1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Small A/C unit

Discussion in 'Modding' started by darkhunter, 6 Sep 2004.

1. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

ok im thinking about getting a ac unit to supplie cool air to my computer and computer room (barely big enough for my desk) or mabye if i can find one small enough just for my computer for that i need somptuign about as big as a mid tower but whats the smallest A/C unit anybodys seen online and where can i find it

2. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

A. You wouldn't want to do this
    - Air from the air condition would probably lower the ambient temp in the case to lower than the dewpoint, which would cause condensation (Not saying it would lower the cpu heatsink to that, but you don't want dew forming anywhere on your motherboard.

B. Air conditioners use electricity, quite a bit actually.. more than you would want to spend per month just for some extra cooling.

C. Air conditioners are loud, do you really want something super loud in your house?

3. darkhunter

well acualllty i need one anyway fro my room because unlike the rest of my house it has no ac so i was just wourndering if that was possible thanks

4. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

well i trhink thats quite a good idea but the cons are much worse than the pros and they arnt really levell
    and dont forget the bad i deas give ppl the insperation for good ideas.

5. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Get one just for the room, not one inside the computer. Otherwise you would have to worry about condensation inside the case, etc.

6. Kingskin

Kingskin What's a Dremel?

a bit more expensive, but why not look into a phase change cooling system?

7. darkhunter

umm. phase change sounds like something from star trek but ok and thatnks for all the help

what is the dew point?

8. Phiber Optik

Phiber Optik What's a Dremel?

The dew point is the tempature at which the water vapor in the air begins to form condensation. Much like when you run your air conditioner wide open in the summer and water droplets form on the windows...water not good for electrical components.

Phase change uses liquid coolant almost exactly like an air conditioner pumped over your cpu. This only cools your proc and the problem of condensation is resolved by using dielectric grease in the cpu socket. Very expensive about $800-$900 here in the US.

9. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

i doubt that dew would form in your case, because
    1. it isn't very humid indoors anyway
    2. air conditioners also dry out the air they cool because all the moisture in the air condenses on the a/c unit's evaporator leaving the air dry

10. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Seeing how ill-informed you are makes me laugh....

Who says it isn't humid indoors? Not all houses are identical to yours.

Even if what you said is true, there will still be some vapor left, I can guarantee that you will get condensation if you blow an air conditioner directly into a computer, it's not like you can easily seal up every hole in the case to now allow air with vapor to get in... Even with an air conditioner, you'll get hotter room temps (Unless you put the radiator out of a window)..

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I think the best thing would be to go with an Ac unit for your room and If possible put the Pc near it. I'm not exactly sure but I dont think phase change cooling is that expensive. more Viable would be water cooling. The thing is though unless your going for a huge O/c your computer is running and it hasn't exploded, do you need the extra cooling?
    as far as dew inside your case, I'm doubting an Ac unit would push a Pc case to dew up. Also the mobo's already have a light conformal coating so heavy humidty and light moisture shouldn't be a problem. Also Things like the heatsinks and mosfets produce heat so that would raise them above ambient temps. I've seen people run Pc's in fridges and Freezers before, a Ac unit isn't much different

12. Vequalsir

Vequalsir What's a Dremel?

condensation

Anytime you have air od varying temp and humidity you have a danger of condensation. The air from the conditioner will be "dry"; however, the warmer air inside the CPU, or the room for that matter will be warmer and more humid. as the air cools...water condenses.

If you were to duct an air conditioner directly to the pc, you could. I'd go with a conformal coating over everything for added sucurity. What you would need to do is run the conditioner and fans first to cool the insides of the cpu and remove the warmer existing air. Then power up the PC. the temp will increase, but the air has already been dried by the a/c.

You have the same issue when turning the system off. You want to keep the air moving through the case and keep things dry.

We do the same thing with electronics here at my work. We generally do not have any problems, but our systems run continuously.

13. btk100

btk100 What's a Dremel?

just get one for your room! (like the one you put in you window)
    I have one for summer and when its on I get temp of about 30 degree celsius for my processor, otherwise its at 40...

You will be more comfortable, and your pc will benefit from it too!

14. rarich

rarich What's a Dremel?

peltier cooled water system?

I have been thinking of either buying one of those soda can coolers made for use in cars (12v from the cigarette lighter) and modding it to work from the p/s 12v buss and build the water res. into it. The Dew factor was what I was mainly pondering, but I thought that that would be minimized with the cooled res. setting outside of the system.