1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: HYPERCUBE² 21/03/2005 PICTURES FROM CEBIT

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Joungne, 18 Jul 2004.

1. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

dude, you're so cool

2. JungleGorilla

JungleGorilla What's a Dremel?

Yup, that's stealthing at it's best there... :thumb:

3. Grunt

Grunt What's a Dremel?

It looks nice, but since you used 40 'pins' IDE cable, it's goodbyr ATA-66, ATA-100 or ATA 133.. you'll be stuck at ATA-33..

Awesome case though, even though you cheated by letting others lasercut stuff and investing tons of money :p

Howmuch time did you spend on putting the design in CAD software? I'd never have the patience to do that, respect!

4. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

May I ask why did you use ata hdds? I mean the work done is exelent but you could have use sata converters on the hdd's or bought sata hdd's. Just a thought.

Exelent work tho. Keep it up.

5. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Classy :baby: I really am looking forward to seeing the completed computer. :rock:

6. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

I love that idea with the ide cables. Wasnt to sure when I 1st saw it:/, old grey ide cable... But it does look cool.

Ben

7. preatorian

preatorian What's a Dremel?

if you keep going people won't even know that it's supposed to be computer when they see it ^^

8. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

OK, I didnt know that :duh: Thats really a bummer, I dont think I can make the same cable 80 pins....
    Now you can see that I'm just an architect trying to make a nice computer. Is it really bad that the drives will only run at ATA33? I looked it up on google and it actually seems pretty slow. :sigh:
    So next question. I dont have SATA connections on my mobo, can I connect SATA drives to them with a kind of convertor? And at what speed will they be running then? Otherwise I can buy new drives (SATA ones) and keep this ones for my next project.
    Or maybe even other ideas... All ideas are welcome. I really could use some help right now

Pfff what a way to start the day :wallbash: I feel so stupid not knowing this ATA thing.

edit : after reading a few hours on the net about ATA33, 66,... my eyes really opened. Seems I got more problems then I expected. No cable select for example. And the thing that worries me the most the max. lenght of the cable. Seems that it is 18" , about 45cm. I guess mine is about 80-90cm. So there goes the idea of the stealted cables. Think I'm stuck with the standard rounded cables I've got from coolermaster.

greetz,

Joungne

Last edited: 27 Aug 2004
  9. CT-Petzolinni

CT-Petzolinni What's a Dremel?

wooow fantastique mod.
    one of the best I hqve seen in its kind.

wen its done i want to see in in real time.

great job (fantastique)

10. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

you can get 90cm ata cables, and while their officially not supported they work fine...well they have for me!!

if you get sata drives though you wont have to worry about getting rounded cables, as sata cables are nice n thin anyway...ata 100 to ata 33 is quite a big drop, so if you plan on using this pc seriously, which would be a waste not too, then try to change them...

11. m3t4tr0n

m3t4tr0n What's a Dremel?

Hope to see this one on ebay soon :D

It's damn clean work - it puts yourself in line with Zap, PilouX, eddie the dane, Mashie and G-gnome (sorry if I forgot another modding god :worried:)

12. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Ohh , I feel sorry for you!
    Like someone said before : Get som ata-to sata- adapters or
    buy some new sata hdd´s.
    You can probably use your nice sleeving idea
    on the the thin sata cables to.
    There are Sata PCI-cards you can use and get 2, 4 or 8 sata connectors and get a normal sata speed.
    It was an great idea , being an architect is a great
    skill in modding , that is clearly vissible on your case!

Last edited: 27 Aug 2004
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper What's a Dremel?

Looking awsome dude :rock:

14. P0Z

P0Z What's a Dremel?

Joungne What about pci\agp cards? Is there enough space for it?
    Gratz.

15. Grunt

Grunt What's a Dremel?

and doing a damn good job at it!

The difference between ATA-133 and ATA-33 is not as big as people want you to believe. Though it is there, there aren't many harddrives that can meet the bandwitdth capacity of ATA-133.

What I'd advise you to do is to buy rounded cables in the length you need (length isn't that big an issue), remove the rubber surrounding and the plugs (since you know how to put them on, I assume you know how to get them off as well) and put those in the same way as you did this 40 pins cable.

You could also buy a SATA controller, they're not that expensive, and 2 ATA--> SATA convertors for your current drive (you can attach 'normal' IDE drives to a SATA controller that way). Lastly you could just buy a sata controller and sata drives, depending on your budget.

Cable select is deprecated, you don't need it :)

16. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting red X's on quite a lot of the pics from post #253 and the latest update too. I'd say it looks great but I can't see it!

17. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

I can still see all the pictures... maybe your temp memory is full? :confused:

greetz,

Joungne

18. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Problem solution

Ok, I'v been thinking about my little problem almost all day. And I think I found a solution.

I'm gonna try to find a 90 cm flat cable (UDMA 80 pins) , thats about the lenght I need. And disconnect the connectors, put in the cable in the tubes and try to get the connectors back on. I think this should work.

Only thing is, I cant seem to find a flat 90 cm cable... :sigh:
    If anybody knows where to get it, pls tell me. (It has to be a store that ships to Belgium though, most of the american stores dont send to here...)

greetz,

Joungne

19. coorz

coorz Miffed

Check RS Components and Farnell, the Dutch subs. You might have a hard time attaching the connectors on these 80 way flatcable....
    If you need help ordering at RS or Farnell let me know. I have their printed catalogues at work.
    And your cube is just amazing :thumb:

20. Lourens

Lourens What's a Dremel?

I once simply ordered one from my local computer shop. Try checking if they can order one for you from their suppliers. They do exist, at any rate :).