1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Would this work then, eh?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Idioteque, 15 Sep 2004.

1. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

alright. basically i'm thinking of having my two main pcs (on different floors of the house) connected wirelessly to use the internet and printer off the main main pc (confused yet?) I was wondering if i can run my wired network hub (8 ports) through the pc recieving the internet off the main main pc, then wiring 3 ports to other computers so they can access the internet/printer? possible? or more explanation needed?

Or should i just have the electrician round so he can install a new phone line so i can finally make use my wired network hub (5 ports) which has a dsl modem built in (only cost me £4, thank you ebay!)

2. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

Why not just get a Router with wireless capability?
    Like so:

PC #1 >>>>wireless link>>>>>>>|Router|-----inbuilt switch----3 PCs and PC#2 + printer

Another option would be to not get a router and use the the PC with the internet as a proxy for all your machines:

PC #1 >>>>wireless link>>>PC#2 + printer + DSL with ICS ------switch---3 PCs

With this option your going to have to have a wireless NIC and normal ethernet NIC in one machine.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2004
  3. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

mainly because wireless routers cost upwards of £60 and i'm broke, and have a wired router hanging round.... hang on.... idea! erm..... I'll call the electrician in. why are there no phone lines in my room?

screw the wireless connection. i'll just upgrade to 2Mbps on AOL (hey, i didn't choose, i don't pay the bills round here.) if it were my choice i'd be using bulldog-dsl but my mum seems to think RAM is where you store everything on the pc and obviously needs AOL. damnit. when i'm outta school i'm moving to a flat with all the pcs i've made.... even the pentium 2's. Did I mention my mother thought a vide card I had was a motherboard.... god, how i loathe non-technical old people.

4. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

I take it the PC with the internet and printer is on the ground floor of your house? If you get a phoneline to the room for use with your router how are you going to be able to use the printer on the PC downstairs? I'd say install the router downstairs and run Cat5 to the PC downstairs and more Cat5 upstairs to your room.

Tags: