1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Slackware 10.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deviate, 16 Aug 2004.

1. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Where have I been...I just happened along to the Slackware site and what catches my eye? Slackware 10.0 has been released. Anyone tried it out yet? :hip:

2. kiwi_uk

kiwi_uk What's a Dremel?

I'm a Slackware user... it works well.

3. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Did you do the upgrade from 9.1 or a fresh install? I have read that there could be some problems trying to do just the upgrade. Some packages from 9.1 apparently don't get updated correctly or something.

4. kiwi_uk

kiwi_uk What's a Dremel?

On my main machine, I keep up to date with slackware-current and have done since installing version 9.1. I've not had any problems along the way. I use the Slackware Tool (http://www.swaret.org) to do the updates.

My friend tried to upgrade a Slackware 9.1 machine to 10 and there were some problems I think, but they would have been fixable had he not wiped the installed Slackware 10 which would be the best approach anyway.

If you don't want Gnome or KDE you only need the first CD.

Jon

5. Hargle

Hargle What's a Dremel?

I installed it on this machine (general router, dialer-upper and net browser). I've never really been that comfortable with X before, but I find myself using this quite a lot when I just want to read the news, forums, etc. Every slackware release feels much nicer to use really. I'm still running 9.1 on my server but I keep all the important stuff on that up to date.

I've got slack cds back to version 7 (some cheaplinux/cheapbytes ones ...downloaded the last few releases over dialup, hehe). I don't think I'll ever have cause to use the old ones though. I mean it is better than before... :)

6. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

How's this for bad luck? I was upgrading my slackware box from 9.1 to 10.0 and I noticed that I was getting a few errors here and there...lilke bad sector. Well...I decided to go ahead and see how much would be upgraded anyway, maybe it was only a bad package or two. I stepped out of my office to get an adult beverage and when I come back I hear this high pitched whine/sqeal sound. I checked my wife's pc...it wasn't coming from there. I checked my main rig...nope. Got down on the floor to check the slackware server and there is where it was coming from. "That's odd", I thought. I switch back to the display for the slackware box and all I see is line after line of something like:

drive not ready for command
    ATAPI reset complete
    error.....
    drive not ready for command

ad nauseum.

Needless to say...the drive is dead. Wouldn't be a big deal as it was an old drive that I figured was on it's way out. But I had all of my config files on that drive. :sigh: Now to get a new drive a start over.

7. tomd

tomd What's a Dremel?

I'm running a little K6-2 server (sometimes) with it, and it works great!

8. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I've ordered a new hard drive from newegg. It should be here Friday. So I reckon I'll spend this weekend rebuilding my little K6-2 server. Oh well...at least I'll get to learn it all over again and maybe not make some of the mistakes I did the first time. :D

Tags: