1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Controversial Microsoft plan heads for Longhorn

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 9 Sep 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Also from news.com today:

Microsoft continues to tweak a controversial architecture for securing PCs but still plans to include the feature in Longhorn, the next release of Windows.

The software maker stressed that Longhorn will work either with or without enabling the Next Generation Secure Computing Base (NGSCB), a technology designed to make PCs more secure by shifting sensitive data and operations into a separate part of the computer's operation. The software maker also continues an overhaul of the technology, which is already quite different from the code that was given out to developers at Microsoft's Professional Developer Conference last year.

"We're making some modifications based on feedback from the industry," said Steve Heil, Windows technical evangelist, on Wednesday during a presentation at the Intel Developer Forum here.

The revamped NGSCB will still allow companies that use it to separate things like keystrokes and user logins into a separate "compartment" within Windows, a move that should make such information harder for hackers to access. One of the big changes is that these compartments are based on Windows programming interfaces as compared with the custom code that was required in the version given out at the Professional Developer Conference.

More here

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah... this and trusted computing. Neither sounds too good for your privacy. I mean they sound decent on paper (well this one does, TC doesn't at all) but.... umm.... no.

3. spac30dyss3y

spac30dyss3y What's a Dremel?

I'm typically pretty conservative, but the whole tc thing really scares me.

4. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Oh look, there goes the chance of me buying longhorn... plummeting all the way down to zero (from about 5%). MS shoots themselves in the foot again, and but the time it's released, I won't be at school anymore and so won't have to deal with it :D

ConsumerBacklash++;

Tags: Add Tags