1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Plexibox building

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiggyman, 2 Sep 2004.

1. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

Im hoping to build a SFF PC as part of my GCSE D.T project. Im aiming to spend not a lot more than about £600

It doesnt have to be very small, not Via-Epia, shuttle size will do.

Im planning to make it into a kind of HTPC, but i must custom build the case myself, the problem is i only have ABOUT 14 hours of solid working time to do it in, not counting planning, the ordering the parts and soforth i mean the actual building of the case. Im building a totally custom shuttle case. Is i possible?

If so any links possible to post, good materials, resources. I saw thought of building a custom briefcase style thing, with an LCD monitor in the top half,but seems a bit too much work for the time.

2. lewisbuckley

lewisbuckley What's a Dremel?

hi, this is my first post so hi everyone. I am doing the exact same thing this year and I am planning on using smoked transparant acrylic with clear acrylic, nice and simple with a few blue LEDS to make it bit more wow. all my mates are like, no way can you build a pc!
    I am going to make a cube. Try your local Yellow Pages for a plastic supplier. That's what I did, and I think i've found a good one. I am planning on using a small Via motherboard but have found that the PSU is a major space problem. Does anyone know about external PSU's? :idea: Thanks, Lewis

3. 01thogil

01thogil What's a Dremel?

have you seen the pSUs on mini-itx.com? Their tiny and mostly external (Plus they are silent).

4. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

You could buy a couple of sheets of plexi from kustompcs.co.uk, although their stuff could be a bit too thin for structural work.

Mini-itx.com is the place to go for power supplies (or use the one that comes with the barebones system) and you can get a cheap shuttle or other barebones system from pretty much any online shop.

I say make the main case then put LEDs in the corners so that the light from them shines through the plexi at different angles, would look really good.

Tags: