1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P4 2,4 @ 3,06 - high temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Miirk, 23 Aug 2004.

1. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

Hi guys!

I have a P4 2,4 ghz (533 FSB) running @ 3,06 ghz and the temps are worrying me. It runs at 44 C idle and about 51 C with full load.

For your information I use the supplied intel heatsink/fan and the airflow in the case is taken care of by two 120mm Papst fans.

I guess the solution to this problem can be as easy as putting some new thermal paste on the cpu, I´ll go get some AS5 tomorrow, but still.. any thoughts?

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

You should be fine @ those temps, im not sure what your setup is, but try to tidy up cables to maximize airflow through your case. AS5 should also help. If you have any more space for fans, then i reccomend useing them as airflow through the case is what really helps bring temps down imo. Before i got watercooling i did a test with case fans and found that my load temp was 56 with the fans off and 37 load with them on full ( 2x 80mm intake, 2x 80 out). Although that was without an overclock (and the exact same processor as you have).

3. Go4t

Go4t i

dont start worrying unless it gets above 55

4. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

I know it´s not really "dangerous" temps, but I´ve read around a bit and many of the people using this cpu with the intel heatsink/fan have temps below or slightly over 40 C idle. It would be nice to drop to those degrees, but the AS5 prob will take care of that, otherwise I just found a way to justify a WC-rig for little me :D

Thanks for your thoughts..

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

first, those temps are fine. Second, temps at 40c idle aren't with an overclocked processor.

6. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

Well, I´ve seen at least a couple of OC:ed cpu:s idling under 40C.. not many people having an un-OC:ed cpu nowadays, not on this forum anyway.

But I´ve made some interesting observations..

The cpu running at 2,4ghz and 3,06ghz produces the same temps (+/- 1-2C).
    And I´ve even lowered the voltage on the cpu-fan to 7V without the temp changing noticeably. And since the p4´s have a built in temp-probe these temps should be almost exact. What this tells me (against all logic) is that it´s doesn´t really matter, temp-wise, how the cpu is clocked (at least not in this case, I know that normally a higher clocked cpu produces more heat so no picky answers :eyebrow:).

These observations confuses me even more..