1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project....ehmm...Work in progress? (mmm pics) update 8/21

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by vtoe, 14 Aug 2004.

1. vtoe

vtoe What's a Dremel?

Im gonna call it work in progress becasue I dont have all the parts needed to complete it yet. But within the next week to 2 weeks everything will be off backorder and available to buy.

The case I am using is from my existing pc. Its a Lian-li pc-65. My plan is to cut the front bezel and front of the case to allow more air flow. I really like the G5 / lnew lian look so Im on the hunt for some perforated aluminum. A single or possibly dual 120mm fan will sit in the front to get some well needed air flowing. I also want to integrate a self feeding cdrom combo so I can just make a small slit in the perf' aluminum, outlined by a solid piece of aluminum. I would like to have the perf' aluminum in the rear also but I havent really looked at how to go about doing that yet.

Well here we go!
    [​IMG]

Already to be taped up.
    [​IMG]

All tapped up and ready to be DESTROYED!!!! hahaha :D
    [​IMG]

I picked up some new sheet metal(extra smooth/fine toothed) bits. Using a jigsaw and having a steady hand helped out. Alot of you guys use rotors to do big long straight cuts dont you? Good thing I had safety goggles on. Chips were flying everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it turned out pretty good I think. 2 or 3 spots need to be sanded but other then that I was right on point. Better to have extra pieces sticking out that I can sand off then to have went past my mark.
    [​IMG]

I didnt get an pics of me sanding the edges cause dust was all over my hands and in the air. I made my own sanding block out of a 2"x 1" and stapled some sandpaper around it. I wanted a nice long flat surface so I could get perfect lines. After that I had some nerf like sanding blocks left over from a previous drywall job I did. They worked well to clean up any burs along the edges and give it that finshed look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im tempted to take my whole case apart today and just use my laptop for the rest of the time until parts are available. Its supposed to rain up here on the east coast from tonight through the week, so I'll have nothing to do but mod my case :cool: . I could always just pull out my mobo tray and leave it on my desk running but I dont think my kitty and open pc mix well. See what happens.

vToe

Last edited: 22 Aug 2004
  2. hmekk

hmekk What's a Dremel?

:D how did u dare to cut all the rfont panel out :D

3. MaxPOwer

MaxPOwer What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome! Cant wait to see more pics!

4. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

It takes balls to cut a $100-$200 case likes, balls I say

5. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

i would not got the balls to that!!!! i hope it will turn out great
    good luck :thumb:

6. OverFloW

OverFloW What's a Dremel?

exactly what i was thinking!

7. RaZoRbLaDe

RaZoRbLaDe What's a Dremel?

Hehe this is kinda the same thing I did, but I didn't like the new front so threw the whole idea out of the window... And made a door etc :p

My initially modded lian front:

[​IMG]

All I can say is, Good Luck :D

8. bleecher

bleecher What's a Dremel?

aye i done smilar and fitted mesh, bu when the costs went up, i gave in

still i have a half modded lian0li just sat here :waah:

9. Toumai

Toumai What's a Dremel?

AHHHHHHH!

You mauled that poor Lian Li!!

Respect thy Lian Li. You best have a good reason for carving her face out. Good luck.

10. vtoe

vtoe What's a Dremel?

Hey razor. I followed your mod while you were doing it. I really liked the look of opening up the front of the case. You shoulda kept it like that :thumb:, still turned out great though. I also respect the work you did. I hope I can keep all my lines as straight as yours.

Thanks everyone for your support!!!

Btw..I ended up tearing my pc apart. Its sitting in the garage all taped up ready to be hacked up a bit more. Just waiting on the digi came to get back to my house. Sis had to take it with her. Dont wanna miss out on any photo ops :D

vToe

11. vtoe

vtoe What's a Dremel?

Finally she came back. Here it sat for a couple hours all taped up while I waited for her to get back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cutting this was alot eaiser since I didnt have to worry about messing up as much since its on he inside. Also Im getting the feel of the new metal bits which cut lovely.
    [​IMG]

All sanded up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can you say "air flow".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im gonna be cutting up a bit higher. The lowest 5.25 bay will end up cutting cut off a bit, if not totally. I just ordered this
    [​IMG]
    but it prolly wont be here till tuesday.Im only using the inner tray of it. I want the cdrom drive to sit half way down the top bay and then the HD rack directly under it. Once I figure out the exact spot I can chop off, ITS GONE! I want to be able to fit dual 120mm fans. Down the road I plan on adding a dual 120mm radiator for my future wc setup. Its always good to plan ahead.

See ya soon!

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

All you people afraid of modding Lian Li cases... I didn't think twice about taking the dremel to mine :)
    Which is probably why the window was too close to the back edge and wouldn't let the panel close... getting a replacement panel was a bit irritating :waah:

I like it so far, although I have no idea where it's going...

13. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

i like it keep up the good work

14. vtoe

vtoe What's a Dremel?

Heres a small update.

I ordered most of the stuff I need for my case.

Athlon 64 3500 939pin
    OCZ DDR PC-3700 Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Dual Channel
    Western Digital - Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 10K rpm 8MB Hard Drive
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Limited Edition
    ThermalRight XP-120
    Lian-Li EX-23 Silver Drive Bay Expansion/Kooling kit

There are only 2 things on backorder.
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2400 Golden Sample GeForce 6800 GT AGP 8X 256MB
    Both should be coming in later this week. So I hope...

A couple things are still up in the air. CD/DVD combo drive for one. I want a slot loading drive but havent come across anything I like. Another thing is fans. Ive looked around and found that most 120mm fans max out at 2000rpm. I plan on adding a fan controller so it would be nice to juice them up while my system is under load and turn them down while im trying to sleep. The problem I see is 2000rpm isnt "juiced" up in my book.

If anyone has some insight on either of these things please leave some info.

Thnx

vToe

15. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

wow im liking the specs!!

Good luck dude!!

16. pjwerdna

pjwerdna What's a Dremel?

How about...

Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan (EHE) (FFB1212EHE)

- Speed - 4000RPM
    - Output - 190 CFM
    - Decibels - 59dBA
    - Dimensions - 120x120x38

Info nicked from Overclockers UK - Delta Fans but there must be other suppliers.

17. vtoe

vtoe What's a Dremel?

Update!!!

Yay!!! My parts are starting to roll in one buy one. So by the end of the weekend I should be 90% finshed. Theres only two things holding me up. One is this perforated metal I want for the front of my case. I cant seem to find it cheaper then 80$ for a 1'x2' piece. The other is the case fans I want. The multi color ones I can find but the all blue, which I want. I cant find anywhere. I even had my friend call peru today and speak up some spanglish for me. Still no luck. If anyone knows where to find these to part number fans. AL12025-LD2 and AL8025-LD2 PLEASE PM ME!!! I reall ythink they will compliment the front of my case nicely. since its going to be almost open. I like how these fans glow in the center and the solid outer parameter doesnt.
    [​IMG]

On to the update!!!!! Heres where I left off. Waiting for my new HD rack to come in so I could measure it up before cutting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Off they go! Aluminum rivets drill very very easy!!
    [​IMG]

Marked and taped, ready to be CHOPPED!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AHHHH WHAT I DOO!!! I MESSED UP! j/k Here it is...
    [​IMG]

Heres the little extra I need to tak off the front of my case to get my dual 120mm fans to fit with ease.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All sanded up. Got my new rivet gun and Im ready to go!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here she is all finshed.
    I really think it came out nice. Cant wait to make a sweet looking bracket/mount for the fans in the front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Until next time!!!!

18. Silverstrand

Silverstrand What's a Dremel?

Great work so far. I hope to work with a LL some day, yet that extra cash needed for that kind of project seems to trouble me. Good luck!

19. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Very nice choice on the Skill saw.

Second only to DeWalt in my mind zips on through even 1" OAk with out a problem.

O and Nice Mod btw :D

20. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

looking nice....

who is reading the paper in that one picture?

side "note"--where are you in nj...?