1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bloody end to Russia school siege

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by RTT, 3 Sep 2004.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

From the BBC: "Russian troops have stormed the school in North Ossetia, where hundreds of children and adults have been held hostage since Wednesday.

A Russian commander says Russian troops are nearly in full control, says the BBC's Steve Rosenberg.

But sporadic gunfire can still be heard and the fate of many of the children held by the gunmen is unclear.

Reuters reports that several of the hostage takers were shot dead by troops as they tried to escape.

A large number of people have been seen fleeing the premises, many of them covered in blood.
    "

Continually updated Coverage at the BBC, more at CNN, Reuters and FOXNews

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm watching on SKY news at the moment, so far it still apears far from being over.
    There are still a number of terrorists holding ground.

3. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

But Its still good news that a lot of the childern have been released

4. Chobbler

Chobbler Running with a Spoon

apprently 100 are dead. this is sad.

5. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

extreme cock-up by the russian military.where was the perimiter around the school?why were the parents allowed to rush in?why do they not how how many people were inside the building?its a bit like the moscow theatre all over again.

6. dom_

dom_ --->

seeing as most of the russian army are taxi drivers most of the time to make money. it doesnt surprise me. they arnt trained properly, and arnt motivated. they dont want to fight for russia.

as for the special forces, the spetsnaz... they are just an unhinged version of the sas, with a bit of axe murderer put in.

7. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Exactly what I was thinking. Sad..

8. according to some russian official at the scene when questioned by sky news reporter , "what units are these ? are they what you call "alpha" special forces" he answered , "no they have not arrived yet". how disorganised could it be. those poor kids.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's a cr@p, no-win situation, and in hindsight everyone can be a critic.

Sometimes, people do evil, misguided things. It's as simple as that, and as complicated as that. Life's kind of sad that way.

10. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

You take a bunch of unhinged gun wielding nutters that with happaly shoot at children and you have a no win situation what ever you do

"in hindsight everyone can be a critic." - too true

"why were the parents allowed to rush in?" - how would you stop them if you was one of the Russian soldiers ? tell them nicely that its not a good idea ? what if they wont listen ? shoot them ? not a lot that can be done in my book.

11. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

It seems apparent that the Russian soldiers decision to storm the building was almost forced upon them by the terrorists actions (detonating their bombs) when some children tried to escape :(. When the bombs started going off inside, the soldiers probably felt it was best to attack as quickly as possible, for all they knew the terrorists could have begun a wholesale massacre of the hostages.

I believe its common practise amongst anti-terrorist squads to plan for such an eventuality, they formulate an ongoing plan of an attack they can conduct at short notice, should the situation demand it (which it would if the terrorists began killing large numbers of hostages), so it may have been that this was what they had to put into practice, or it maybe that the actions of the terrorists forced their hand in a way that meant any plan they had formulated was rendered useless.

The Russians did seem somewhat disorganised, but if its true that sufficient numbers of their spetsnaz/alpha special forces troops were not yet in the area, then it is to be almost expected :( - the average Russian soldier is most likely a conscript, certainly not trained to a high level for close quarter battle such as that involved in taking a building from terrorists, and they wouldn't be trained for negotiations either (not that this bunch of scum ever acted as though they'd negotiate anyway).

Anyway, I find this whole episode to be absolutely appalling. I have never felt that targetting civilians has been justifiable in any conflict, regardless of the oppression or crimes commited against the people the terrorists claim to represent, be they Palestinians, Chechens, or whoever, but taking young children hostage at their schools marks a new low for me :(. Political aims can never (to my mind) justify the deliberate targetting of civilians.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

Pretty much. :(

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Just got an email from CNN with "breaking news" about this:

More than 200 dead in Russia school standoff, Interfax news agency says quoting regional health officials. Details soon.

:miffed: :grr:

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Its sad and frustratingly sick that the terrorists supposibly shot at the kids running away. Bring back stoning - let the familys of the victims have their way. Sick ****ers. :grr:

15. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Here, here.

16. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

It's a very sad day. I agree with Will on most of what he said. It seems like the Russian army isn't very well orgainesd and I expect most of the "elite" forces are in Cheyneya (sp!) fighting the local rebals there. Shame so many young lives taken for no real reason. :waah:

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It was horrifying to watch this today.

Its true that the forces had no alternative but to act upon the situation, but what I found staggering was all the civilians allowed so close, how on earth is the army supposed to control a situation with so many people in the line of fire.

Yet another sad sad day.

18. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

One word is all.

*******s.

19. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Okay, I have to ask this... In *ALL* the pictures I see of this where kids are rescued or being rescued, they are ALL in their underpants. Why?

20. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

The terrorists forced the kids into the gymnasium and formed a ring of bombs around them (this is why so many were killed when the roof caved in). Apparently it got extremely hot in there with all the body heat etc. Also the terrorists didn't even allow the kids to use the toilet so you can imagine the situation. And from what I heard on the news, some children got so dehydrated that they were forced to drink their own urine.

A sad day. It sickens me to think their are people in the world capable of this.

Tags: Add Tags