1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Water Wetter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ICDragon, 18 Sep 2004.

1. ICDragon

ICDragon What's a Dremel?

Whats the differance between Zerex Racing Super Coolant and Redline WaterWetter? are they just differant brand, or are both needed in your WC system?

2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

You only need to use one addative. I've not used either but I've heard good things about Zerex. althogh it turns the water bright pink.

As long as you follow the instructions with Water Wetter you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of people have problems with it becasue they put too much in.

3. dreamreality

dreamreality What's a Dremel?

Watter wetter just helps prevent corrosion, but its not really needed now with new setups. It's suppose to help reduce temps, but i haven't noticed any temp diff once i added water wetter. it also stains your tubes white if u add too much. but its easy to clean with a little bleach.

4. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

Water Wetter does pretty well but it will stain your tubes after a while, even with just a little. My res took it in the pants as well, unfortunatly I have no idea yet how to clean it :sigh: Its seems like regular antifreeze mixes do the best in most setups ive seen, I havnt tried it yet though.

Brew

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

What's the "right" amount? I've heard anything from a couple drops to a capful+. The only person that seems to have used it right sounded like a few drops and not enough to produce a noticible color in the water.

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Yep, less is more in this case. Use too much and you will end up with a frothy mess.

The best thing to do is read the instructions and mix it before you fill it so you can get the right ratio.

7. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

ive also heard that water wetter smells HORRIBLE so if you spill some buy some odor bombs for teh house. lol

8. dreamreality

dreamreality What's a Dremel?

yea it smells really bad.

i would add about 10% water wetter and 90% water.

try adding some bleach to ur setup, it might be able to unstain ur tubes a little.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

lol from what I heard it should be more like 0.1%/99.9%

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have some experience with Zerex Racing. The recommended solution is 5%. It does indeed, as Darv points out, turn your water pretty pink (well, Fuchsia, if you want to be pedantic about it). On the upside, it doesn't foam, it doesn't smell, and offers better corrosion resistance than Water Wetter. It does cause a slight opaqueness of the tubing however, but when it is filled with coolant this is hardly noticeable.

11. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

I ran water wetter in high concentration (I liked the color) and it pretty much ate the acylic res I built.... eating through the seams. What a mess.

12. Delirious

Delirious What's a Dremel?

I use water wetter in a mixture according to the instructions on the bottle. Only thing ive noticed is it tends to discolor the hose a little. It prevents corrosion and decreases surface tension which is supposed to make the water flow better. Both additives also prevent bacteria and other stuff from growing in your system. Also water wetter has a more neutral ph compared to zerex coolant.

I've used water wetter for about 2 yrs now in about 3 different resevoirs and havent noticed it eating away at it, of course i used the proper mixture :D

Adding bleach is a really bad idea as it actually speeds up galvanic corrosion.

Heres a site with some good info on water cooling additives
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/

13. ICDragon

ICDragon What's a Dremel?

anything i can do about this? could I use UV dye, and add some cold cathodes or soemthing?

Last edited: 22 Sep 2004
Tags: