1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Ivan

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Audigy, 10 Sep 2004.

1. Audigy

Audigy What's a Dremel?

I just got done with Frances a week ago which was a category 2, now Ivan looks like its coming toward me also which sux, this is a category 5 and is at 170mph and hitting Jamaica, aim i screwed or am i screwed? :wallbash:

2. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

3. Audigy

Audigy What's a Dremel?

sorry didnt see the thread, god when will November come!!!

ps. Novembor is when hurricane season ends

4. [S]huttle

[S]huttle What's a Dremel?

I don't even wanna hear about hurricane Ivan. I just got my power back today from Frances. It's been so hot here 90 + degrees F and the humidity which felt like 100%. Oh it was brutal during the day and night trying to sleep ! We were out of power from Saturday until today Friday. I took some pics of beachside here in Daytona. We got hit pretty hard here. There's one hotel or use to be hotel which was leveled to the ground, looked like a bulldozer went right over it. I also know a friend who lives right on the ocean and his glass back porch is on top of his house. I will post pics tomorrow.

5. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Shuttle, is Daytona Speedway still intact? Any kind of damage to it?

6. [S]huttle

As far as I know. I havent heard anything about it. I do know the power crew companies that are down here helping us out is stationed over at the speedway.

But there was a rumor going around saying that there was a tornado that went down International Speedway Blvd which the speedway is right off of there.

7. Gambleputti

Gambleputti What's a Dremel?

Eh...how bad is a category 5 hurricane exactly? Is it like "well we might have to install new windows...and perhaps a new roof" or "oh ****e we'll be dead if we stay here"?

8. [S]huttle

A catagory 5 hurricane (Devastating) Greater than 155 mph and wind gusts over 200 mph. It'll wipe out anything in it's path. Something that hurricane Ivan is at right now.

I am boarding up windows tomorrow to get ready for this damn hurricane just in case.

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, it's almost here. Looks like Florida is going to be spared the brunt of this as it should make landfall near Alabama which actually can be more of a problem. I was watching The Weather Channel last night and they say that if Ivan hits on or near Mobile, they predict the storm surge to be anywhere from at least 24' to 30'. If that happens, they expect Mobile to be under 18' of flood waters..

10. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Category Five
    Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destructon of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the hurricane center. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. There were no Category Five hurricanes in 1995, 1996, or 1997. Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone of record.

got that from NASA. Click on the link to find out about catagory 1 - 4.

Essentially, in your terms, it's "oh ****e we'll be dead if we stay here"... We're talking about winds SUSTAINED in excess of 150mph here. Gusts can top 200+mph near the eyewall without too much of a problem. In addition to that, they are talking about waves coming off the Gulf exceeding 24' in height.

To give you an idea of what these poor people are facing, I found an article on Fox News stating that if Ivan strikes New Orleans directly, it could cause the nearly the entire city to be submerged under water as high as the tree tops.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2004
  11. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

There's a pretty amazing set of pictures on Yahoo from the AP and other sources. I guess that so far there are 12 confirmed dead in the US...