1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bush/Kerry Debate

Discussion in 'General' started by TekMonkey, 1 Oct 2004.

?

Who won the debate?

1. Dubya

18 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Kerry

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. It's Debatable.

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Well, the first debate just ended. I'd like to know what those of you who watched it thought. At the beginning of the debate, I was more undecided, but I thought Kerry won this debate and liked him better than Bush.

Mods: could you please create a poll that says: "Who do you think won the first debate?" Bush or Kerry?

2. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I did not watch it, I will be interested to find out how many times Kerry changed his story durring that period of time ;)

3. apollyon

apollyon What's a Dremel?

I watched a fair chunk of it. To be honest i think kerry worked the vietnam war in there one to many times, and i think bush used "we have to send a strong unified message" as a universal blanket response for anything he was questioned on. To be totally honest i didn't hear a whole lot of good material, just more of the same things we've been hearing for a while :sigh:

4. inmate909

inmate909 What's a Dremel?

Someone at my sons school scheduled a 'Family Math Night' for tonight and I did not get a chance to watch it. Should catch the highlights though.

5. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I was pissed that it was on. It made me miss a new CSI. :grr:

I ended up watching reruns of Stargate SG-1 instead.

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i didnt bother watching it. i saw kerry's speech from the convention, and i slept thru it.
    i seen bush's speech back before he got elected. seen enuff.

the best i can figure it is that theres the weenie we know, versus the weenie we dont know. vote nader.

i am a bit miffed about CSI though.

froggy: thanks for the gmail link. first one ive hit that actually works :)

7. toidiochysp

toidiochysp What's a Dremel?

i saw about half an hour of it, it didn't change my mind either way, i knew i was voting for bush 4 years ago(before i could vote) and i know i will vote for him in november

8. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

meh, kerry kept saying stuff along the lines of "I have a better plan! vote for me" and Bush just pointed out all the stuff he has done thus far. Wish I could vote :( I miss it by a couple months, now I've gotta wait 4 freakin years...

but yeah...
    :clap: GO BUSH! :clap:

9. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

I watched quite a bit of it at a silly time this morning. I think Bush had the upperhand. Kerry had his big plan, put didn't really go into any specifics of what he'd do & how he'd do it. Well apart from ploughing more money into the War On Terror (even though he had already stated that the money spent on the WOT could have been put into the health system / schools etc etc). I liked Bush's response asking where the money would be coming from.

10. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

kerry changes his mind waay too much. I have no clue if that guy even knows where hes going. He starrts by critisizing bush and saying the money for the war on terror shoulda been put into homeland security and education, etc. Then, when it seems advantageous for him to say it, he says more money should be spent on the war efforts. Its rediculous how two faced the man is.

11. B-Con

B-Con What's a Dremel?

there was a debate?

12. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Poll created, moved to GN&SD.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, it can't be a worse plan... :D

Sounds to me a case of "the devil you know vs. the devil you don't". As always.

14. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

My thoughts exactly (better the devil you know).

I think Bush did a better job as all Kerry seemed to be able to do was to spout "Bush sucked, I can do better", but didn't really include anything of substance plus I was getting tired of the Vietnam references. Give it up dude, that was 30-odd years ago and better left in the past.

Personally, I'm not completely happy with Bush, but don't like Kerry at all. In fact, I've said this before, Kerry scares the hell out of me for some reason. One thing with Bush is that he speaks his mind whether or not he should have or not, you know where he stands on issues. Kerry's past is frought with side-stepping and two-facing issues - he's notorious for speaking for or against something at first and switching sides in the middle of things when it goes sour.

15. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I only managed to see a few short highlights but from those my impression was that Bush was just making him look stupid tbh.

One part I remember was Kerry saying what a collosal(sp?) error of judgement Bush made with regards to the war etc. etc. - which OK is true, at least in my opinion - but then Bush just quotes him back saying he (Kerry) was for it after reading the same intel. reoprts.

Saying that, there must have been some good parts I missed because all the news reports I have seen so far have been saying that Kerry came out better in this first debate?

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

My point exactly. Kerry voted for the Iraq war yet is saying we shouldn't be there, etc...

This I don't understand. I saw the debate, yelled at the tv a couple of times with comments from Bush and Kerry, yet all-in-all, I think Bush did a much better job. Who knows.

17. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

IMO, Kerry was way more well spoken but said nothing, Bush had some long awkward pauses like he lost his train of thought but what he said had a lot more substance. If you judge it on debate technique, Kerry looked more polished, if you judge it on what was actually said, it was Bush. I fall on the side of what was said.

For me, Kerry's hindsight 20/20 crap and monday morning quarterbacking is not only worthless but counterproductive.

"I would've done it differently, even though as all this developed, I was on board with the president." :rolleyes:

18. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

judging in speaking alone, bush didn't do so hot. his body language was terrible: he slumped, he shifted, he squirmed. he seemed uncomfortable. long pauses, lots of "um's", and stuttering aren't something i would look for in a public speaker. he seemed to me to be very reactionary; whenever kerry gave a rebuttal, he seemed frantic to say something in return. as far as issues go, bush didn't give satisfactory answer as to why or how osama got away, seemed too stubborn about multi-lateral talks with korea, why he's tolerating russia's slide away from democracy towards dictatorship, and unwilling to mention how small the coalition really is (seemed to love poland, and they sent what? less than 1000 troops? i don't claim to know the figure myself, but i do know that it was far less than what we sent. morocco offered to send monkeys y'know). and personally, i can't stand his inability to pronounce the word "nuclear"; always pronounces it "nukyooler".
    kerry on the other hand didn't stutter, didn't have long pauses, no "um's", stood up straight, didn't shift or squirm. didn't seem uncomfortable. didn't seem frantic to give a rebuttal. seemed collected and calm. overall, a good public speaker last night. issue-wise, i will agree with others in that he didn't say exactly how he could do better, but i believe the time constraints worked against him (bush too, to be fair). he gave some important figures, such as the fact that the death toll in iraq keeps rising every month, that we have committed 90% of the resources and troops to iraq, and that the current administration "out-sourced" (his word) the hunt for osama to afghan warlords.
    in my opinion, kerry seemed better prepared, and i believe he won the debate.

as for flip-flopping: depends on how you look at it. if charging the machine gun bunkers across the minefield in broad daylight doesn't appear to be working, a change in tactics is called for. if you feel you have made an error in judgement, i feel the correct thing to do is to correct your mistake, not push forward and stubbornly cling to your belief that you are right or justified.

as for mixed messages: it's not ok for n. korea and iran to have nukes, but it's ok for us to work on developing new bunker busting nuclear weapons? "do what i say, not what i do" folks?

anyway, that's my spiel. i do realise almost all politicians flip-flop and send mixed messages, it's just that some hide it better than others :) .

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

True, but at least it can be argued that he is influenced by public opinion (for now, that is, he may turn into a right despot once in office, of course).

The thing that scares me about Bush is exactly that resolute blind stupidity with which he doggedly takes us all to Hell in a handbasket. He is the very antithesis to Democracy. With Quantanamo Bay and the Patriot Act he is slowly turning the US into a Dictatorship amateurs like Saddam Hussein could only aspire to --doing it slowly, charismatically and demagogically, under the guise of "Patriotism", he is more in the league of Adolf Hitler (who had the same approach in the 30's). What, that corn-fed, honest-to-goodness, down-to-earth farmboy being a tyrant? Surely not. But y the time people stop cheering him on and realise what their country has become, it will be too late.

The problem with Kerry is that a lot of people will be prepared to make a pact with the devil if that gets rid of Bush, and I can't help but worrying that Kerry, realising this, is that devil...

As it says in Alien vs. Predator: "No matter who wins, we lose."

Last edited: 1 Oct 2004
  20. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

The thing is, yes Kerry seems to be influenced by pulic opinion, but ALL politicians are infuenced by public opinion and none more than when they are on the campaign trail. I wouldn't put too much creedence into Kerry being influenced by the puclic at all. This is why I refuse to watch many debates or campaign commercials, they are trying to influence my decision to vote for them by any (legal) means they can. I look at their political past, what they've done recently, their moral values and what their big campaign issues are and how they will resolve the problem or how they will make it better. Only then will I make my decision on who I will cast my vote for.

The biggest problems that I have with Bush administration is the Patriot Act and the INDUCE Act eventhough that has more to do with Warren Hatch. I agree with Bush that something needed to be done about Iraq & Afganistan I'm still not sure if invasion was a good idea because I am woefully unqualified to make that decision or assumption. I also believe something should be done with the other "rouge" countries, but again, I'm not qualified to make any judgements or offer any suggestions on how to resolve those issues. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have to look at each candidate and judge which one I think will benifit my family more than the other.

Debates in my eyes are nothing more than a grown-up "you suck, I'm better" schoolyard argument. It's too bad that so much public opinion is based on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.