1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Kasto

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Phlek, 22 Aug 2004.

1. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

Hey there!

I've been around these forums for a while now, not much of a poster but more of an onlooker. I've decided to start a project of my own, its called Kasto. A while ago I bought this case on ebay intending to use it for modding, but I never got to it. As you can see this is a big case, a very big case (picture below). I beleive it's the same case that bard used to put his nice vandal resistance switch on. This case is pretty damn boring, and there's no way around it....well other then modding the hell out of it, which I intend to do, SO LET'S GET STARTED!

This is the case, very big, very boring, VERY shallow (only about 1 ft 2 in.)
    [​IMG]

I'll be starting with the front panel. Going to be taking the face plate off the bottom section and place 2 60 MM fans for intake.
    [​IMG]

Needed to cut out some plastic that was in the way, also going to have to do it with the frame of the case.
    [​IMG]

I used some wood for a little bit of a filler and also a place to put the fans, just so I wouldn't waste a bunch of putty, little boo boo on the curve there :wallbash: .
    [​IMG]

This is the first layer of putty that I applied, I also plane on getting rid of the exsisting power and reset switch along with the 2 LED's.
    [​IMG]

That's where I am right now, more updates today though so sit tight!

2. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far!

It would be nice if you told us a bit about your plans for the case..

3. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

Good idea. :thumb:

Well I have a lot of room in the front bezel right now, I usually only have one drive and the six drive bays on the case right now mean nothing to me. I wanted to flatten out the whole front to make it seamless with the rest of it. I'm thinking of either making some sort of a design in the front and then instead of plexi put mesh, or maybe add some more fans, I haven't really made up my mind yet. Yet for the top I have a couple of ideas, here is some concept:

[​IMG]

My computer is on the ground so I figured why not have all the important stuff on the top of the case? I'm sure that will take up most of the top of the case. I still have some measuring to do so we'll soon find out. The grey plates will be made of 1/8" thick aluminum that I can hopefully find and somehow cut and curve the edges to my liking. If anyone has some ideas please throw them out there. I'm going to stop by RadioShack soon to by some toggle switches, LED's, LED Holders....the whole shabang. I don't have a definate plan for the entire case yet so anything is apt to change. BTW I'm a sucker for mesh and I love the look of it.

I found some wall vents at Home Depot that I could some how use for the exhaust, either on the side panel of the case or even at the top, closer to the back.

[​IMG]

Right now this case is like an oven and I need as much ventalation as I can get, yet making it look cool in the proccess. Back to work on that front bezel for now. Tata!

4. Litecore

Litecore What's a Dremel?

hey Phlek, why did you go with dual 60 mm's in the front ?
    looks like you could have 80 mm's instead, pushing the same amount
    of air as the smaller ones but at lower RPMs.. imho, as they say :)
    it's quite easy to make the holes with a dremel or just file them
    bigger in case you'd change you mind or something :p