1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Report from QuakeCon 2004

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 17 Aug 2004.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

2. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Lol i didnt know they let a guy building a pc for ATI into a a NVida contest :hehe:

Congrats Zap :D

Can you post a pic of your new rig ? :D

3. DemonEater

DemonEater What's a Dremel?

Vizzini and friends were totally ROBBED in that contest. It was one of the things that annoyed me about QuakeCon this year. R2PC was OK, but lacked the originality of the newspaper case. That second place went to a guy whose job it is to build modded cases and take them to LANs as promotional tools seem to me a little unfair. The third place box I didn't really see at all except for one picture, and it didn't look all that awesome in it. But honestly. A big honking bright yellow newspaper stand with a computer, UPS, and switches built in is the coolest and most original case mod I'd ever seen.

They so totally should have won. At least PLACED, jeez.

And I'm not biased just because Sanford picked me up from DFW.

4. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

I was the one who came in second and I don't get paid to make cases, but I wish I did. That would be cool. I think you have me confused with Zap and his ATI/AMD PC. I too loved the newspaper mod, and thought it had a good chance of winning. In fact I thought a lot of cases there were so good that I didn't even try and get my hopes up. Judging is a very subjective thing though and I think the judges leaned heavy on ground up systems.

5. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with demoneater on the first prize mod. I got a close look at it before the ceremony, and I'll admit the thing was well put together, but it was as tacky as white socks and black shoes... or maybe orange socks and pink shoes. Anyway, Sheldog, your case flat out rocked. :rock: If anyone got robbed it was you. I loved seeing it online, and it was even more stunning to see in person. The third place one was nice as well, although it seemed to me it belonged on the stage of an engravers convention.

Congrats on the win Zap! Couldn't have gone to a better guy.

Oh and yeah... if you missed it, well, sucks to be you.

6. Nova Kain

Nova Kain What's a Dremel?

Congrats on the contest!

Looks like tons of fun, is the next one held a year from now?

7. ZapWizard

I would, but I don't have it yet.
    (They are shipping it to me)

Yep, QuakeCon is always in the middle of August, arguably the funnest LAN around.

In response to DemonEater's comments The first place winner was very high quality as far as build quality. The metal shell was hand made, not removed from a can or something.

I think the newspaper mod should have been a little higher up, but I think it got docked some points as it wasn't totaly complete yet.

Basicly I agree with the top two, third was anyones guess.
    I would have given Sheldog first however, as he also modded the keyboard and mouse to match the PC.

8. DemonEater

Oh, my apologies, I get confused easily :)
    I didn't pay much attention to the case mod competition, and just went from conversations I had with people afterwards.

Where are pics of your case, anyway? I've been hard-pressed to locate any.

9. ZapWizard

10. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Grrrr my case shall be complete next year! *shakes fist*

In any case, I was very impressed with Zap's AMD shuttle. He deserves everything AMD is paying him (or offereing him, forgot their deal terms)

I figured people would remember me again this year...first year I screwed in only 2 of the 4 PSU bracket screws, that cost me the first year...this year the hard drive. Third times a charm, eh? :D

I wish I had seen Sheldog by his PC, I read his whole log explaining how he made his case and I would have liked to shake his hand. Ah well. Zap, who was manning that wooden case next to your Shuttle? I've seen only the pictures, never a log.

I think the Newspaper machine mod was a good case idea, saw it in person and it was well made, but I agree that it shouldn't have placed, not being complete. On that note, anyone know if the judges look at stock cases that have been heavily modded, or just unique cases (like Sheldog's and the Newspaper one)?

11. DemonEater

Oh well, next year they'll have the monster complete and maybe they'll place.

Except next year I'll have my TARDIS there. Muhahaha. God I hope the judges know what it is.

And sorry to Zap for not fact-checking the conversations I had before taking them to heart; I'll have to bitchslap some people next year.

And I have to admit that UT2k4 case is pretty damn reet.

12. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

It has been said there need to be two contest. Once for regular(stock) Case Modding and one for Ground up modding. It it just so hard to get the sponsors for one event, let alone two. :grr:

Sometimes I feel like Modders are treated like second class citizens compared to Gamers.

13. ZapWizard

That was Mr. Red, with Deja. The project log is here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=44237

We are going to make a lighted, wooden keyboard this weekend.
    (Hopefully)

I agree, in fact nVidia "WAS" supposed to hold a two-part mod contest.
    But somehow VIA got QuakeCon to block them from doing it as VIA's was "offical" :miffed: :grr: :wallbash:

VIA's contest was like a typical first time mod contest, judges came around randomly, talked to the modders hardly at all, and there were no participation prizes.

Modders put lots of time into their art, and at a large event with tousands of PC's and nearly 100 modded PC's, the prizes need to be bigger.

1st was $2000, 2nd was $500, and third was a motherboard!

For a LAN of that size I would have split it up like this:
    1st: $5000
    2nd: $2000 - $2500
    3rd: $1000
    Extra hardware prizes for honerable mentions, and special mods (Ugly, ghetto, etc...)
    If there was only one contest, if two the premods get 1/3 as much money

Every mod participant would get at least t-shirt or hat.

Even at many smaller LANs Modders get the short end of the stick.
    Sheldog for example came to the TXGF Austin LAN, he won first.
    His prize: A $50 case (Or less, sheldog can confirm)

I remember that the PSU that was given away for second place was worth more money then the case. (The case was larger however :sigh: )

A week later at the TXGF Dallas LAN (Same sponsors) the 5th place winner in counterstrike got a 128MB graphics card (Radeon 9600 I think)

So a note to all sponsors and LAN cordinators: MODDERS WANT BIGGER PRIZES :dremel:

14. DemonEater

Yay politics. I know the entire QuakeCon staff would have loved to have had the best case mod competitions possible, but VIA probably got there first to be the "official" competition and then didn't want nVidia stealing their thunder with a better one. Sigh. I'd really have liked nVidia to do one with split categories unofficially, but when we're talking about money to run the event (and DAMN it's expensive), them's the breaks.

Well, have a gentle word with the VIA guys. From the infodesk point of view it was a bad competition too - we had no idea how the thing was run, when judging was, how judging worked, when the results would be announced and prizes given... we probably fielded the most unanswerable questions about the contest.

I'd have loved to see the bigger prizes too, perhaps prizes of some sort (small cash, hardware, whatever) all the way down through 10th. But the company decides how much money to give out, and hey, they don't have to even sponsor a competition at all, but they do, so we have to be grateful.

I wish QuakeCon had the manpower to do our own official mod competition. Maybe next year we won't be over-reaching our grasp running four major tournaments, and can spare some people. Of course there would still be a struggle coming up with money and prizes, but that way we could perhaps draw from each of the sponsors rather than limiting to one.

Hey, if any of you want to volunteer to take that on next year, now's the time to start talking to the execs about it.

15. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Ya I guess it would have been strange if nVidia's mod comp overshadowed the "Via Master Modders." :hehe: I talked to some of the Via guys, they were pretty cool. :thumb: I think it is awsum that they invited a modder to come stay in their booth for the show. That can do nothing but help the modding community. :clap: I do wish that they would have had better coverage for the mods. I dont think the winners have even been mentioned on the font page for QuakeCon news. :confused:

16. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

I went, saw you, and could only stay for 15 minutes. I Got grounded, but I just picked up sponsors, and am working on 4 pc's, and I've got some stuff that will knock even your socks off.

17. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

I got their card, and aerocools. :) There the ones who said they could prob. sponsor me if i got a site up...

18. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Lol, at a LAN, they canceled a mod contest cause the say my H2... said there want comp... I got Bawls though.

19. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

I couldn't agree more, and not because I came in 10th or even entered. Motherboards can't cost VIA much at all. If it wouldn't detract from the whole competition, they could seriously afford to hand out hardware prizes to the top 20, easy.

Also, I would have liked to have seen more cases in the awards ceremony as honorable mentions. Not on tables or anything, maybe just placed along the front of the stage. Just so you could see them all. I walked around the whole place (byoc) several times looking at cases, but I've seen several in pics online, that had to be in the top 20 that I didn't see in the byoc when I was there.

Also, ArmyAnt you are allowed to have more than one quote per post. Just copy and paste the first and last quote tags and put them around the quote.

20. redux

redux What's a Dremel?

Did anyone get any pictures from the Ugliest PC contest on Saturday? I didn't have my camera at the time and I haven't found any online anywhere.