1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by tintin, 7 Sep 2004.

1. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

And that was meant to make me hate you less?

either way... they gave you enough money to get an iBook... and I had the vague memory of you saying that's the thing you applied for the grant to get...

But anyway... I want a iBook (or if I somehow get a silly amount of money.. Powerbook :D mmmmmmmmmm)

2. Gambleputti

Gambleputti What's a Dremel?

3. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

If you are going to consider AMD, Fujitsu has some great products right now. I cant say much for the Intel or software, but HP/Compaq are very close in comparison from what I can tell. I dont particularly like the new emachine or anything that says DuLL on it.

BTW-How exactly do you custom build a laptop? Your sorta limited on the "custom" part.

4. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

buy a sony X505 :D DVDRW, wifi, 1ghz celeron, and its like 5mm thick (seriously)

5. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

linky? pics??? I MUST see!!!

6. 1-Man-Army

1-Man-Army What's a Dremel?

i got a dell i8600 its a sweet laptop 5 hrs battery life(pretty good eh? my dad left my laptop unplugged by mistake playing cs and then he noticed it was unplugged thats like after 2hrs lol!!, i dont no if he noticed the slow down tho )
    specs radeon 9600 turbo 128mb
    hdd 5400 rpm 2mb cache
    centrino 1.4ghz
    512mb ram
    any ways i like the laptop i havent had any problems except it costed an arm :p(well 2500 dollars canadian when i got it in 2004 feb) dell laptops=pretty good but the laptop casing should have been made abit better

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

8. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

DUDE! but its a Dell? how can you advocate a Dell to anyone :jawdrop: im terrified. anyway alienware has g00d laptop prices

9. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

The only problems I've seen with Dells are the crap they install at the factory. Format the hdd and it's all gravy.

10. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

I'm writing this on a motion computing 1400 slate. In fact it is doing speech recognition for me right now , I'm not typing anything . This slate features an array of microphones which allows it to almost completely eliminate background noise interference . In fact it's almost amazing how accurate it is . Now if only I could figure out how to remove those weird spaces . Anyway , let me find a link to motions web site and post a picture for you all to drool over .

http://www.motioncomputing.com/

[​IMG]

The price of this particular computer is probably beyond the budget of the original poster, this is right around two grand , but it is fully loaded.

11. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

ahhhhh, laptops, i just got me a fujitsu siemens 15.4" widescreen laptop. desktop replacement ofcourse. athlon64 :rock: (specs in my sig)
    but i spose if u want long battery life then this wouldnt be ur choice, though it does have brilliant specs for the price and i figure im never gonna be away from a power sourse for that long.
    not sure what the fujitsu siemens pentium-m laptops (Amilo-m) are like (5.5 hours battery life iirc) but i hear the amilo-d laptops of theirs have terrible screens. this has one of the best ive seen though.

linky linky

12. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Fujitsu Siemens Special Edition (100 prototypes direct from factory).

Dual P4 3.08 ghz (both HT capable, giving 12Ghz max).
    Battery life... dont be stupid.

I know it doesnt suite your needs :)

Apple lappies (ibook 800mhz) i can tell you from experience averages at about 5 hours of battery life under "office" usage (ie: emails and work).

13. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

i dont like to defend compaq/hp, but i like seeing false information given even less. unless something's changed in the last 3 weeks, compaq notebooks have no adware supported software on them. an off the shelf presario notebook will come with: microsoft works, microsoft money, norton antivirus with a 90 day trial subscription, a 60 day trial of office, a couple isp signups(aol and msn, among others), burning software(either roxio or record now) and a couple hp imaging programs. fresh off a recovery, the boot is fairly clean, running a few un-necessary programs, but there's no adware. you're going to get the same crap on pretty much any mass produced model. it's really easy to get rid of...format, reinstall windows, and only install what you want from the cd's

14. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I use a Gateway 2000, specs in my sig.

Screen kept going weird so I ended up taking the front off, pulling all the shielding out, and sticking a piece of paper behind the screen connector to stop it from working it's way out.

Works much better now :hehe:

15. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

so you are using one of those now huh?... must be why I never can contact you on msn anymore... :hehe:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HT doesnt = 2 cpus, nor do dual processors = twice the power, so you havent really got 12Ghz. Battery life.. nano-seconds? Does it allow you enough time to shut it down at least?

17. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

ok, well. sorry about that. but all the new compaqs I have worked on have had the same thing. The adware may have been installed at the sales location. They were all bought from the same place. Although, one of my friends has a compaq. AMD Athlon xp 2000+. was bought about a year ago though. The ones I am refering to were somewhere around 2500+ or 2.5ghz celly specs.

I do agree with you for the most part, except the few instances I have seen.

also, hk... it has dual p4 cpus, and its portable... I agree with Bindibadgi. The battery life is not going to be real great on that thing I bet. unless you have a large back pack filled with battery packs.

18. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

I know that mate, it has two physical CPUs, both with HT enabled. Battery life isnt worth talking about when they are both on. Its a desktop replacement more than anything else.

19. 1-Man-Army

1-Man-Army What's a Dremel?

well there laptops arent that bad cuz u can custom the hardware except for the fact they install crap in but after a format its all good(and maybe the case should be made better?) :D besides that alien ware woulda ripped my leg and arm off me....but the main reason i got the dell was it was the only laptop i could find in my area that i could custom and add in a radeon 9600 and was cheaper then all the laptops i have seen mine is 2.5k with taxes so it wassnt that bad.....besides it couldnt be worse now would it?.....

Last edited: 13 Sep 2004
  20. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

very nice, had a quick play with one a while back, irrc it was only the 2nd one in the UK at the time, and sony had only sent it to them a couple of days before, wasnt even ment to be on show, does look veeeeeeey nice, just costs a fair wedge for the spec thou.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2004