1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling What Case for Watercooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vidur, 11 Oct 2004.

1. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have a Coolermaster Wavemaster at the moment which is watercooled (8mmID) but i wish to get another case for a new system but this time setting up a 1/2" tubing loop.

I was looking into the Lian Li V1000 and was thinking into this but was also thinking about buying another Wavemaster and doing the setup in that.

If you guys can give me some info or help in deciding what case to go for eaither the Lian Li V1000 or Wavemaster? If you have anyother cases in mind which you feel are also good please mention.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2004
  2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

What about coolmasters stacker..... soo much potential.

3. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I haved looked at that as it is a nice case but it is a bit big... I want to stay at the midi-tower size range.

thanks

4. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

5. Yellowpez

Yellowpez What's a Dremel?

Chenbro has the Gaming Bomb 2 that is fixing to come out. I'm waiting on it. VERY stylish even tho it's a Chenbro. And it has 120mm intake/exhaust. Will be a nice case.

6. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Too tall I'll bet he says. Hes probably looking for ones that have no extra space above and below the PSY and mobo. My new case (Impression IM-21) has a small gap and just barely wont fit under my desk. I would recommend he find one like the Impression (pretty much the standard height) and just yank out the lower drive rack for water cooling space.

7. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

8. Risky

Risky Modder

There's a review of the V1000 with a lot of photos here.

I suppose the first question is what rad you're planning to put in. Its going to have the biggest bearing on your choice of case.

9. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

I am planning to put a black ice extreme 2 in there on the top. I think if im correct there is enough space.

10. Risky

Risky Modder

Imo, it looks tricky. Remember the mobo is upside down so you've a danger of fouling that as well as losing a drivebay.

11. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

soo, is this the case for the watercooling system that you have in mind in your other thread? If so you would deffinately appreciate the extra size of the stacker. The p160 may be a little small for 2 rads depending on clever placement. I know my BIXii did not fit in the top of my antec 1080 but the chassis may be a little different in the p160.

FWIW here is a pic of my system with BIXii installed in the front where the 3.5" drivebays should be..
    [​IMG]

12. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

I see that but i think there should be enough space for the motherboard. If anybody knows of anyone who has fit a BIX2 in the V1000 case please can you give me a link.

I also wish to put a AquaTube Res on the top. I wish to put that near the drive bay side of the case and the BIX2 near the PCI slot backplate of the case.

13. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

I was planning on somthing like shown below in the Picture:
    Im not sure if this is possible.. but im in design stages at moment. (Sorry about the quick drawing)

If you can also tell me if it is possible to attach a BIX to the 120mm Fan at the back of the case (just under the PCI Card slots?

[​IMG]

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If the res in the top is supposed to be a BIX2, it is too thin in the drawing. Also if that is supposed to be an Aqua-Tube res, it's not deep enough (it would be one and a half drive bays deep, not just one). The pictorial representation of the BIX is also too small. I don't think it will fit at the back. Put it in the front (although with a BIX2 in there you arguably don't need it at all).

Make VERY sure of the dimensions of every component, or you'll end up with unpleasant surprises at the building stage!

15. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

HI,

Thanks for your help and i appolergise for the drawing..it was a quick sketch.
    You said that the aqua tube will take up 1 and a half drive bays. Is that including the 1/2" barbs fitted at the bottom or is that with no barbs fitted? If it is without 1/2" barbs how much space will it take if you know with 1/2" barbs fitted to the bottom of the res?

You also said there is no point for the BIX at the back as i am going for the BIX2. I think i will go with your word and will leave it out as it will be easier to work with.

Another thing was that, if i take the BIX out will i need the second pump or will there be no point in having it?

Lastly do you know the dimentions of the aqua tube with the top mounting plate? as i want to see if everything can fit on the top of the case.

thanks for your help

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Don't apologise, it's not a problem, just thought you needed to know about the dimensions. :)

The Aqua-tube is 1 and a half bay deep excluding any barbs at the bottom. If you add barbs (especially 1/2" ones) you're looking at 2 bays, plus at least another bay to accomodate the tubing going in --unless you use 90 degree angled barbs.

What pump are we looking at? Pumps generally are not weedy --especially not an Eheim 1200 (which is what I suspect that is meant to be). With three blocks and a BIX2 I suspect you will have sufficient flow on one pump. I have a BIX with three blocks and a 12V EBP by Craig-Davies (comparable to a Swiftech MCP600) provides so much flow I get vortices in the tubing!

I would:
    - have the barbs of the res sticking out the side;
    - drop the pump in the bottom drive cage in front of the PSU space;
    - turn the BIX2 around (barbs toward back) and move it to the front;
    - move the res to the back.
    - sequence the circuit: Pump --> rad --> GPU block --> NB block --> CPU block --> Res --> pump. I knwo, I know, much has been said about the order in which you arrange your blocks but in reality it doesn't make a darn bit of difference. Having a short and uncomplicated circuit does.

In measuring the thickness of the BIX2, make sure to include the 120mm fans stuck to it. You'll lose the two top bays.

17. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

HI

For the pump i was going to go for a dangerden lain D4 beacsue i need a real powerfull pump due to the large BIX3 (i am now going for) and the 3 blocks. (If you have any other better suggestions for powerfull 12V pumps please mention) Please

Another thing was that i was planing on getting a BIX3 (Just come out i think) and was plaing on putting it on the top. With this i was planing to put the AquaTube if possible in the Hard drive tray in the middle next to the power supply. (Shown in pic) But with this as i have 1/2" tubing i dont know if it will fit but even if it does fit which way would i route the tubing to get it to the pump and then back into the res at the end off the loop.

Another thing was im not sure if you can get 90 degree angled 1/2" fittings if you can please tell me a place in which i can get them from? As wiht this was i can put them on a Aquatube maybe this way i will be able to route the tubing better with the res in its new place.

[​IMG]

thanks

18. Risky

Risky Modder

OK elbow pipe fittings
    http://secure.thorite.co.uk/Thorite_Male___female_elbow_499.html

Or if you want to adapt from 1/8 first:
    http://secure.thorite.co.uk/Thorite_Equal_nipple_503.html
    and
    http://secure.thorite.co.uk/Thorite_Female_elbow_498.html

Lots more options in our wonderful, (if little read :waah: )...............
    Extreme Cooling Links Sticky

19. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Risky with the top link do you need to put addition fittings in that part at the end or do you connect it the 1/2" tubing stright into it.

Another thing was if i can im going to get the AquaTube with 1/4" or even 3/8" thread for more flow. If anyone knows any place where i can get this done please say.
    thanks

20. Risky

Risky Modder

Nope you still need barbs and a 1/8M to 1/4F adaptor.

Tags: