1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics genius idea!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SoylentGreen, 2 Oct 2004.

1. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen What's a Dremel?

have you guys ever seen hid proxypro cards? they're these security cards you just wave in front of the reader, no swiping required. because they don't need to read a barcode, you could put plexi or something over it and it could be completely hidden. i want to make a switch where you wave a card over a certain part of the computer and a hidden reader behind it turns the computer on. :rock: but hey i have no experience so i want to hear about someone else doing it first

2. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Would that be like the RFID tags in stores and such? I've never seen such cards.

3. SoylentGreen

4. MegadetHCl

MegadetHCl What's a Dremel?

Did some reading on that site, and found this link

Proximity Screen Lock

Sounds interesting, but expensive.

5. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

im guessing its basically like a mobile speed pass in the states. you just wave it and it reads it. its a clever idea but to expensive to be worth the time.

6. SoylentGreen

negative, i've found readers for 20 bucks. only thing is it looks difficult to program the cards. i don't think i would want to buy a new one, or that one that locks the workstation. i want to use it as a power switch.

7. SoylentGreen

SAVE US JEBUS! i mean, ZAPWIZARD!

8. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'd say repost in the "electronics" forum, you'll have more luck there.

9. lasoaaro

lasoaaro What's a Dremel?

Btw...That was my idea to use on my Mod...those things a Bloody expensive...like $150US...anyway..Later..

10. SoylentGreen

if you get a new one...i saw one for 20 but its unprogrammed and doesn't come with cards

11. nizon

nizon What's a Dremel?

12. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

now to take this completely off subject. I've used quite a few of the phidget items and i have to say i've been extremely impressed with what you can do with them.

13. SoylentGreen

aaaaany takers?

14. Rod10k

Rod10k What's a Dremel?

Ok, well with these systems you have two parts, the first is the reader, this is not overly complicated, it will just interogate the card with an electro-magnetic pulse and the card will 'reply' with its unique id. Then comes the clever bit, the number read from the card is fed into a control box (these days just a PC) which determines whether the code is allowed to enter, if it is then a relay will be operated to unlock the door.
    The cards themselves do not need to be programmed, they simply have a unique number and you train the PC to allow the card, rather than the otherway round.
    You may well be able to find the readers for $20 but they are just the simple bit.

However do not fear because there is a solution...
    A) Pick up one of those readers for $20 and try and work out the comunication protocol that it uses. Once you have this sussed you could hook it up to a PIC or so and use that to perform the backend, the PIC could operate a transistor to start the PC, also it could (probably) all run from the 5v USB suspend supply from the PSU.

B) Do a google search for iButtons, I think these are made by Dallas Semi (Maxim) These are very versatile and you can do lots of things with them, they also work on the well defined Dallas One Wire protocol. This is certinally do-able with a uP and I think that they even have technical notes on how to do this.

C) If all this talk of uP and protocols is a little beyond what you are after you could always go for a Hall effect sensor and just wave a magnet in front of your computer to turn it on.. thinking about this a magnet and your computer is probably not the "best" idea but again it is just a sugestion.

HTH

Rod