1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everybody's Free (to play Doom)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by :: kna ::, 31 Aug 2004.

1. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

2. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Stoped playing it, the phrase Boredoom comes to mind :yawn:
    Still nice graphics and all, but repetive, cant wait for hl2, I completed stage1 of the preload, on ISDN!

\\Balder

Last edited: 31 Aug 2004
  3. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

All depends on your level of imagination. If you get lost while playing a game, doom 3 is downright spooky. You will be spooked at times when you're thinking of how to get something done and theres trouble behind a door you just opened.

Doom 3 is well worth buying new hardware just to play it as it was meant to be played.

4. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

I have to say this sums up my doom3 experience to the letter. I get totally imersed in games when i play and yes doom3 did scare the crap out of me to start with but It never moved on from the basic "hes behind you" pantomime routine. I was hopeing for some clever scares and it never delivered.

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

:thumb: :thumb:

6. Bendill

Bendill What's a Dremel?

Although I thought Doom 3 was downright scary, I do agree on your comment of old concepts not working in todays graphics hungry genre. I mean, I don't know a single person who played the "Serious Sam" series for the gameplay. I read alot of reviews of games, not just PC games, but games for most platforms. What I see in the reviews that so much concern for graphics in PC games is often shadowing gameplay. This is not as much apparent in console games and you are more likely to find more "polished" gameplay on the console. :sigh:
    To sum it all up.... I wouldn't give a flying fart about the graphics so long as the gameplay is up to par (I played Daggerfall to death but despised Morrowind). :D

7. crichards

crichards What's a Dremel?

Well, I liked it, It's Doom, ie playing a horror movie and being scared. On that level, it worked for me, very well. I played in a dark room with surround speakers and, well, I was scared for most of the time - thank god I wasn't in the house alone though otherwise it would have been one of those 'don't want to get up in the middle of the night to go to the loo' times.

However, the sound was a bit of a let down - I've got 7.1 speakers but the Carmacks decided to concentrate, too much, on the graphics. As a result, 7.1 isn't even supported, only 5.1.

I suppose, just like a film, if you go in with too high expectations or a cynical attitude, you'll be disappointed. If you want strategy, play C&C/Civ, if you want to use your brain, play an old adventure game, if you just want to be scared and blow away the hordes of hell with various amusing weapons, there's nothing better than Doom.

8. :: kna ::

The point for me however was that it also stopped being scary because I knew what was coming. After the n-th darkened room with armour in a hidden darkened corner, you just readied yourself for what you knew was about to happen.

In much the same way as you watch an over the top cliched horror film, you just *know* what's coming and as such, it stops being scary.

9. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

II agree with the repetativeness. I only continue playing to satisfy my urge to blow stuff away with my shotgun. It's fun to shoot stuff point-blank with a shotgun. Saying that, I don't play it very often anymore.

10. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

You pretty much read my mind. Doom 3 just stopped being scary after 30 mins because you knew they where trying to scare you.

I have only truly been scared whitless by one game and that was Theif 3. In one level they build up the suspence to increadibly high levels and you end up scaring your self with your own shadows. This is without any not 1 enemy in the entire level. It was a perfect blend of sound, lighitng and architecture.

Doom 3 just went for shock tactics and once you realise that it doesnt work any more.

11. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Seems alot of people find this with the game. I now tend to play 20mins or so every 3-4 days and that kinda keeps it good for me although u do need to keep track of what your doing (even if it is a bit liniar... )

12. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Graphics cards! That's all you ever talk about k-nuh!

13. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Games are make believe. Soon as you stand up and say "We've all seen this before, try something new".. you've killed it. Yes its the same stuff over and over, but the way they give you the story. How you use your PDA and get background information on Delta Labs. OooOoooo Scary Delta, always causing people to flip out. Now you are **in** Delta and hearing all kinds of hellish noises. Hell yes I was scared, simply because I let myself go into the game.

So tell me, can you walk into a hunted house and yawn the whole way though?

Doom 3 is a milestone. Four years in the making and you at least owe ID a start to finish attempt.

-Just my opinion

14. Monkey2

Monkey2 What's a Dremel?

Just cause it took a long time to make doesn't mean its good

And it is a good game, Its just not a GREAT game and is just not worth the price of a new video card.

15. Kingston

Kingston What's a Dremel?

I wonder when it happened. When did we all decide games had to be something more then fun. I mean you all wait for half-life2 and yet I can already hear everyone saying it wasnt that great after a few weaks.

Maybe we are all to used to online gaming where everything is different everytime you play.

I think doom 3 did a very good job of keeping the mood up it wasnt just a guy behind you it was the noise you heard the shadow on the wall the whispers. So what you knew something was coming behind you if you back tracked after every 5 steps. I feel you played the game very causiously and stopped all the fun from happening. Its frantic you want to get out. But after every enemy you killed you walked back 5 steps.

I agree it wasnt much new for gaming but hey did it ever say it was? You knew it was just a rehash of the old doom games and then when they gave you that you bitched how it was just a rehash of the old doom games.

I for one loved doom 3 sure i played threw it once and have played it very little sense then. But thats like every other single player game out there. I will return to it someday.

Maybe Im just sick of everyone saying how crappy doom3 is. I think people just built it up in there own mind to be something that was supposed to actually knock us off our chair.

16. :: kna ::

Not especially; if I pay £3 for a burger touted as the best burger I'll ever eat and it isn't, I won't finish the rest of it.

No, all this time in the making did that. I'm not going to set off the HL2/Doom argument here but given what I'm expecting in HL2, I expect it to be scary and a fantastically playable game. Just because Doom3 is a remake doesn't mean the playability has to be, nor should I be satisfied that it is.

For the hype, all we've been sold is a wonderful graphics engine on top of a boring and predictable game. I see no reason in this day and age not to be sold a wonderful graphics engine on top of a exciting and immersive game.

Like I've stated in the article, I don't expect people to agree with me on this, but a point I'm making is that if you go out and spend money on a new graphics card for it, the majority of people will be sorely disappointed.

17. Infernal

Infernal What's a Dremel?

wayyy too repetitave for me! waiting on HL2, san andreas and full spectrum warrior for PC

18. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I actualy havent played it yet. Because I have not put together my gaming rig yet as I am still modding it. But I can say this about the game withought playing it. The engine of the game regardless of how it plays is the true tresure of it. They will make other games on that engine and hopefully we will get games that are both fun to play and nice to look at.

Just my sentiments.
    Btw top notch pice you wrote there.

19. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

one thing wrong with the engine, is some of pyhcics, i'll be playing kill a demon then sunddenly his body will start bounceing off the walls like a pinball, other than that i was quite impressed with Doom 3's engine

Last edited: 1 Sep 2004
  20. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Yup The average player will spend atleast 3 weeks on Doom3 before chucking it back in the closet or maybe even days :hehe:

Tags: Add Tags