1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Wooden Elder

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by torlok2002, 9 Oct 2004.

1. torlok2002

torlok2002 What's a Dremel?

I finally decided to take on a real PC mod. Modding an old transistor radio (made between 1920 and 1940's, and in great condition) into a MP3 playing headless PC. Ideally the mod will be completly stealthed, as in rasing the component board up just enough to fit the MB, HD, and PSU in under. The 17cm^2 Epia mini ITX boards fit alomost perfectly from my measurements.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turns out It appears that I dont have to raise the Component board (and plus it wold have been a lot more trouble to relocate the dials for volume and tuning. So i gutted everything from under the metal things all the components sit on. I left everything in top alone. Everything under was cut out. Cleaning this thing was horrible, 60 year old dust is NASTY.

Everything out of the case... cleaning it alll
    [​IMG]

And then cleanign and working out space for components
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently I have everything back together ni the case, and am awaiting PC components. I'm still deciding on a power supply. If you want to help visit
    This Page. I'm also working out which software I'm going to use. Currently it look like the core distro of linux, with LIRC and MPG123 and LMP3(is this what its called?) and a custom built IR receiver.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2004
  2. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

ha ha ha nice, i wanna see this project, sounds really promising :thumb:, love the color of the wood looks really really really nice

Post 570

3. Bradish

Bradish What's a Dremel?

Good luck with that, and I do agree with your plan of making it completely stealthed, cause messing with the wood on that one would just be a shame...

Hmm, my dad just noticed this and said that he saw the exact same radio at a garage sale a week ago, except it came with the original speaker. Do you have that too?

Anyway, have fun..

4. torlok2002

I do. The cloth to cover the speaker though is so brittle, one touch and it will break. Feels so soft thuogh... Prob cause it is dust too...

5. Beginner

Beginner What's a Dremel?

Just wondering what the antique value of that radio is? Does it work? Or rather maybe change a couple of tubes to make it work? The photos don't show the true condition. Have you investigated that aspect? I'm only asking in case it turns out it's worth 2 or 3 new PCs. But maybe its' time as a collectable hasn't come yet. In any case I would agree that stealth is the way to go.

6. torlok2002

I investigated a bit and didnt find any price really, but since I was told it didnt work, and with the condition of the wires, I wasnt about to see for myself. (the plastic was literally crumbling off of the wires... Main plug had chew marks and wires sticking out. The internal wires were in a bit better condition, but still didnt look safe. This black stuff had leaked out of one of the big heavy boxes on the part with only one tube. It had turned to this hard black obsidian looking stuff that I had to CHISEL off. Of course being careful not to damage anything...

If it turns out that it is worth a lot then i guess I will have to :waah:

Anyways, i'm :) with it so far.

7. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Just about anything from 1920 is worth something... I really would have had it checked out more, I can almost guarantee you're going to get a kick in the nuts one of these day when you see one going on ebay or something for like 2 thousand dollars and it's in half the condition of yours..

8. Bradish

Bradish What's a Dremel?

I suppose it is a bit late, but if you can provide me any info on it I'll look around for you;)

9. Nevex

Nevex What's a Dremel?

Give ya props for the idea, BUT WHY? Thats an antique.

10. coorz

coorz Miffed

Beautiful piece of antique. A nixie clock would look good in it :)

11. torlok2002

Because I appreciate functional things much more than an old broken antique. Anyways... it is STILL GOING TO LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME to the casual observer. All PC components are going to be hidden. It is not going to be modded out with blue lights and a ton of fans or anything.

I'm planning on keeping looking exactly the same on the outside, and inside when you lift the lid.

12. torlok2002

If it was worth a lot, I would rather NOT know now... as i would prob
    :waah:

13. LabRat1

LabRat1 What's a Dremel?

nice

My next full case is gona be wood I like the color

14. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

plans sound good. BUT WHY DID YOU KILL THAT NICE OLD RADIO?!?! :waah:
    :sigh:

well.. good luck

15. torlok2002

LabRat1: Yes wood is very nice to work with

Acid Burn: Think of it more as resurrected... Here is a pic soon of what it look slike all back together (of course without all the new WORKING Gubbins).

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Oct 2004
  16. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

Man that is the coolest radio ever. RIP if you mode it. It would make for a cool restoration project if it wasnt worth to much. Like to get it working exactly as it was. hehe.

17. torlok2002

Well, hopefully it will be working better than it would have if I did it. Plus I wont have to listen to the crap which plays on the radio much anymore... only one channel where i live that I can stand, and half the time its all talk garbage and commercials. My MP3 collection has NO COMMERCIALS and all the music i like... :rock:

Dunno what this means :confused:

18. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

I think he means "if you MOD it :p", anyway, very nice project!
    I would have done the same thing if I had a beautiful radio like that (insert antique-flaming here :p).

Good luck! Looking good :)

19. Litecore

Litecore What's a Dremel?

daaamn, now that's a sweet wooden case!
    i'm gonna follow this project - be sure :thumb:

MOD ON ! :dremel:

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I'm a big fan of old transistor radios and I love the radio mods (just check out my sig) I'm looking forward to some progress on this one