1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warhammer Column

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 16 Aug 2004.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i dunno that all warhammer computer games were crap.

i remember shadow of the horned rat being a pretty good game...

3. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I bought loads of the dudes but never ever played the table top game, I think there are a lot of people that did the same. Painting them was almost fun.

4. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Imperial guards > * tbh

But lets not start an army flaming war :p, never played any of the games, but from the column im tempted to give this one a go, as I love all the warcraft & Red alert etc games (mining was a bugger though..)

- M@

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Watching the paint dry was really entertaining. :hip:

6. Bob 1234

Bob 1234 What's a Dremel?

this is the best game they've made I played both the table top board game and now this, I love 'em! The game is t3h sh!z plus now it's an open beta so it's free!

-Bob

7. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Oh God, geeky Warhammer – I hate that stuff

8. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

I really couldn't agree more!

Some of the table top games were pretty good before GW turned into a PLC and dummed them all down for the kids... I guess they decided that the enthusiast market just wasn't lucrative enough...

Space Hulk & Blood Bowl were both great and the Space Hulk computer game wasn't too bad just hard!

But as you say th 40K universe was just so deep, well detailed and documented.

As far as Dawn of War goes I hope it's as good as it should be! Might have to give the Beta a go, the unit style of play and resource system sound spot on!

:Fingers crossed:

9. Luukas

Luukas What's a Dremel?

Mmm... might just order this one from (blatant irrelevant add) from play.com - 18£/28€ delivered isn't bad :worried:

As for PC game titles, I rather enjoyed WH40K: Chaos Gate, and Rites of War aswell, which was very much like Fantasy General.

10. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

It sounds like a relly good game (both real life and computer) but warhammer has to be the most geekyest thing ever concived! I mean have you walked passed one of those games workshop stores lately? Some of the of the people in there just scare me whith there geekyness :worried:

I dont want to end up like that! :waah:

*hides in corner*

11. iLL TeK

iLL TeK What's a Dremel?

this looks pretty interesting. i had been in the warhammer 40k scene for about 2 years and collected quite a few nice armies(which are for sale btw). but i have just creeped out of it because there were just too many other things i wanted to do.

12. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

What armies you selling?

I've been into it for a few years, just expanding from the sci-fi 40K into warhammer fantasy. The screenshots of Dawn of War looks seriously sweet, heres hoping it does well.

Oh, and it aint always down to one roll of the dice...

13. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

*Cough* Blatant Advertising *Cough*

Anyway i thought i'd give this a go but when i downloaded it, it seems that i need to be incredibly lucky and have a cd key for it to work. Ahhh well i'm due some luck at the moment.

14. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Bleuch, marines... I do find it fairly sad that I can remember exactly what the games day '99 captain looks like, though :(

15. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

What I would really like to see is a turn-based (which may be run in real-time) one-to-multiplayer computer version of the tabletop WH Fantasy or 40k. A simulation of the tabletop game with the same army lists, rules etc. You could generate armies using the points system just as you would for the miniatures game. A campaign option for single and multiplayer would be cool (with multiplayer campaigns being able to be played over weeks/months with regular battles as armies contest nation borders,etc).

All the RTS versions, while kinda fun, still don't have the depth or flexability of the tabletop rules IMHO with limited troop types, customisation, etc. Plus the enjoyment of time to carefully think about moves and tactics.

They'll probably never make one as they might feel it would threaten (highly profitable) sales of figures and rulebooks, etc (who would need those if there was an awesome computer version)? Personally, I think there is a market for it and it's this sort of product from GW that would get me interested in the Warhammer mythos again. I was into it in 1983 and played until about 1993, seeing the newer and updated versions of the game coming out over the years. When the army I had spent 10 years building and painting was stolen, it put me off miniature gaming. Plus White Dwarf magazine, which I liked at the time (it used to be a non-GW general RPG mag - and a kickass one at that) got bought out by GW around issue 90 and turned into it's promotional vehicle. I love the tabletop game but would never get into buying and painting miniatures again.

Not being a RTS fan, I don't know about this one, I'll probably give it a go though as it does look good.

16. Carbon

Carbon Banned

I used to buy all the white dwarf books and had some of the space marine figures o/ and tbh i cant wait for dawn of war to come out :D i have warhammer 40k: fire warrior and i love it :D

17. henson0115

henson0115 Banned

i downloaded it and they didnt gtive me a cd key so i carnt play it dam

18. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

My brothers used to collect them.

My elder brother would "play the game" and was also into Dungeons & Dragons etc at the time. My other brother was more into it for the artistic approach.

19. bleecher

bleecher What's a Dremel?

right for a CD-Key you have to sign up on the PRE-BETA which is now losed. the thing is each person who is chosen for the BETA is given there own cd-key.

i have been in the beta testing for a few months, and have been playing if through some major changes.

its just a typical ritual game, but does play abit more different -and the huge battles can be amazing especially since you can zoom right up to say a space marines gun.

20. bleecher

bleecher What's a Dremel?

also, when ur in the beta you get access to the private forums -giving you updated info on the games and its units etc etc

Tags: Add Tags