1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding question on buttons...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kingskin, 17 Aug 2004.

1. Kingskin

Kingskin What's a Dremel?

i want to buy some Bulgin vandal resistant buttons to replace my existing power and reset case buttons, but after looking on farnell im not sure which type i need. Could anyone let me know what i need, and if its not too much of a mission briefly describe what the difference is between each of them in case i need any other type of switches for other purposes. The ones ive seen are:

Single Pole
    SPCO
    SPNO
    SPNO Momentary
    SPNO/SPNC

Thanks very much for any help :)

2. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

SPNO Momentary

Single Pole, Normally Opened, Momentary

3. princexxx

princexxx What's a Dremel?

Think of it this way
    Normally opened = no connection therefore no circuit therefore not on. once you press it, the circuit is completed which allows the computer to start.
    momentarily = for a small part of time. therefore once it has turned the compuer on, it will not keep trying to turn the computer on. Its like an ignition in a car in a way.

4. Kingskin

excellent thanks for your help princexxx & Skylined :thumb:

5. Kingskin

OK so i'll use SPNO for both power and reset, but i've decided i'd like to use a matching button to turn all my case lighting on and off - am i right in thnking that i need SPNO/SPNC for this? Im assuming this means Single Pole Normally Open / Single Pole Normally Closed. Or do i just need a normal single pole one?

Sorry for the simple question but all i know about electronics ive learnt in the last few days since i reistered here :blush:

:hip:

6. coorz

coorz Miffed

Well that's not possible with that Bulgin momentary switch. You'll need a flipflop circuit to realise that.

7. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

For one of those bulgin illuminated buttons... do they usually house a 3mm or a 5mm LED?

8. coorz

coorz Miffed

Specsheet will perhaps mention that. But there's no way of dismantling the Bulgin without some serious hacking. It's anti-vandal resistant remember :)

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

afaik, you can't replace the LEDs in those switches.
    (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)

10. Kingskin

ok cheers *off to google flipflop curcuit!*

out of interest, what would happen if i were to put a button/switch on the +ve line that powered the lighting?

11. coorz

coorz Miffed

Why Google if you have the Electronics forum here :thumb:

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

13. Kingskin

Excellent anwswer cpemma thats exactly what i needed! and youve even included a nice n00b friendly diagram alongside the scary looking curcuit diagram! :D Ill have to have a look round the rest of the site too. Thanks again ;)

14. Kingskin

OK im going to go ahead and get the parts to make this curcuit, ive searched for them on farnell, but i just want to make sure ive definitely got the right stuff, is there any chance someone could have a look and make sure these are the correct things to buy:

4013B dual D-type Flip Flop, 14-pin DIL socket

IRF530 n-channel mosfet

1M 0.25W Resistor

1k 0.25W Resistor

100k 0.25W

This i have no idea about, i took a stab in the dark with it so this especially i could do with confirmation on:
    100n ceramic disc or mylar film capacitor

Also i see 2 components marked T1 & t2 on the picture of the curcuit board, but theres no reference to them in the pats list and they dont seem to appear on the curcuit diagram - I take it these are transistors - are these optional components? And im probably being a dumbass, but where does part Q, the IRF530 n-channel mosfet go? Is this in place of the transistors shown in the photo?

One last thing, at the bottom of the article it says:

"If you're wanting to switch a relay or other reactive load, a diode (eg, an ultrafast 1A 400v UF4004) should be connected across each pair of output terminals on rows 1 & 3, banded cathode end to +12v on row 1. They're not needed for brushless fans."

How does this affect the cold cathode lighting that i'm intending to switch with it? do i need this extra component for that? Will this also work with LEDs/LED arrays?

Sorry for being such a pain in the arse but ive never made anything like this before and i'd really like it to work right! :dremel:

Last edited: 20 Aug 2004
  15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Your link is 100pF, you need 100nF =0.1uF

Can't see cheap ones at Farnell, they're only about 6p even at Maplin.

My bad, the schematic program (Circuitmaker) labels transistors Q, Stripboard Magic labels them T. T=Q, both are transistors.

To cover anything you might connect I'd fit the diodes, they're only 9p each.

16. Kingskin

cool thanks for your help cpemma, ill get on and make this asap :)

17. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

Hmmmmm :D :dremel: