1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo DS to Have Wi-Fi Voice Over IP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 1 Sep 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

From Gamespot via Gizmodo:

Information has come out about Nintendo's upcoming DS handheld's ability to serve as a voice-over-IP handset, allowing DS gamers to make phone calls when connected to a Wi-Fi access point. There's no word if the service will allow DS users to call other, regular phones or not. Knowing Nintendo, it's probably more likely that DS users will be able to chat to other DS users, and not serve as an actual phone.

Gizmodo link here

But what's the point? Are users of the DS really going to talk to one another with their mobile console? And if Nintendo want to give the DS a comms capability, why haven't they built in GSM, for those times when there isn't an access point available? Smacks of 'gimick' to me.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

My sentiments exactly - how USELESS can it be?

3. BoomAM

BoomAM What's a Dremel?

I take it you two are sony/MS bias then?
    I think its a great feature. Remember that the DS can MP via a access point as well. So using that feature you could talk to your oponent. Which`d be great for some types of games.

4. crichards

crichards What's a Dremel?

Well the thing is (AIUI) in Japan, wireless is far more popular than cellular networks. So you get a lot of VoIP useage over there - after all, it's free!

Of course, over here we have a few companies who have put a fair few billion smackaroons into GPRS and no-one else providing enough access points to compete.

Maybe this little 'toy' will prove to be part of the impetus needed to expand VoIP to compete with cellular.

5. GreatOldOne

No, not really. I won't be buying a DS or PSP, as I have no use for them tbh. and MS? :eyebrow: My main machine is a powerbook.... :D

6. BoomAM

BoomAM What's a Dremel?

Toy?
    Have you seen the new DS? It looks more stylish than many a PDA or phone.

7. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Meant to ask you - How's that going? about a year ago, I got a FREE blue and white g3 (300mhz or so....) with OS 10.2 and it's cool but I don't do much with it. I've been thinking about buying an iBook. I've played with macs for years, but never had one as my primary.

When does the next installment of Switch Side Story come out?
    Thanks Mr Goo
    - Dream​

8. BoomAM

BoomAM What's a Dremel?

I have a 12" 800Mhz G4 iBook as a backup system/"portable entertainment center". Its pretty good. As a primary system, you might want to invest in a seperate keyboard & mouse for it. Easyier to type then, and despite the single click nature of the OS, the right click can come in handy.

9. GreatOldOne

It's going very well. I don't think I could contemplate going back now. As for SSS, the third and final installment will be out 'when it's done'*... ;)

*Not to long, I hope.

10. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Mac will never use doubble click now that MS owns it :hehe:

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh come on, noone will ever use it. 99% of people will be in the same room if they MP, and as for doing it through an access point - im sure the Japanese will use it.

12. BoomAM

BoomAM What's a Dremel?

So you`re speaking for the entire planet there?
    I`d use it. And i know that several of my friends would as well.

13. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Who says they need an access point? Remember, WiFi supports "Peer-To-Peer" networks between machines, as well as "Architecture" (w/Access Point) setups.

So, get within 100m of another DS owner and start a game with them, with voice-communication. wander past a Starbucks, or into a McDonalds, or into a railway station, and play a game, or make a phone call out on the 'net.

And who's to say for the Euro markets it's not going to get a GSM/GPRS/HSCSD/3G connection as well?

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Bet you wouldnt, you're just saying that. Youd be in the same room 99% of the time so wouldnt need to and youd need to tell them to turn on their GB anyway. Also, most wifi distance is within shoutable distance and doesnt go through (many) walls. :p

Not only will it remain unsupported or locked out if the access point uses encryption, but 100m is rediculous, youd get 25 in a clear room at best from a handheld, battery operated devise. You wait; my synicism will pay off.

15. BoomAM

BoomAM What's a Dremel?

Im not just saying that. Both me and a few of my mates have wireless networking gear and broadband connections. So a feature like that would be good.
    One persons "gimmick" is anothers feature.

Tags: Add Tags