1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cluster

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hacker 8991, 14 Sep 2004.

1. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

I am in the planning pahse for building my very own cluster. The first step, for me, is to find the right hardware for the job. I am looking for something that is very low cost and very small, so I have decided on using mATX. Anyway, the shopping list that I have so far is as follows.
    Can anyone forsee any problems with this hardware?

Thanks,
    tf

2. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

id help but i dont kno wat u mean by cluster, tell me i can, but thats looks like a decent enuff rig. im a n00b kinda :wallbash:

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

How many machines wil be in this cluster, and what do you need to use it for?

4. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

I assume that's the spec for each computer in your cluster-to-be?

You usually have a large shared central storage location (not 40GB in each computer).

You won't need a mouse & keyboard for each computer either. You can probably get rid of the CD-ROM too.

5. Chrisy

Chrisy What's a Dremel?

It really depends on what this cluster is setting out to do. If say it is stuff like SETI (distributed, non-coupled calculations) then this sort of machine would be fine. (I assume you would be getting quite a few)

If however you are thinking of doing something more along the lines of multi-processor programming and the like you may want to think about the communications between the PCs. If you have a program which is spread amongst the computers there will need to be some communications and these take time. If you need lots of communications to be happening then I would recommend getting fewer more powerful machines (perhaps with more memory).

However I am coming from a super-computer background (UK based HPCX machine if anyone is interested) so may be over doing things.

Chris