1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. stevensully

stevensully What's a Dremel?

I've fried

Soyo SiS645DX Dragon Ultra Motherboard
    Geforce 4 TI 4400
    430 Watt Antec True Power
    Antec 1080B Case (Front panel wiring fried)
    256MB Mushkin DDR266 Ram

and this all happened when my power supply emitted a bad voltage that fried everything. Life is cruel....

2. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

i fried an XP1700 from OCing on my first atempt... i certainly do NOT have an Ocers board :D

3. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I reversed some wires on my psu when sleeving and fried my hdd, cd rw and dvd drives all at once. First I only did one strand of molexes and was testing it. That strand was plugged into my hdd, so when my comp failed to boot, I figured it was something with the hdd. So I pulled my parents hdd out and plugged it in. Fried it too. Then I switched the molex strands to see if that helped. So the bad strand is now in my cd and dvd drives. Pressed power and after about 2 seconds, smoke starts coming out of my dvd drive.

My old aluminum chieftec was painted black, and I decided to switch it to white for a new mod. So I took it next door to my neighbor's sandblasting booth. All they had was glass bead, so I figured what the heck. Tried it, got all the paint off, but when I went to put it back together, the whole thing was so warped it wouldn't fit back together. One corner would stick up, then I'd push it down, then another one would fly out of place.

All of these happened this summer.

4. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

More to add to list:

ASUS GF3 Infinity
    SB Live! 5.1

:grr:

Cheers,
    Mike :grr:

5. phi0x

phi0x What's a Dremel?

where to begin?:p

lets see where should I begin? :p
    laptop 133 mhz, 32mb ram, 800mb hd, 10.4 inch lcd screen, etc...
    tried replacing the hd, but I accidently put the pins on wrong or either it didn't like the hd... im pretty sure it was me putting the pins on wrong, here's the funny story to that one, late at night... was working on laptop and had the drive bay open(the hd was in a little box that goes in a drive bay and plugs into the laptop) so I then took out the old 800mb hd and tried puting my bro's old 4gb laptop hd in it and power went out right as I was putting the hd on the ide cable pins:|
    i then thought I got it on right, but I didn't, (should have taken closer looksy!)
    I booted the mother up and wam! fried the chipset, now can't even read the floppy drive:p

what else...

oh I took a screw driver and was working on my old AT mobo and since the keyboard didn't work on it (i tried 3 of em and they wouldnt work) so I finaly just thought ok ill take a screw driver to it and try to fix it or something, I then dented some lil wire things that were connected to a chip on the mobo, and I put er back together to find out that the keyboard did work but it was because the AT mobo before (when the keyboard didn't work) it only didn't work because the mobo was slightly to high from the open whole in the case for the AT style keyboard connector..so when I put the keyboard on it would go in roughly, hence the not working part. If I only moved the mobo slightly it would have worked!:( So then after I did the damage to the mobo and put it back together, the keyboard was working because mobo was aligned with case properly, and everything worked but something, I don't quite remember what didn't work but I remember throughing the damn thing out after:p
    I kept the CPU etc.. of course:p

another funny thing...

I had a server from a neighbour and it was a 200mhz box but I had my 233 from the old box that broke. I took out the 200mhz box and put my 233 in it, I then had the server up and running for 2-3 months on slackware 8.1, everything was going great etc....
    then one day somethin fugded up:( I then thought to install debian, now ive never had to much luck with debian but I thought id give it a go:p
    I then was starting to install it and I was sitting on the carpet with the keyboard on my lap( the server was on the floor in a corner with a monitor on the case and keyboard, hence the sitting on floor)
    So I decided to watch TV, on my old like 20 year old 36 inch TV, I then turned it on and was sitting right beside it and watching TV and looking at the monitor infront of me:)
    next thing i know my dog comes in and his tail hits me in the face and my hand touches the TV screen(old TV's staticy) and wamo.... current from TV screen went through my hand out my knee cap, shocked me a bit and went into the keyboard on my lap through the keyboard and into my server....:s
    Then there goes my server, the keyboard flashed up like fricken 4th of july!
    lights blinking everywhere on it, server BEEPING like this BEEP BEEEP BEEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.....
    and it was dead
    screen blank, nothing working cept the PSU fan when turning it on and off, oh and the other fans of course:p

This is over a 2-3 year period:p

Now these mistakes or stupid things that happened are just things that happen im sure to lots of people!

or maybe its just me?:eek:
    who knows!

But I do know that the CPU I put it in another server AT style mobo:)
    and it worked! after being in a fried box! : :rock: :clap:
    now thats amazing! and my server now is running for 4 months! only 1 reboot inbetween 60 days! :jawdrop:

Hope you had fun reading my wacky adventures:p

6. TMM

TMM Modder

lol, your cursed :hehe:

7. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Add to the list a Gandward 4200 :duh:

8. LabRat1

LabRat1 What's a Dremel?

Let me add an athlon 2500+ to my list

[​IMG]

:waah: this one ranks up there with cracking an lcd

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

OUCH! :eeek: How did you do that!? :eeek:

10. Dean_j2001

Dean_j2001 What's a Dremel?

lmao where do i begin ive had about 150pcs over my yrs
    ive had this brake on me:

2 x amd k6 500mhz
    Isa graphics cards
    pci graphics cards
    dimm ram
    ive broken athlon xp1800 athlon xp2800 athlon 800 duron 1.3 duron 1ghz p3 1ghz p2-266 about 10 power supplys about 15network cards umpteen sound cards about 12 hard drives (maxtor are so **** i had 8 refurbished drives from them which all failed after a week) same with Ibm, ive had ram break on me fans, cases, about 20motherboards

this may sound like im a total jinx or something but.. considering i have lying in my closet about 9 athlons 5 pentiums a few cyrix pieces of crap 486's 386's p4's about 40pcs in total + 1000's of other misc crap its not bad going considering how many pcs ive had since i got my first one

11. y_N_e_M_a

y_N_e_M_a What's a Dremel?

i have killed the following

amd duron 1300
    amd athlon 1100
    amd athlon xp 2100+
    amd athlon xp 2500+
    amd athlon xp 2700+
    300w PSU

the duron, 1100, 2100+, and 2500+ were all do to a certain heatsink breaking them(all installed correctly, heatsink just was gay :sigh: ). 2700+ was from overclocking

me and cpus arent the best off buddy's:p

12. preatorian

preatorian What's a Dremel?

uhm, a GeForce FX 5800 and a Abit IC-7 in one blow while using those shower-hoses to mesh my cables, after wich they hung onto my videocard and shortcircuited it :wallbash:
    And while trying to put in a temporary GeForce 3 Ti200 I shortcircuited that one aswell :duh:

how about changing to intel ;)

13. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

^^^^^^

he wants somethin that will b cheaper when he breaks em

14. y_N_e_M_a

hehe yeah. not a fan of intel

i had a thermalright slk800 and the base didnt touch the pads either side of the core so it cracked them.

i got rid of it and got a sp-97 and that has worked fine for a year on my 2600

15. dead_man

no not really, 2 expensive and they change there socket 2 often. 2 different sockets for the pII, PIII and the PIV is kinda alot, amd have only ever changed there socket for 64bit twice

16. y_N_e_M_a

uhhhh, sorry. not understanding what you mean by "no not really"

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Incorrect. The Penium II never changed sockets. then the pentium 3 went from slot 1 to socket 370. The p4 started as 423, then to 478, then (iffy) to 775. As to 64 bit changing it only twice... maybe you want ot rethink that. It started with 940 and 754. Consumers were miffed at 940s taking one processor or opertons and needing registered ram, and 754 not having dual channel memory. The solution? Drop both and shift to 939. Which means if you have a 940 OR 754 chip, you're boned now.

18. dead_man

i stand corrected :thumb:

19. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

i just burnt out a 64mb stick of sd ram and soyo motherboard it was in
    (via c3 650mhz processor was ok ) :D

20. Hiperoxid

Hiperoxid What's a Dremel?

hmmm the overheated Athlon XP is nice....My Aerogate 2 panel up in smoke.
    One of the Stab. IC catch fire and made a very nice surprise for my NF7 board. My main board didn't survive this action. The NF7 board has been exchanged but the AG2 hasn't :grr:.
    I have a star photo:
    [​IMG]