1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Who makes Radiator-type coolers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adTherm, 24 Aug 2004.

1. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

As far as I know, most of it is from just the airflow. Some chaps removed fins from a fan and suddenly it got a whole lot quieter. Vibration is some of it, which is easily fixed with rubber grommets. Silicone grommets work the best.

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

As Emon has pointed out most of the noise is from the airflow through the rad. I would think that if your designing your rad to have as little air resistance as possible then quiter fan operation would naturally follow. :)

3. adTherm

adTherm What's a Dremel?

The number of fan blades passing a point per second, is known as the ... wait for it... 'blade passing frequency'... The higher this is, the more noise that is generated. If it gets too close to a case/component resonant frequency, then excessive vibration can also be induced... hence the need for 'grommet' isolation.

Hence, when your friends removed some blades, they were able to lower this 'passing frequency' & quiten things down a little.

I will be designing to maximise heat-transfer performance, at minimum fan flow -> low noise etc. The pdf info from the one link is perfect for my needs... it shows the Plant Curve range information I need... wonderful...

adTherm... :dremel:

4. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

I would have to agree with adTherm here - there is a obvious gap in the market as water cooling becomes more and more accessible and popular.

Maybe designing specific rads for very common cases?

(i know its a silly comment but i wanted to subscribe to this thread ) :D

5. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Not my friends, some guys in an article I read. My point was just that it was the airflow, not the DC motor.

6. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

If you could make a 2x80mm core for the two exhaust fans on a dragon series frame (no mods) you could make some dough off that. Look at the competiton... 1/4" tubing by thermaltake, externally?

If you had a PC-specific 2x80mm core, that had a gain over a single plain 120 core, you'd be in buisness. Because I know I'd buy one. I miss having my HDD cages.

7. adTherm

adTherm What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Emon... Point taken... very valid... so the airflow noise dominates the DC motor noise.

adTherm...

8. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

You may look into the SilenX fans (Google it), supposedly they are incredibly quiet, but they seem to offer impossible airflow:noise ratios. Their fin design is different however, and I could see them being more efficient, though I'm not sure if it's as good as they claim.

9. Heavytank2

Not only that, offer piss for airflow.. I am sorry, but 10-15 CFM does not cut it for me. I wouldn't feel safe.... thats like going "ha ha ha" to steam up some glass with your breath. (If I am thinking of the same company)

If I am not, it was some foreign company that offered really quiet fans with REALL LOW CFM. And wanted $15-20 a piece. I was sitting there in amazement like WTF! I could get 5 antec 80mm, and a fan controller for less and achieve the same effect.

10. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

...what? They have 14 dBA 120mm fans that do 58 CFM, supposedly. Did you mean the listed airflow or the actual measured airflow? Because they clearly have products marked with very good flow rates.

11. Heavytank2

One company put out 80mm fans with about 15CFM. This is what they claimed anyhow.

12. Risky

Risky Modder

At the lower nose end of this business the Papst 4412GFL is common
    (55.3 cfm 26dB 119x119x25mm - commonly sold in the "4412 F/2GL" varient with rpm monitoring)
    Another usefull link for specs is http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/appliance/appliance_fans_home.htm

allong with www.papst.de as mentioned before.

Now there are some also fans marketed directly to the PC sector

http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/mainindex.asp
    http://www.noiseblocker.de/shop/en_EN/Index

hopefully this gives you a range of specs to work with, though generally at the high-end of the market.

13. adTherm

adTherm What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone... this is excellent information...

I will keep everyone updated on the progress of these designs. I made one major step closer to the manufacturer today, by signing him up for a long-term Technology support contract... I plan to settle the preliminary design information within the next month, or so, & then see if anything fits from his existing product range. If not, then I will 'tweek' his products to get to the design point.

I plan to send out a few 'test units' to interested users - free of charge - in return for their frank comments. If anyone is interested in testing a unit, please let me know.

adTherm... :dremel:

14. Marvin

Marvin What's a Dremel?

No You would not get the same effect. Without testing the fans that you have mentioned, I would say that even when putting fans to 5V, You will not get the same effect because of the motorclicking from the fans. If You want good and silent, then You have to choose the fans accordingly. I admit that then they push very small amount of air but that can still be enough, if everything else is done right. extensive discussions about fans and silent computers in general can be found at Silentpcreview.

My own setup has three fans, all of them is running really low speed. 8cm Papst 8412NGL@~7v for CPU, 12cm panaflo FBK-12G12LH @5V for case intake and Papst 3412NGL@5V for PSU. I would be otherwise happy but that panaflo is making clicking noise which I can't stand. It stops at around 8V, but then the airmovement is making too much noise.

So back to the topic, from my point of view, I would prefer a rad that would allow me to run a 8cm fan at less than 7V. This figure because I have tried the Papst at that voltage and to me it is acceptable noiselevel, beyond that some damping would have to occur.

As You might figure out, I'm here to silence things down. Ideal system for me would be where I would have just one fan, preferably none, and still be able to get decently powerful system. But I think that these sort of systems would be quite hard to build, without going to truly extremes. Then again, I'm thinking W/C:ing everything, PCU, GPU, HDD, PSU&NB.

So maybe I will research the Reserator a bit more, that has some good qualities, but also some bad ones?

15. Heavytank2

Well, my demands are MUCH LESS.

A) My 6800NU auto-adjusts fan speed based on wether or not its 2D/3D mode. (60/100% respectively)
    B) I am only cooling CPU.
    C) What is this clicking you speak of? That only occurs on PWM based controllers (the stuttering/rumbling/vibration). All my controller's are rheo/switched voltage.
    D) With cooling EVERY single part in your computer like you are pondering on... you'll likely need 2-3 Reserators to keep it in a decent window of temps.

16. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

adtherm - u still there? Check your PM

17. Marvin

Marvin What's a Dremel?

First of all, sorry for the original author of this thread, for hijacking the thread to something competely different.
    [HIJACK]
    Here is some info. Every(?) DC fan runs with PWM, thats the way to make it rotate. Its just that the PWM-circuitry is on the fan itself.

Heres a little info taken from spcr.
    Also some noise comes from the bearings, depending from the type, quality etc.
    Yes I admit that it can be tricky, and most propably the PSU will just be modded one with slow fan. But at least CPU, GPU and HDD will be W/C'd, once i get there. I'm not planning to o/c, just to get it silent. This has been done by few people, at least the CPU/GPU part. Those are the bits that produce the most heat anyway, so it can be done, HDD&NB are just drops in the sea compared to those.

This it tricky subject and needs really thorough knowledge to do it well. Some have undoubtedly succeeded in this, I just need to pick their brains to avoid mistakes already made in the past.
    [/HIJACK]

Tags: