1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Apple G5 **PICS ROUND 2 - added at 10/18 11 EST**

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TheMuffinMan, 30 Sep 2004.

1. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

5 feet under water, now here is an oprtunity for a real rust mod. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

2. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

good luck
    i have a feeling youll need it
    and i suggest that u try salvege everything
    nomatter howmuch labour or time it takes coz a G5 is well worth a month of cleaning and time
    good luck on it
    and once it was cheep or even free i suggest a case mod or sonething like that (eg: add more fan mounts for 120mm fand and put in a window )
    i hope luck is on you side and if it is you one hell of a lucky guy

3. calking13

calking13 What's a Dremel?

lol, I been through worse with macs, repairing them and they're sticky with koolaid and god knows what else, what happens when we give middle school students $4000 laptops. but I hope you can clean it.

4. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Take out all the electronic parts, then blast the case with a garden hose.
    Put the circuit boards in the bathtub and submerge under a foot of water overnight.
    Then blast the boards with the garden hose right after taking them out of the bathtub.
    For the PSU and CD-ROM, it will be easier if you first open it.
    Then let it dry.
    To test the PSU, connect a car headlight bulb for a load and short the green wire to ground.
    If that tests out, then test the other components.

5. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

whe doing this.. i also suggest puting a oven or a something that takes some power, and (has to be built for the net-voltage, 115/230V) and put this in series with the psu, so if it is shorted, it will not blow a fuse, nor destroy itself.. (this is a normal thing to do at work, I'm an electrician)

6. Davedude

Davedude What's a Dremel?

I doubt you are going to get much in that G5 ever working again (srry if something was already mentioned, I didn't read the whole thread). What would it take to get a G5 case from you? :D

7. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

hmm, your lucky to have got it for nothing.. sice people pay alot for spares aswell..

do what any mac lover sees a blasfermy (sp?).. get a PC inside that G5 case.. and well, the mac equipment can be shot in a pc case i suppose :naughty:

either way, youve just got the equivelant of a LianLi V1000 for free.. lucky

anyway, wheres these pics?

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

God, my school can't even trust students with ball mice (and for some reason they refuse to spend the fifteen extra cents to get optical mice when they get new comps..), I wouldn't even let a $4000 anything near the place, let alone a laptop.

In any case, you may end up with a PC in a G5 case, but that just adds to the fun :dremel:

9. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Pics are coming, hosed the MB off, submerged the RAM, and the graphics card in a tub of hot water, brushed off dirt with new toothbrush (made most sense) right now they're drying off a bit more. I'll try the PSU later tonight when I've finished up seeding and fertilizing the lawn

10. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Its all gone, no hope left.. worth nothing at all..
    so just send it to me, i'll pay shipping costs.

LoL

No, Just take it apart, and clean it sufficient... first the rough bits offcours.. but I'm sure not toooo much dirt has gotten in it? I don't think the hard drive's will have survived.. same as cd rom... but still worth a shot though...

take everything apart, mainboard, processor, ram, etc.. and just clean it , and let it dry alot! The PSU is probably savable aswell. I think it won't be that cheap or easy to order one, so it will be worth saving.

Good luck !

L

11. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

How do you take apart the processor or the RAM? Rip the chips off and stuff?! :hehe:

Anyway, I wanna see a pic - of the mac anchor, i mean computer.

12. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

but try testing it without anything valuable attached ...

i once replaced a blown fuse in a psu, and that thing kinda blew up together with half the motherboard ...

13. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Work is going well, bathing it in water, then scrubing with a toothbrush and alcohol. After that it'll get a 90% alcohol bath. Then I'll give it a couple days drying time (maybe up to 2 weeks) then I'll try to reseat everything (processors etc) and get it to boot up (hopefully). I've got a friend with an ATX psu tester, so i'll be using that to check it, pics posted tonight :naughty:

14. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Hope it works for you dude we have some of those machines at uni and their very nice :) Hurry up with those pictures.

15. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Hehe,
    Uploading the files as we speak. I'll edit this message when they're done. :clap:

56k uber unfriendly (straight off camera at like 1280 by whatever)

The MB will appear not as bad, that's because I started cleaning that part ahah. It was all really horrible, I cleaned most of it before the pics. I'll take pics of my friend's unopened one on monday

**EDIT**

PICS AS PROMISED (finally)

8's really blurry, not sure what the hell it is haha
    Enjoy :rock:

Last edited: 8 Oct 2004
  16. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

DIE MAC DIE! I really like #8 too! Based on the pics, I'd say you shouldnt expect any of that stuff to work againl, but we'll just have to see.

17. ElCid

ElCid What's a Dremel?

If it is free and you dont really care aobut it, do all the things you can. First do the most sensible, but if that doesnt work hell, do the most radical. Too bad it wasnt a PC though, you could move new chips with old ones and stuff like that so you could know what wasnt working. MACs you cant find any new good parts without buying a new comp.

18. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

arghh big pics....

hey i have a new idea...

take a big pot of boiling water what makes LOTSA steam and put the parts over it, the steam will break down the caked dust and make it easier to clean

19. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

holy crap man, that's a lot worse than I originally thought... if all fails, I'll offer you some mula for the case!
    - Email me at me@mace.ws

PS: Where in virginia do you live? My father lives in roanoke :eek:

Last edited: 8 Oct 2004
  20. spinDr

spinDr What's a Dremel?

eeek, not nice.

Though on the + side you could declare it a write off and keep teh case for something else.