1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project X1 (Updated Nov 3)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by agent orange, 2 Jun 2004.

1. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: TELL ME HOW U DID THAT! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: I want to do the same thing as said here but am not sure how to do it. :confused: I was thinking about gettin some hex mesh instead of that mesh (with round holes?). But all I care about now is HOW THE HECK DID U DO THAT?! Muchas muchas gracias in advance. :thumb:

2. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

looks good.

3. agent orange

agent orange What's a Dremel?

user, it's actually pretty simple. The main thing is to get ahold of a product called jb-weld. it's like an epoxy, but it will bond to anything. They use it to fix farm equipment and stuff.

Cut the hole, cut the mesh, strip the mesh, paint the mesh, install molding around the cut edge, then just jb-weld the mesh onto the panel. Make sure to sand the contacting surfaces, leave it to sit for 4-6 hrs, and it'll never come off...

hope that answers your question

4. user0001

Sounds great, but did you jb-weld the mesh to the molding or did you remove the molding on the inside and then jb-weld it? I wonder if this jb-weld stuff is strong enough to hold up a radiator too.

5. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

look like it could be good :D

started off with a good case and all :thumb:

6. agent orange

so I FINALLY got my WC stuff set up, and if the leak testing goes well, it'll all be installed tommorrow.

PICCIES:
    [​IMG]
    My ghetto leak test setup... good thing I bought that bamboo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hey, those waterblocks have holes that look about the same size as an LED... I wonder what's going in there? .naughty

more coming soon...

NOW IS TIME FOR DRINKY

7. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

mmmm those blocks look really nice, just wondering where did you get your pump from?

8. user0001

Hey, if you're thinking about how to mount that radiator, I came across a great idea:

Use metal bars J-B welded vertically on the rad to screw into the top supports on the case (which it doesnt look like you have any besides where the panels hook in). If you do have some supports up there you can attach the rad from the sides using screws or something instead of from above. Either that or make some corner supports that mount to the top panel and hold the rad up.

Im going to be doing mine soon (maybe a few days) before I paint the inside. I'll try to get some pics, but I think it is clear (in my mind anyhow) how it will mount.

9. agent orange

Prodigy, I got the pump used in a forum... It came from Bigfoot Computers originally, though.

User, if you look back in the log I made a cut in the top PSU bay, so that the rad would fit. I'm just going to plop it in there. it's pretty much perfect, even has the right spacing for the fans.

10. agent orange

Well, here she is, all installed:
    [​IMG]
    I know it's a mess, but I'm dealing with the cabling later.

I thought everything was running smoothly, but my temps are reporting higher now than on air....
    .uhoh

The NB is reporting 28, which is fine, but the CPU is showing 50 Idle.

It's not overclocked, and I checked for kinks, and I can't see any... The only thing I can think of is too much AS5 on the CPU. I'll have to try re-seating it with less, and see how it goes... til then .wave

11. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

the temps are high probably because you have plumbed up the w/c gear in a unconventional and noobish non-performance method.

The cpu block you have is of a high-flow, restrictive nature meaing it's works best when pressure is high and flow is neat to create the requires turbulance within the block to cool the cpu.

Meaning pump > cpu block > y-connect > rest of system

You have not and thus you would not get/should not expect to get the best temps.

12. agent orange

that's pretty much how it's set up, it goes:
    rad->pump->CPU->GPU/NB in parallel-> y-connect->res->rad

I didn't think it was so unconventional to place the y-connect later in the series, and I was under the impression that as long as the CPU block is getting water right from the pump, it would be high enough in pressure.

Just to clarify, I'm using an MCP600 rev 2.

I could run everything in series, but I thought this would simplify the tubing....

13. user0001

When you apply AS5, they recommend that you put a dab in the middle and then mount the cooler. This way doesnt create air pockets and such. Before they used to recommend that you spread it evenly (at least for ASC) but they have changed their minds. Looks good. BTW: is that clearflex 60 you have for your tubing? I hate the stuff even though it is what most people recommend. Oh and what gauge is that mesh and where di you get the molding?

Last edited: 13 Sep 2004
  14. user0001

This is an awesome mod, so I'm going to bump it up. I also need some info on what molding that is and how you did that. It looks like you just used molding on the edges and attached the mesh inside? Is there any molding small enough (20 or 22 gauge ideally; 0.036" and 0.028") to attach it like you would a window? I need to buy this stuff to complete my mod.

15. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

I'm with User, I don't need to know about how to attach it, but as to where you got it, cuz that's exactly what i'm looking for for my top pannel and my front pannel???

Last edited: 22 Sep 2004
  16. agent orange

Sorry for the lack of updates. My pump had some kind of rare "randomly turning off" problem, so I've have to remove the entire watercoling setup for now.

I just placed a huge order. Going with all SilenX fans, C-Systems Dual pumps, an OCZ DDR booster, and some more ramsinks and various other stuff.

I was wondering, though If anyone had a good idea for mounting this res. I tried using velcro, but that failed miserably. Maybe some of that industrial velcro will work...

I'd like it mounted vertically, so I can have a fill tube at the top, and the loop tubes at the bottom.

And for those asking about the mesh, and molding, I got all of it from
    MNPCTECH

17. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

Agent. i have the same mobo as you and on air i was getting temps of like 60. but to fix it what you need to do is flash the bios. it will lower temps by like 20. mine now runs at about 40-45. Hope this helps

18. agent orange

Thanks. I got that BIOS recently, too.

I went out and bought an AeroGate, so I could verify the temps, and it was clear the mobo was wrong.

We'll see how the system does when I put in all my new gear.

19. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

20. agent orange

Sure, Bill. It's not done, yet, so when I finish the side panel, there'll be more pics for you. Working 2 jobs, and running a website doesn't leave a lot of time for this stuff lately...