1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Framed PSone lcd - Completed

Discussion in 'Modding' started by fishthecat, 15 Aug 2004.

1. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

Sunday is a great day for modding, :dremel: so I'm framing my PSone LCd.

Firstly, I followed the wiring for the power and AV back to the circuit board and hard wired a power and AV cable to the relevent places.

[​IMG]

I then cut a piece of fiber board into a 4:3 rectangle and glue-gunned the LCD into it. I cut a couple of notches on the left and glued the power socket and the AV lead in place.

[​IMG]

Next I got some thick card to make a mask out of. I cut a 4"x3" hole in the middle with a craft knife.

[​IMG]

Using double-sided sticky tape, I lined up the mask with the image in the LCD and stuck it down.

[​IMG]

Now I needed a frame. I took some of this:

[​IMG]

and made this:

[​IMG]

Here's a piccie of the dry fit.

[​IMG]

I'm going to paint the frame black. It's currently drying with a layer of primer on it at the moment.
    I'll post some pics of the finished result as soon as it's done. :)

FYI, I've got it hooked up to the TV out on my Epia 800. the bios settings are PAL, underscan, and dedot.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2004
  2. kracso

kracso What's a Dremel?

A nice simple mod ....
    I think it looks good :thumb:

3. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Wow, that looks really neat. Is it going to sit like a frame would, or hang on a wall? Either way, it looks great :) .

4. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

very very nice... picture frame digital... nice.!

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Now that's a good idea :)

6. fishthecat

I'm going to stand it up. It's going to be the display for my mp3/file server.

7. fishthecat

dot/dedot

I've tried both "dot" and "dedot" settings for the TV out, and they both look the same to me. Does anyone know what the different settings do?

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

how is it connected to the PC? becuase the way you have done it seems alot lot easier than the mods people have dont for putting it in the floppy bays!! and much more interesting as well, does it still work like the extended desktop??

9. fishthecat

The epia 800 has onboard VGA-out and TV-out. I've used an audio cable to connect the screen to the TV-out port on the mobo. The cable is a 'red and white plugged' phono RCA to stereo minijack lead. I used the RED phono end plugged into the TV-out on my mobo, and the minijack plugged into the AV-in on the PSone screen. Later, I used half of an old headphone extension cable to replace the AV-in port as you can see in the pics.

This Mod is 'only' using the AV-in on the PSone screen so it's not as good an image as using the VGA mod you've seen in the bit-tech article (http://bit-tech.net/article/136/). The screen quality is lower using AV-in. I've got around it by using windows large fonts and icons and upping all fonts I can find to 16pt. I needed to change my web browser to 'largest' to read websites.
    So it's a trade off between resolution and ease of set up.
    AV: quick setup but lower quality graphics
    VGA: best looks, but soldering and Powerstrip program to setup.

I'm putting up with 'just' using the AV-in because I can't fit a pci graphics card into the case.

When I had it running off the TV-out on my main system, I did just extend my desktop onto it, that worked fine as an extended desktop, but it was very red-tinted. The colours from the epia TV-out are great though, so I think it was my graphics card. (Gainward TI4200)

10. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

ahh too much hard work! lol

11. fishthecat

Finished

I've sprayed the frame black and I've put it all together. Here's the end result.

[​IMG]

Here it is being the monitor for my MP3 Jukebox PC. The other items are my amp and speakers.
    Here's it off.

[​IMG]

Here's everything running. (and on the wonk)

[​IMG]

Here's a rear view. I've taped the gubbins into the frame for now, but I'll glue it in later. I've made a stand out of more card.

[​IMG]

Mmm... thin... (20mm)

[​IMG]

I've got mediacar (http://www.mediacar.org/) starting automatically. It's perfect for my mp3 PC.
    EDIT Try here for mediacar: http://users.skynet.be/media-car/software.html

[​IMG]

12. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

I really like, but the site is dead... real good job on the frame... :D

13. fishthecat

14. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

Thats pretty damn cool. :eeek:

15. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

nice work, I decided just 2 days ago to do the same thing when i get the money id seen it done before and found it rather snazy, anyways it looks good running mediapc or what ever that program was called, i will post pics of mine when i get money .... Bowling costs alot of money :p

well done

16. fishthecat

When you've posted the pics of yours, perhaps you could stick a link to it here.
    Happy Modding :dremel: Hope all goes well.

17. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

media pc

Now that media pc, what are the specs on it. I really like the idea, but i dont understand. Is mediacar an OS??

18. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

mediacar, I'd imagine, is software which works in very much the same way as winamp/wmp but has a cool interface designed to work well with touchscreens and the like on in-car PCs.

Looks good :thumb: :rock:

19. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

I wish i had time and money to do that.......really awesome :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

20. MaxPOwer

MaxPOwer What's a Dremel?

Fishthecat - Is there any way you can post what points you soldered the AV cable to? I have been trying to get it working the same way that you did for a day, but cant seem to get a signal. i traced everything back, but no dice....

Thank you so much for a responce!! :D

Last edited: 16 Dec 2004