1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The Impossible-To-Mod PC Case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by OneSeventeen, 9 Apr 2002.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Yeah, post number three! pretty soon everyone will know me!
    j/k
    I'm using an HP right now, and I'm not sure if you've seen the cases, but they've got all that ugly beveled plastic EVERYWHERE!!!
    I finally got fed up and took it off, but was wondering what the easist material would be to make my own flat, smooth surface for the case. I'm going for either a shiny black or unpainted metallic look. Future plans are to add front LEDs for NIC indicator lights, and replace the power button with a key switch, and fans mounted between the new top and front case shells (it is freaking hot in there!! boo poorly cooled mini towers:grr:).

Any Ideas?

2. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards.

My condolences. We buy those at work.

I'd recommend acrylic. (Plexiglas is one brand name.) You should be able to get it at a hardware store or Home Depot type place. It cuts pretty easily, as long as you don't get excessively think stuff you can score-and-snap it. And you can paint the back face for a supa glossy custom bezel. If you feel bold you can try bending it with a heat gun.

3. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I am not bold at all when it comes to acrylic...
    I just finished using some far too thick material to make a window on my Hard Drive, and I ended up having to paint the edges to cover the cracks...
    (I used a dremel tool because it was too thick to score & snap)

For the record, the Hard drive still works, and has the indicator LED inside the drive visible through the acrylic!

Thanks for the idea of bending though.. I may try it after all...
    what should I use to heat it?
    (In my dorm we have a standard 2 tank torch, small pencil torch, and a couple of lighters... any of these work?)

4. riyaz3000

riyaz3000 What's a Dremel?

in your dorm?
    most schools or uni or colleges have some craft or art teacher or class... ask what u can use or borrow..

5. ejmac

ejmac What's a Dremel?

Hate to sound like I have no sense for adventure but a new case would be real cheap and easier to mod.....or do you want to mod the existing one to show off your modding poweress?

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Thanks for the imput

I'll be trying to work on it starting 2 weeks from today (because of a dumb Calc II test that's going to kill me)
    I've found a way to add a top blowhole, and possibly rearrange the usb/serial front jacks to have a front intake fan as well..

And of course the standard stealth modding, and possibly a custom rheo bus. :D

I'll take votes on colors, and whatever color gets the most votes, I'll paint it. (be serious... I want it tasteful.. and keep in mind I am a guy)

I won't vote on a color just to keep it interesting...
    come up with ideas, and sometime tomorrow I'll set up a web page with a polling system (you won't be able to see the results, and it will be on the honor system that you won't vote twice)

- OneSeveteen

Go Ahead

7. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

yeah... but I want to try something nobody's ever done before...
    I've still got a great idea for a full tower in my living room that requires waterproofing, but has nothing to do with fish or watercooling...
    I won't release the details yet, mainly because I'll never do it and just look dumb...
    but yeah, a little of the modding poweress... even though all I've ever modded was a CD rom window, a HDD window, the case to display the HDD window, and painting a case/drive faceplates...
    (and the case painting was a crap job too...)

8. riyaz3000

riyaz3000 What's a Dremel?

dont be hard on your self... my first PC i modded was about 3 years ago... a Pentium2... i look back now and laff... i still yet to do a HD window... to scared...( of losing my data)

9. bLiNdPyRo

bLiNdPyRo What's a Dremel?

Ew. HP cases. :p I disassembled my HP (It was my Internet gateway now because I have a network and a USB modem. :grr:) and put it into an Antec 1000B case because I had my new Lian-Li PC-62. :D The HP case went into the trash. :)

10. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I've taken off all the beveling, and it looks like I should be able to make a semi-decent case out of it yet.
    I'm going to add three new fans, two front intake, and one top blowhole.
    I'll post picks of what it looks like now before modding...
    I'm going to have to move around the front USB ports & mod the disk drive.
    Plus I'm going to change it to where the power LED changes colors with HDD activity.
    This will all be done over the summer probably though, due to Finals & all.

PS, if anyone can explain Taylor Series easily, feel free to post!!!

-OneSeventeen

GoAhead

11. linear

linear Minimodder

Let's see what I can remember....

A Taylor series is a MacLaurin series centerd on zero if I recall correctly.

I think the canonical example function is sin(t). If you look at the graph of y=sin(t) ritght at the origin, it looks a hell of a lot like y=t. So there you have an approximation that's reasonable over a small interval. That's kinda useful, but it can be better. As you add terms to the series, the interval over which the approximation is "good" gets wider.

There's a bunch of derivation junk to get the formula, but the formula is generalizable to any function f(t). The nth term of the series looks like the nth derivative of f(t) evaluated at zero times t to the nth power divided by n factorial. So as long as you can take derivatives, you can evaluate a polynomial that may be easier to deal with than the function you're working with. More terms, wider interval over which the approximation is good.

A real Taylor series though has an infinite number of terms (n = 0 through infinity), and is exactly equivalent (proof omitted :p) to the function. Intriguing but useless.

12. linear

linear Minimodder

ok, I looked it up, and I had it reversed--a MacLaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series. So where I have written "nth derivative of f(t) evaluated at zero times t to the nth power divided by n factorial" it should be "nth derivative of f(t) evaluated at t0 times (t - t0) to the nth power divided by n factorial." Its just taking the above and translating it along the abscissa.

13. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I'm scared....

Now I'm a little scared, most of that sounded familiar, and some of it made sense..... Nooooo!
    j/k I actually do want to understand this stuff.

Linear, I've read a few of your posts, and was just wondering, what do you not know? hehe
    (I think I've seen you give good advice on Calc II, Chemistry, and Physics so far, and I haven't been reading too much)