1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing parts for a new system (help needed)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AL3X, 18 Sep 2004.

1. AL3X

AL3X What's a Dremel?

Can someone tell me if this setup is worth the money? And is there anything that I should replace?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT 256 MB Ultra/2400
    OCZ PC3200 Enhanced Latency Platinum 1 GB / 2x512 MB

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: If someone could recommend some w/c blocks for the CPU and GPU as well, I'd be grateful :)

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Might go with a different board since DFI is notoriously troublesome. Other than that, youre good to go. :thumb: as far as watercooling blocks, I dont know about watercooling, Im afraid. Good luck!

3. AL3X

AL3X What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tip! :)

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Erm...the Socket A boards perhaps, but the UT NF3 250Gb is probably the best board in existence for S754 at the moment - there's mass raving over it at many overclocking sites, and AnandTech has extremely favourable things to say about it...don't change, you'll probably regret it. And if you can stretch a bit to OCZ EB you'll probably do better as well, they perform better than the EL modules.

For the 6800GT, have a good look at the Dangerden NV-6800 block, though you'll be lucky to find them available - otherwise the DD Maze4 is good too, and for your CPU I recommend the A64 TDX. I don't know a great deal about low-flow blocks, but have a look at the AlphaCool kit that bigz just reviewed on the main page ;)

5. AL3X

AL3X What's a Dremel?

Okey, thanks =)

I'll take a look at the w/c blocks and the memory.. :)

6. DanMcr

DanMcr What's a Dremel?

Agreed about the DFI board. Certainly looks very good. Just make sure you get info off people that actually have the retail boards etc.
    (personally im getting fed up of cherry picked hardware for reviewers, but thats for another thread another time :blah:)

Also, have a good read through OCZ support forums if you decide to go with OCZ. Some helpfull people over there. A64 and memory seems completely hit and miss at the moment. Some people have the EB stuff running great guns while others cant get it stable at stock timings etc.
    The 3700el Gold rev3 looks like a champ for 939 boards. (Finally) And maybe the 4000rev2. Couldnt tell you for 754 though, ive only been looking at stuff tested on 939.