1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick poll...Do you use your PCI slots?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Da Dego, 20 Aug 2004.

?

Do you use your pci slots

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. iceKING

iceKING What's a Dremel?

Nope. :)

Even use the crappy onboard Realtek audio (even though its not that bad IMO) as I'm not lucky enough to have Soundstorm. :D

2. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

I think all of my machines have at least one card. My advice follows the others, review your design and see if you really have a need for them. If you have a board with a kitchen sink built in and you are satisfied with it, you can probably get away with blocking off the pci slots. I myself would keep at least one. I desoldered (sp?) three pci slots off for my last project for space :dremel: . Later on I was glad I kept a couple of them, as I added a wireless nic :thumb: .

3. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

I use one for my M-Audio Audiophile 2496, and I´d have to agree with all the people saying that you should spare at least one.. you never know when you´ll need it!

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Well, it appears that the consensus is to leave one or two, so I have done just that. My new design is 15"x15"x6.75" and allows access to 2 of the slots. And if I change the hard drive rig, I could do more. So, I guess if I ever need to do it, I'll just mold a new drive cage setup.

I think the most convincing reason given was murphy's law... because you just never know.

5. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

good... and now for spam :naughty: lol
    j/k ;)

but ewww... onboard sound... sounds terrible in comparison to the m-audio revo 7.1, or the sound blaster audigy zs 7.1. but then again, I have good speakers :D (z680)

6. counterclockwise

counterclockwise What's a Dremel?

USB 2 card, NIC (but not for long), SB:Live Platinum... so 2 or 3, although at one point i was using 5 (wireless NIC and Firewire card)