1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics possible to not need resistors???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by unlucky2LUCKY, 13 Apr 2002.

1. unlucky2LUCKY

unlucky2LUCKY What's a Dremel?

aight, i wanna light up 4 LEDs... all 4 run off of approx. 3 V... i was wondering if i could split all four from the 12 V+ of a molex and have no prob running them, or is there an easier way? oh and i wanna stick em on a switch... so do i run the 12 V+ lead into the switch then split on the output of the switch into the 4 LEDs???

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Check the Vf and always use a resistor, leds do vary in Vf so you could end up with a high current if total Vf was only 11.5v.

General advice is to limit a series chain so total Vf is <80% Vs, so 4 @ 2.2v would be OK, but no more than 3 @3v.

3. unlucky2LUCKY

yeah, i kinda had that in mind... the led's are actually 3.7 V... i figured at 3 V they'd still do the job i want them to do... anyone know of someone who's done something similiar? basically i'm looking for like a pic of this done or a diagram or something... cuz i'm not exactly sure if i'm thinking it right

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You can't under-volt leds - below the forward voltage they're off, negligible current will flow.

Once voltage reaches Vf current increases and they light up.

Above Vf the series resistor takes the spare volts, a voltmeter check across the led will only show a slight increase over Vf for a large increase in supply voltage.

I'd draw you a graph but it's gone midnight :p

5. unlucky2LUCKY

hmnmm... what about the 5 V+ lead? is there a way i can power up 4 lights from that? like have em break off at different points or something? i tried the leds at 5 V and they worked great

6. KevinOwns

KevinOwns What's a Dremel?

Just put them all in parallel. You will still want a resistor though.

7. bottletop

bottletop What's a Dremel?

I "relieved" my employer of an LED matrix. It consisted of 90 red LEDs (89 are working). From looking at the wiring they seem to be a bank of 10 in series and 9 of these banks in parallel. I don't know anything about the output values but the LEDs are about 3-4mm dia.

I'd seen it connected to a smallish 12V battery at work so I brought it home and plugged it into the 12V line of a molex.

This baby is as bright as the sun LOL. Lights my case up a treat.

I must say you got me bit worried about needing resistors as there was a resistor on there - a ceramic block of some sort of the V+ wire but it got broke. Doesn't seem to miss it though.