1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics VFD/EL display help?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Autobot, 27 Aug 2004.

1. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

Hey there folks. Today I took a run over to Wacky Willies electronics surplus and found me a new display. Its a Planar display s/n: 360010925. The back of the display has a sticker that says...
    PART #: 996-4301-00
    EL240 64 KIT
    REV: D

According to the date imprinted on the board it was made back in 1991. ANyone have any info on this type of display? It looks kinda nifty and I wanna include it in my Doom3 case mod. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh...and here are some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

This might help.

It may be possible to use either an SED1330 controller or T6963 controller board. You wont be able to hook it up directly to the computer.

3. coorz

coorz Miffed

Nice find. You're also missing the DC-DC converter, which is near impossible to buy/find separately (perhaps somewhere at Wacky's?), so you'll have to build one.

4. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Im pretty sure this one runs off of 2V and 5V, but I could be wrong. The guide showed nothing about voltages other than that, but it also does not mention this exact model either. It happens to be close.

5. coorz

coorz Miffed

All Planar EL screens need a DC converter, either onboard or daughterboard.
    Looking at the PDF it looks like this one came in various kits, with or without DC board.

6. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

Yes it looks to me that this one would need a DC/DC board. The PDF mentions a kit called "EL240.64 KIT" with description "Includes DC/DC converter with display and cable". Also the pictures in the PDF show separate DC/DC converter board.
    As the display here seems to be the kit version then if lucky the place where the display was bought might also have the DC/DC converter board and the cable to go between the display and the DC/DC board.

The datasheet mentions that the maximum voltage to use is 235VDC.

7. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

Well fiddle sticks! I was hoping that it would be possible to use this with my new case. As far as a DC/DC converter, the document lists out all the pins as far as which need the 12v and 5v to operate. Is there any way to just use the computer's PS voltages to run this? Perhaps this can be ran off the parallel port with an LCD program? I'm just crossin my fingers and hoping still. :worried:

8. coorz

coorz Miffed

I'd return the display and look for some other one. And i doubt it'll look good as i have a similar Planar 640x480 hooked up to the VFC connector, and really you don't want to know how bad that looks :miffed: