1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Win2k ICS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gandi69, 6 Sep 2004.

1. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

I've just been playing with ICS on a 2k box of mine that has two NICs in, heres the setup:

[​IMG]

I want to be able to access the internet from the PC on the furthest right. Any ideas how to bridge the connection in 2k? Please forgive me for rubbish pictures and info as I am tired.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2004
  2. RTT

RTT #parp

pics broken?

3. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

work fine for me....

anyway you could use a program like analogx (google can point you to it) running on the server in the middle, then configure the right-hand computer to access your server for a net connection. There's instructions with analogx.

4. Gandi69

You see the thing is i've already tried this :( Its not as simple as a basic proxy as the server has its own gateway and not a direct net connection.

It basically comes down to this:

PC on the right requests data >>> sent to 2k box as it is the PC's gateway>>> 2kbox has to ask router as it is the 2k's gateway >>> router goes to the internet >>>. Its sort of like passing the data through with a different gateway for each machine. However I cannot for the life of me get it working.

5. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Erm...alright.

Can't the router provide a direct net connection to the server?

6. Gandi69

I know its a weird setup, but this is just a test as I am going to University soon. The Uni network doesnt allow routers or hubs/switches so the only option is ICS.
    In all effect the router I have drawn on my picture could be the uni's own proxy, giving out DHCP addresses.

As a sort of answer your question Blue Infinity, the router acts as a sort of proxy for all the machines on the network when the require internet access, Hence them sending their requests for the internet to it and it passing the data they require down. So it isnt really a 'direct' connection if you get me.

7. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

gah, ICS is a router.

Any NAT router that has 10base-T interface would work.

But you can set one up, best OS for this by miles is LINUX/BSD/UNIX/ARM_LINUX/any damn thing but windows.

Windows isn't designed for this sort of easy task. As much as i love the OS its not, its like taking a sledgehammer to crack a wallnut.

Myself i would probably pull a NAT router from a skip, or some ebay auction, as i wouldn't have the noise of that p166 i've tried so terribly to silence but the hdd still keeps bugging me, and i can't afford flash memory for the OS.

So very simple to do under *nix, expensive to do under windows (enless you like ur piracy).

8. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

XP can easily "bridge" different connections. Can't 2k?

9. Gandi69

I know its odd, but this router has to be an actual computer if you get me. A home/office dedicated router will simply not do, as no doubt the university will find out :( I've given up on Windows 2k now, I've built a p200 machine and am trying to crack on with IPcop. It does mean however another machine cluttering up my small university room :(

10. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Enabling ICS on the "win2k server" would have done the job...

11. Gandi69

I tried that route mate, however it just wasnt liking having to go through my home router first.

12. Gandi69

I think this thread can be closed now as I think I may have found a replacement for Win2k in FreeSCO. Just means lugging my fileserver to uni, as well as a p133 router :(

Tags: