1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First shots fired in all out Broadband war?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 24 Aug 2004.

1. penski

penski BodMod

...Some places in the ocean?

*n (would be happy with his old 1Mb at the moment)

2. Rooney

Rooney What's a Dremel?

Dangerous nothing, It should be illegal.

3. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

3gb a month? I usually download more than that in a day. Even when i was on dialup i download like 3gb in a a week.

but my dsl is 3000 down 768 up for $32 a month unlimited downloads and unlimited access to newsgroups.

gotta love the US for one thing.... ;)

4. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Its like a supersonic sports car with a 3 gallon tank.

5. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

makes you want to move to france...

A) get filthy rich

B) buy villa in france

C) install highest, cheapest, least capped broadband possible

D) remotely connect to your computer back in france while at work/college and stay their over the weekends/holidays

that'd be great :clap:

6. jelloe

jelloe What's a Dremel?

I get 1.5mb dsl connection for free :D

Its great having a father who owns a small internet business (not so small anymore, runs about 60% of New Hampshire)

Only problem is the phone company messed up the cables on the poles, so its only running at 800kb :wallbash:

Ive been into some of the Centeral Offices, one of wich is the main one for new hampshire, and they have 3-4gb optical connections... Insane, ide like to plug into one of those and do some gaming. :jawdrop:

7. 2Busy

2Busy What's a Dremel?

Thats assuming your capped. I have a cable connection here in the states, up to 4 mbps, no cap, for $40 a month. I am not aware of any cable companies in the US that cap. I have used two different ones over the last 5 years, and neither has said a word. I can get a 5 mbps connection from my current provider for another $10 a month, but how many sites am I connecting to that support that? I can't think of any.

8. Halmod

Halmod What's a Dremel?

Yikes..... I see Big Brother comin up the broadband road........

For mr average PC user 2gb of surfin, free / purchased downloads etc is gonna be just gr8 - I mean 2gb of tunes from virgin / itunes and the like will cost quite a bit of dosh.... :D

I find it hard to believe that a home user who doesn't "bend the rules" will even need as much as this (comments please)

So if this becomes the attitude of those in control........

....... Capping could be taken a step further - ie: the law says that for home use 2gb is ALL you can have (rising like inflation each year as (legal) multimedia gets better and larger), unless you can prove you have a good reason and can pay LOTS of dosh.

In other words yet another form of control ? :wallbash:

9. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Have you actualy read this thread? Its about a 1 Mbit connection that is CAPPED at 2GB per month. This is the UK not the states.

10. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but as for not using 2 gigs leagally... pfft. One of the best things about a good broadband connection is that you can stream media - and that adds up *very* fast. Add some movie trailers, linux isos (but I'm probably a special case having a HD just for screwing around with different OSs) and software updates (steam anyone?) and you're easily past 2 GB. Now maybe download that new game demo that looks awesome, some free mods... 2GB is *nothing* if you actually use your broadband.

11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

12. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

And now Wanadoo have dropped the .5Mb service - they will only provide 1Mbit from now on. From ADSLGuide:

In a move look set to drive up the average ADSL line speed, Wanadoo as part of its price changes earlier in the week has removed the 0.5Mbps from its product portfolio. Now they just sell a 1Mbps service, with three bandwidth allowance options.

Existing 0.5Mbps users need not worry, your service will continue, but new customers will only have a 1Mbps option. If a customers line proves to be outside the new specifications for a 1Mbps line (due to change 6th September), then Wanadoo will provision a 0.5Mbps line. The number failing the new 60dB 1Mbps limit should be less than around 10% of lines.

This move to increase line rates while at the same time reducing prices makes the 0.15Mbps and 0.25Mbps services offered by Tiscali and some other providers look like antiques. There have also been calls from some service providers for BT Wholesale to widen its product portfolio and allow providers access to full-rate ADSL, i.e. up-to 8Mbps downstream and up-to 1Mbps upstream. The 2Mbps limit that has existed since 2000 on BT Wholesale products is starting to look a bit old.

Link

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

All this is a bit unfair.

My parents are with wanadoo and I told them about the upgrade, I phoned Wanadoo to ask when it would happen, the unfair bit, they said that the upgrade will not automatically happen, and all existing users will have to pay an extra #20 on off fee for the upgrade, all new users dont.

Hmph, whatever happened to loyalty rewards? All they want now is moneymoneymoney.

On a postive note, my internet speed should be doubling in the next few days. :D :D :D

And as for the capping, for Wanadoo, that wont take place until the end of the year, after that its a 30GB per month limit, should be enough.

If not... theres the T3 internet at school....

14. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Yeah but these cheap packages are obviously aimed for internet surfing STRICTLY, small amounts of media and just lots of website viewing, not your average pr0n download server with terabytes and terabytes of styuff and mp3s and so on ...

But still 2GB is pretty sad, my 3mbit is around 38US a month with no bandwith cap :D

15. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well I have been geting free 56k since about 1999 and a cuple of years back we went to dsl.Btw when I said free i really meant free with no banners and 100% legal. Love newyork for that. You dont even need a user name or password. Now we are on earthlink dsl and the down rate is 1.5 and up is 384 and there is no limit on how mutch I can download. I usualy wipe out about 1gb a week just surfing the web and I can do as mutch as 5-6gb in donloads. of any kind.
    Cable is going to get upgraded to 5mb for free in the downstream and 384k up stream.

16. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

1. Dont download p0rn - my g/f is good enuf thank u
    2. dont download mp3's - dont listen to music (I'm deaf)
    3. Don't download movies - they dont have subtitles

I may download some programs and games, but 30GB/month is perfectly fine for me, say allocate about 2GB/month for my parents and brother, 28GB for me, and I'm at sixth form all week and some weekends, so thats say 6 days at home a month, so I have about 4.5GB to download a day, more than enough I say, for me speed is more important than limits.

And I must say, I'm soooo looking forwards to T3 internet in my room next week, FREEEEEE from vodafone HQ!

Back to the olden days, does anyone know how to get free dialup in the UK?

17. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Dunno about over there, but over here there are a few providers that will give you free access if you are "referred" by a paying customer. Though they usually have short session limits and crappy speeds, free is as free does.

Tags: Add Tags