1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best heat Dissipating material (real one)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xrain, 23 Feb 2004.

?

Best heat Dissipating material

1. platinum

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. gold

21 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. silver

43 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. copper

21 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. glass

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. other material

47 vote(s)
    33.1%
  7. no idea what so ever

12 vote(s)
    8.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

under other there are 2 that i will list as there are actual blocks made from them but they are both 1 of a kind or nearly so.

diamond ( was made by a person in europe that had a professor friend in the states that sent it to him free but the cost to cut it was actualy more and required another friend in germany to do with special lasers)

carbon nanotube (made by darpa for an increably small microprocessor implant and is built as part of the actual processor so not really a seperate peice so not sure you would be able to classify it as a "block" )

the 2 listed materials are just for info as none of us sane people could get ahold of these materials without being very rich

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

AFAIK the concept behind nanotubes is that they act as microcapillaries to perform hotspot-based watercooling. i.e. instead of slapping a waterblock on top of the die, water molecules are directed directly at the heat sources within the proc which allows for much more effecient cooling.

For all intents and purposes, silver is the best and copper is in a fairly close second.

Although if diamond conducts heat so well, couldn't you try using normal pencil graphite as a thermal interface material as it's simply diamond in a different form? It would make for an interesting experiment and could put arctic silver out of business lol

3. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Did you even read my post?
    I work with diamond. It costs £1 per 5 grams. The brands we use are IGN, GE and E6.

Heres a link to one of e6's pages, about thermal management. 1800 W/mK, sounds good, only 4.5x more than copper..
    http://www.e6.com/e6/page.jsp?pageid=4005030

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah but it's both hard/impossible to make a heatsink out of and heatsinks weigh much more than 5g. Try contacting dangerden about making a diamond TDX... see what they say...

5. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Firstly it is far from hard or impossible to make a heatsink from a diamond/copper/silver mix. Where I work we do things very similar to this all the time, just they are used for cutting granite and not for thermal applications.

5 grams? I never sugessted only to use 5 grams, thats just to give some idea how much it costs.

If I were using diamond like this, I would use a 1:1 ratio of copper/diamond in the effective-base-area - about 25mm*25mm*4mm. diamiond wieghts less than copper, at a guess less than 25g of diamond would do it. (so as not to waste diamond where it wont matter...). I do infact have plenty of "waste" diamond that I could use if I wanted - by that I mean about 1kg, however I dont have access to the tools to do it (although we have the tools at work, they would notice and I would quickly be fired...).

And dangerden are crap. Sorry but they have bought almost no innovation to the watercooling market - the maze designs are just god looking blocks almost eqivelent to a cross drilled block design... (please give examples of any they have...). If I were going to contact a big manufacturer about this then it would not be them.
    Anyway I doubt they could be convinced to use diamond - it is too extreme for there market, and it would not help there profit much atall... and the cost of the machinery to do it (hot presses, and all the crap that you need for them - chillers etc...) woudl probably outweigh any gains they could get. A smaller manufacturer however could do it, charge a bit more for the blocks obviously, but then, performance costs money - its like a silver waterblock over a copper one, will the increase be worth it?

6. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

thought you guys might like to see this. Click
    Its a silver coldplate. So if any one wants to make a waterblock base with it they could. Hmm I wonder how mutch you guys are willing to pay for a silver botomed water block with silver chanels and copper sides? My friends unk is a jewler and he can get silver cheep and he can probly build one.Hmmmmm...Idea?

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

How would one obtain a diamond heatsink? And how much will it cost? :D

8. PankyBoy

PankyBoy What's a Dremel?

9. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

kbn, does the jewlers you work at make custom stuff for customers? if so you could make the block\heatsink :thumb: You just need someone that is willing to do the reserch and front the cash :worried:

Death

10. jaguarking11

I can fabricate the parts of the block and he can weld em together (silver sotter) the he can actualy ploish it to mirror finish and viola. Just add barbs. But it may get very expensive 100bux+ USD thats almost 2x the price for a decent copper block made by a major manufaxturer.

11. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Yea but if it gives the right performance, i'm sure someone wouldnt mind having it :D If its that good it could catch on :eeek:

Death

12. jaguarking11

At the moment I dont have the funds to try it out. BUt I definitly will one day when I am employed again :wallbash:

Till then there is nothing I can do about it.

13. timbudtwo

timbudtwo What's a Dremel?

cesium is probably the worst metal to use with watercooling. Its thermal conductivity is only 35.9w. But it is astounding to watch it with water running through it :)

Speaking of explosive with water. Sodiums' thermal conductivity is only 141w :clap:

Potassium is 102.4

14. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

My gpu waterblock was DIY and I used silver for the base. However imo you'd be better spending time and money researching what makes blocks perform well, instead of wasting loads of money on a slightly better base material.
    Im sure a copper cascade wil beat any blocks you can come up with using silver as the base, for a current cpu.
    However for those not looking for performance, silver does still look fkn good, when pollished. Making the top of a block from silver, would be wastefull and expensive. I suggest using electro-less silver plating (iirc a few grams of silver-chloride, some salt and water is all you need to do several square feet)

</rant> :)

My gpu block, with the silver base, only has a silver base because the silver was effectivly free. However I only has a very small quantity of silver, and I know that if the base was copper, and larger, and designed better, then the block could have performed better made just from copper. Im not saying its a bad block though... 500mhz core from a 9700np at 1.75v is not to bad, imo.

As to the diamond-copper sintered base I suggested above, well Ive started a thread on pro-cooling forums, where it has been suggested before. However Im the first person (that I know of) with access to the machines to make it (possibly) so I might maybe have a go, if I get time (my job is only temporary, and its very busy atm!! :()
    I think this is a major way waterblocks and heatsinks can be improved. If I can just do a small peice of diamond/copper sintered then I can send it to be tested by one of the pro-forums pr0's :) and get a decent measure of how it can compare to copper.
    If its good, I know several comanys with the tools and the knowledge to produce such things, on a small scale, however I have NO idea as to the cost.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2004
  15. adTherm

adTherm What's a Dremel?

Power Density is important [W/kg]

The 'Power Density' [W/kg] of a material is what is important to consider when selecting a suitable heat-transfer material.

The poor motherboard has to bear the mass of a heavy cooler.

In this respect, for a typical extended fin surface, Aluminium far outperforms Copper... so don't be swayed by the pure Thermal Conductivity [W/m.K] figure... :waah:

adTherm
    <www.adtherm.com>

16. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Except..that..it doesn't...

17. adTherm

adTherm What's a Dremel?

Actually, in fact, for extended fin surfaces eg. aluminium vs copper heatsinks... it surely does... in heat dissipated per kg of cooling fin used... try it.

When it comes to water-blocks, the pure Thermal Conductivity [W/m.K] becomes more of a factor, but then, even only very slightly, as the dominant effect there, is the coolant-side heat-transfer coefficient [W/m2.K].

Do the sums from first principles & take a look at my web-site listed below... we have a few interesting papers - specifically applied to radiator-type coolers.

adTherm
    <www.adtherm.com>

18. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

So all the industry leaders just use copper for kicks, and the fact that a copper heatsink outperforms an aluminum heatsink of identicle design is nothing but a fluke...?

19. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Are you suggesting that a block optimised for copper, and another block optimised for alu, that the alu one could win?
    Alu is only better, if you restrict the mass of both to the same amount.
    Copper is more dense, therefore with the same mass, you get less volume/surface area.
    However, is there a reson to care about mass? as long as its within the limits of cost and strain on compents (mobo/cpu), which all blocks that I know of are, by a long way....

Also, thats only with standard "fin" designs. The mass required for a jet-impingement block for example, is dramatically reduced, and yet would perform better still.

20. 1-Man-Army

1-Man-Army What's a Dremel?

lol(in money and the possibility off making) diamond first silver 2nd 3rd copper but any ways.... wasting all that money why dont u just get a phase change set up lol