1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: HYPERCUBE² 21/03/2005 PICTURES FROM CEBIT

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Joungne, 18 Jul 2004.

1. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Yes this was the amount of artic silver I used... I read the intructions on the site of arctic and seems I was a bit too generous with it. I'm gonna redo that.

Yes I already knew this, but I'm hoping it will be possible to get the ram to run at 2700 (which normally goes in every bios) And maybe I will be lucky and it''ll go with 3200

here are the specs of the leds I used

Color: White
    Lens Color: Water Clear
    Viewing angle: 30 degree
    intensity @ 20mA: 3500 mcd
    Forward Voltage: 3.5 - 4.5 Volt
    Forward Current: 20mA
    Wave Length: n.a.

Price:€0.45
    Stock: Yes

edit : I've got this question about current (wattage) Because I'm using a 350W PSU I was wondering how many Watts the leds will take from the PSU. For example: If I put 10 leds of 3.5V in series with 10 resistors of 390 ohm, am I correct they willl require 35 Watt from my PSU? If so I guess I will have a problem because I already have 30 leds in there and there will be coming 20 more... Can someone tell me how this calculation works?
    greetz

Joungne

Last edited: 8 Sep 2004
  2. Righteous-Tek

Righteous-Tek What's a Dremel?

Don't worry about it Joungne. Even with 30 LED's you would be hard pressed to draw more than 4W (your calculation is a little off :p ). I'll spare you another long explanation (we know what happens when I do that :D ). Instead just utilize Bit-tech's handy dandy LED Calculator:

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/68/

Most diode current ratings are around 20-25 mA. So if you go around the circuit adding up all the Power Dissipation values (mW) of the LED's and Resistors in series, 30 sets gives you less than 4W draw. No worries, keep light'n it up with a free conscience!

3. preatorian

preatorian What's a Dremel?

again, real sweet man. the mod looks like it's really coming together now

4. wickyman

wickyman What's a Dremel?

all i can say thus far is "WOW!". this is a very great mod, actually build up! you have a lot of potential man! keep it up! you have to be one of the best fabricators i have seen in a long time! i guess being a contractor helps! lol i dont think i could do anything near that, and ive been modding for a long time... good job, and keep it up! it took me 3-1/2 hours to read all of this, and its great, very in depth! nice man, nice! good work thus far, keep us posted! this is very interesting! oh btw what is cube? is this the movie with jennifer lopez?

5. Grunt

Grunt What's a Dremel?

As for the led-thing.. indeed.. don't worry :p

You've probably already soldered everything, so this tip is for the future.. user the 12v line and put led's in series. You only need one resistor per group of leds then, not that it really matters, but saves you resistors.. :p

Put 3 leds of them in series and put in a 22 ohm resistor on yer 12v line.

To calculate leds in series:

http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/TechBase/litled_LEDCalc.html

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

yes apple keyboards work on pcs
    yes they are usb
    yes drivers are available (if you need them- older os's): check google
    no not all of the keys will work (apple key) and some people have found the usb hub to be a bit unhelpfull at time...

but a white keyboard would look darn nice with the case and the mouse...just a shame that mac keyboards are pricey!

7. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

why not buy a keyboard and paint it?

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

9. Lourens

Lourens What's a Dremel?

Just to get back on the playing DVDs in Linux thing, did you really think they managed to eradicate DeCSS from the web? I've been playing DVDs (my own mind you) on my PC for quite a while now. The big distributions don't support playing encrypted DVDs out of the box, but it is usually just a single library that you need to install for it to work just fine. Or just hop over to http://www.mplayerhq.hu and download MPlayer. It could probably play movies from a Sumerian clay tablet if you managed to put it into your computer (nice modding idea actually!). Incidentally, this is still legal in The Netherlands, but it won't be anymore when the Dutch government implement the EUCD (maybe they already have, I'm not sure really). Well, I'm currently in Switzerland so... :D

Anyway, this computer is beginning to look better and better, and it was already looking very good. Keep at it! :dremel:

10. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to say that this casemod is probably one of the worlds most advanced ones! I mean....... Everything is custom and it just fit's sooo well!

BTW: Gave you 5 stars, although this is a 6 star mod! :thumb:

11. botchla

botchla What's a Dremel?

Lovely!

I admire ur case SO much :)

btw nice 2 see u used ur siscard for applyin the thermal paste lol :)
    It's only intended as a super 'all data' passport at hospitals :p

Anxiously waiting day 22
    (u'd better start calling them updates instead of days imho :))

greetz

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Excellent, this case clearly points all fingers at you been an Architect. Looks like a very modern office building :thumb:

13. Grunt

Grunt What's a Dremel?

When are you planning to remove the protective layer with acetone? Can't wait to see it in all shyniness :)

14. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

I think that will be something for around october. I'm leaving for NY next monday, so my case has to wait untill I'm back. I still have to wire up the whole rheobus, and still need to do some cutting of plexiglass...

greetz,

Joungne

Tonight there will be another update, but it is something everyone knows because I used a guide from Zapwizzard :)

15. FourDee

FourDee What's a Dremel?

Haha
    hebt gij u sis-kaart gebruikt om die koelpasta open te smeren :D

16. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Project HYPERCUBE² DAY 22

11/09/2004 DAY 22

Back with a small update. For the first mod I have to give all the credit to Zapwizard. I used his excellent guide on the backlit dvdrom and relocating of the eject button and activity light.

This is the dvdrom

[​IMG]
    Its the Pioneer 120S. I allready polished it up (you can find it somewhere in the previous days) and now it was time for some internal modding. My first idea was to make a window in it, but after opening it up, I saw it wasnt so spectacular (the drive isnt very visible). Thats why I used Zapwizards guide (Tnx Zap for the excellent tutorial :)

[​IMG]
    Opened up the drive, and looking for the well known modspots...

[​IMG]
    First I placed in the backlights. I'm gonna use 3 ultra bright white leds and I want them to be on all the time, so this was easy. Only thing I was worried about that the white lights would interfere with the laser (white has also a part of red in it)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Soldered the 5mm leds in place (I want to make a footnote to the guide of Zap : You have to put the leds as low as possible, because otherwise the drive wont load a cd anymore. This is because the spring you can see in the picture above comes all the way back and it has to go over the leds. I found this out the hard way ;-) . I had to put them in twice. I had been looking for the problem of the loading over more then an hour... )

I just soldered the leds to the back of the molex.

[​IMG]
    Here you see the soldered connections for the eject button (in the right) and the activity led (I took the 5 volt from the back of the molex. I solered everyting on to the audio connector of the DVDROM drive because I wanst gonna use it and because I didnt have a spare one like in Zap's guide.

[​IMG]
    Here are all the cables in place and put a little electronic tape over the solder points. I dont want to have a shortcut under the hood ;-)

[​IMG]
    Same thing for the leds : electrical tape

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And thats the result. It isnt as stricking as Zap's red backlight (I only used 3500mc leds, have to order 9000mcd ones ) But I really like the white, and guess what... It still reads CD's and DVD's. Lucky me.

[​IMG]
    Next thing was the IDE cable for the DVDrom. It is kinda the same way as the ATX cable, so I wont go into details. Just some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the sidepanel on.

I took some better pictures of the mouse in total darkness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thats it for now, next update is gonna take a while because I'm going on holiday. :) Lucky me

Greetz,
    Joungne

17. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

i always like your updates

happy holiday

18. fg0d

fg0d Banned

its nice what your doing, building this pc for me and all.... :D Well anyway, the project is coming great :) I cant believe you trust your soldering on that cd-rom :D Its damn sexy, but my soldering should be illegal :d Keep the work up :thumb:

19. mrhanky

mrhanky What's a Dremel?

man, belgium modders are so leet
    you and piloux are just the best
    like your project, now only a transparant keyboard and your setup is perfect
    best cube so far

20. morishani

morishani What's a Dremel?

Great job.

Great Job.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: