we take a intrest in there work. :blah:

a normal person can go out and buy a case that looks just as good as a modded case with hours of work put into it, with the person buying only having to put in the time it takes to get to the shop and back. :blah:

anyway thats just my view of them.

14. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

i dislike premods. the one exception is if i am building a compuer for somebody who wants it to look cool but will never open the case, let alone take it apart and cut holes in it. otherwise, i go for a good quality case that isnt ugly. i like to do everything myself. i even searched specificly for a windowless sidepanel for my pc60 when i ****ed mine up. it also annoys me that a factory can make and sell in a couple minutes what takes me many hours.

15. xilron

xilron What's a Dremel?

Although I agree with you, I don't think that people without these tools would like to spend extra money on a case modding service. Average customers would like just a modded case in general (if they would want to show off their PC), they don't care about personality, as long as it looks cool.

I build computers, and get paid. This is just what they say and how they act.

16. NoCoolOnesLeft

NoCoolOnesLeft What's a Dremel?

i have a premodded case. Got it when i didn't really have time to mod anything... All i've 'modded' on it was a switch for my cold cathode, to bring it to the front, instead of the pci slot, which took a whopping 35 seconds with a dremel... :dremel: :blush: :p

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I bought a V770 about a year ago for this, my first pc, and have recently ordered a uv case for the project I'm going to start. As far as cases go, this has done me fine for the year, looks nice, has a window, and was much better than just getting a beige old thing until i could afford the project

<A88>

18. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Does the "Alienware case" count as a premod??? I heard, that it's just
    a modded chieftec mesh case

19. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Pretty much, yea

20. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

my case was a premod but when i got my pc i didnt know anything. now over the year(s) i have slowly modded it more myself. My next case will be all me though.