1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The Fridge PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wombatjelly, 18 Aug 2004.

1. wombatjelly

wombatjelly What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone,

I'm about to embark on the curious journey of building a PC into an old fridge (surely the ultimate in cooling!). I've laid out the basic components and drawn up some sketches of my plans for the fridge. However, these involve some cutting and drilling through the sides or top of the fridge. I know that they uses gases inside some form of piping system. Can anyone tell me where it's safe to cut? I'm a bit nervous cause it's quite an old fridge and may contain CFC gas. Once i've got past this little milestone, it should be a pretty cool mod as I have some big plans for it.

I just don't wanna poision the environment and my neighbour's dog in the process...

2. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

Have you thought about condensation?

It´ll be a big problem.. search the forums and read up on it!

3. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

one fridge pc comming up :thumb:

[​IMG]
    :duh:

If you were to do this I think there would be a condesation isue.
    plus fridge's work on intervals, meaning it would cool for about 10min then stop and when ur computer is running it would heat up and then cool down when the fridge starts. this would cause condensation.

Edit, why do you need to cut holes?

Last edited: 18 Aug 2004
  4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

But if you put it in a freezer, than there wont be any moisture in the air to condense :D but Im not sure if the pc would work at that temp though.

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

as everyone else here is mentioning, condensation could be a SERIOUS problem.

But, if you're throwing caution to the wind, most fridges have piping on the top and on the back. The two side panels are almost always insulation, as is the door.

6. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Perhaps try to make a condenser, like some houses have, that will take the moisture out of the air and pipe it out of the fridge. I don't know if that will work in a fridge, but it's a thought.

7. fatty

fatty Minimodder

cover the board in dialetic grease dc4 or get a vac pump and vacuum all the moisture out of the fridge make sure its sealed real well :eeek:

8. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Its possible, been done many many times.

As the componants will still be at a higher temp than ambiant condensation should not occur. (the pc will run cooler but this doesnt matter as the air inside the fridge is cooler aswell. hence no condensation)

BUT! theres one big problem - You cant open the door :duh:

You see as soon as you open the door hotter air will flood in and the moisture in it will condense. Back to square one again :sigh:

Ive done this before but not for any length of time. (for obvious reasons) One thing i can suggest is to get some silica gel and stick it in there to abosorb most of the moisture.

slater..

9. Nova Kain

Nova Kain What's a Dremel?

sounds like one cool case if you can get it to fly! :rock:

10. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

also search for Conformal sprays, they are used in applications like underwater cameras where condensation is a given. They are a clear spray you put over the board that should make it realatively condensation proof. Also put in a big bucket of water (sealed though) it will help balance the thermal load. I thought about doing this with my minifridge, but its way too useful.

11. lasoaaro

lasoaaro What's a Dremel?

Do you plaon on using the Fridge as a cooling system for the Computer? 'Cause if not, then why not go outside, Cut the main piping system, let all the gasses out then go for it..?

12. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

never mind this post, accident