1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks what isp??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waltergronkite, 30 Sep 2004.

1. waltergronkite

waltergronkite What's a Dremel?

IM at student and want broadband, but not sure what isp is best, i do alot of gaming and downloading... and want about a 1mb unlimited.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

PlusNet or Zen are both good ISPs.

3. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

Freedom2Surf are a good outfit - despite the somewhat cheesy name. I've used them for the last 9 months with no problems. Static IPs, and no hassles with running your own servers etc. If you know what you're doing, they're great.

Buzzy

4. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Bulldogdsl

No complaints from me, been using them two years.

5. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Hi-Velocity adsl. Great service and quite cheap. I used to have zen and never had any problems but they're a bit more expensive.

Search the adsl guide forums for more info on all adsl suppliers. :)

6. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

I find Pipex to have a reliable service and at quite a cheap rate

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Plusnet again - I've used them for over a year and had no problems. Recently upgraded to 1mb, no hassle.

8. waltergronkite

Just been on the Plusnet site and you choose your speed, then you choose your badwidth, i thought bandwidth was the speed.... is it you download limit?

9. waltergronkite

Ive been lookign at blueyonder/telewest they seem pretty good, but one of my mates got broadband last year and it had difficulty with the dns servers it kept ****ing up and was **** for gaming. good once you were connected but it took a while. Anybody know what blueyonder is like?

10. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Thing with most cable is the stupid proxy systems/cacheing they use (I personally dont like it, but it does work).

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

If its in GB and is something like 1GB, 5GB ... 30GB it is the Download limit. The Premier option has no dl limits tho.

12. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Never Go Tiscali, i get Lag from 5-10 most days of the week on my 512 line :wallbash: Going BT 1 meg in November, i know a few people with line excerlent for gaming, except the 30GB cap for downloading.

13. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Another vote for www.freedom2surf.net

used them for years now, never one problem with the connection or question why I use sooo much bandwidth.

I can't tell you what their customer service is like - but that's because nobody ever needs to use it! :D

14. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Not sure if you have NTL up there but i have never had any problems with it and has always been great service.

15. hardflipman

hardflipman What's a Dremel?

i've been using blueyonder now for a couple of years and up until recently have had no problems.
    cheap and fast and works perfectly. i believe with some adsl you actually have to connect using dial up networking whereas with cable it's just a network connection and you are permanently connected. also makes it easier to set up a machine as a server/router etc.

the problems i have at the moment are due to something happening to the cables in the street which i guess could happen to any service. only problems is i've been waiting nearly 3 months for them to get planning permission to dig up the road to fix the cables. but it does mean that i hae free internet and tv until it's fixed. just goes off for a while once a day usually!

Tags: