1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comp died. Any ideas on how to fix would help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bHawk, 9 Sep 2004.

1. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

So the other day I leave for work, 6 hours later I come home and the computer is powered up but the monitor is blank, and nothing responds. I turn it off, and try to restart but nothing comes up on the screen and the thing begins to beep at me. The computer is an old HP vectra 400 or something like that, so I look up the the beep error codes in an online manual from HP and i find out that the 2 beeps i get means the power supply is in safe mode. I figured the comp either overheated, or some component died. I start pulling out pci cards and the vid card one at a time at try to boot to see if that works. After removing a couple things the comp seems to boot just fine. So I tell it to shutdown so I can start putting back in all the stuff I took out. It shuts down just fine, and I add in my soundcard I believe, and it wont boot again, same problem as before. I take out the sound card again, but this time same things as before happens. I switched out the PSU to see if that was causing problems, but no change. The odd thing is that as soon as the comp is plugged in, the power LED in the front lights up and stays on. Im at a loss as to what to do next. Anyone have any other ideas, or troubleshooting tips?

2. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

maybe its the vga or the soundcard
    i suggest unplugging everything except the cpu ram and vga and trying again
    if nothing happend i say its the vga
    so i suggest testing it

3. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Ive tried unplugging everything, including the memory. And while I dont expect it to boot without memory (much less anything else) I should get a different beep error for having no memory, however, i still got the "power supply in safe mode" error.

4. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

Did I misunderstand or does removing the sound card reliably fix the issue each time you try it?

If so, is there a spare slot you can try plugging it into? Or maybe try a different sound card.. Something might of shorted out on it and is causing the power supply to work overtime?

-scoob8000

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Try a different power supply as well,
    if that's what it says is wrong...
    if it's not the psu, try removing/replacing the components one by one

6. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Something to check - find out where the reset jumper on your mobo is. If the jumper pin thingy is in the wrong position then it might well do that - No graphics and a series of beeps to mark a reset.