1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding how do i spray?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hilmana, 16 Sep 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

im doin my 1st mod and i need a little help concidering im a noob
    any one has any tips on ow to spray coz the last time i sprayed i got loads of bubbles and when they dry i get loads of ugly bumps
    any tips?

2. dmcm01

dmcm01 Banned

sand down till its smooth, REALY smooth, wash it, let it dry, stand back, spray evenly and not too fast....and you MIGHT want to finish with a laquer but i didn't.
    but as for the bubbles and bumps, i got them anyway, but sitting here now i cant see anything wrong with mine, the only way to avoid them is with a nice £200 job from a car re-spay center, but most of them wont do such a poxy job and will probably laugh you out of their building....

3. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

I know I saw someone's guide for painting once... but I couldnt find it when I looked just now.

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Yay for linear! link

BTW, this is in the wrong section, read the rules please! :thumb:

5. thrasher

thrasher What's a Dremel?

If its plastic, use vinyl dye, after one coat it looks like it came like that out of the factory. If its metal, use tons and tons of very light coats and leave about a half an hour between coats. Those methods work for me every time. :D

6. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

i was going to post that :p

7. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

If you can, use those higher quality enamel paints.

They're chemically formulated to stick together and "cake" very smoothly.

Add to that some GOOD clearcoat, rubbing compound, and a weekend's worth of work and you'll get a great finish provided you TAKE YOUR TIME.

8. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

I feel dirty for just posing on such an off-board-topic thread, but never let it be said that I let another modder down.

Hope this helps. I posted it for another thread a while back.

Also, one mistake I've seen a good many people make is trying to paint when it's rainy outside, or the humitidy is really high. This just doesn't work. It causes the paint to bloom (turn cloudy).

Also, to each his own, but I am not a big fan of any rattle can enamels. They are good if you don't have time to paint (single coat) and don't care that much about how it looks, but for good quality results out of a rattle can, automotive laquers are the only way to go.

9. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Yeh, that's basically what I do.

2 primer, 3 color, sand smooth, clear, clear, clear, clear, clear....

Lacquers aren't good unless you're a patient person. Which I am not. :D

10. 2Busy

2Busy What's a Dremel?

Typically this results from too heavy of a spray. Make sure surface is clean and dry and smooth, preferably a few coats of primer first, light sanding with 400 grit or higher between coats, even best to use wet sanding. Better to spray all paint in several light coats than a few heavy coats.

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

a) this certainly isnt a project log, so i havent the faintest idea why it was placed there, hence the move

b) this topic has been discussed time and time again in these forums, if you use the search you will get piles upon piles of information regarding this, hence the close

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.