1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 160GB HD corruption in Win2kSP4 (not sure where to put this...)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Neuffy, 13 Oct 2004.

1. Neuffy

Neuffy What's a Dremel?

I've got two 160GB WD 8MB Fat32 PATA drives, non-raided, and I have a ridiculous amount of file table corruption. This is all recoverable, but it's a huge hassle, and I have to keep lots of space free. (I get file/directorynames like " `?due?.*??")

I've enabled "EnableBigLba", I've stopped using my primary IDE channel because it refuses to boot off of that (A7N8X Dlx), I've updated BIOS, and I'm just out of ideas. If I can't fix this, I guess I'll try RAID 0+1'ing them.

Any ideas?

2. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

/me smacks Neuffy with the partition stick.

3. Neuffy

Neuffy What's a Dremel?

eh? Each is in 2 ~75GB partitions...?

4. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

fat32 chokes on partition sizes over 32gb, and iirc 74gb is the upper limit possible by the fat32 partition table layout ...

switch to ntfs- there's no real reason not to. unless you have a lan full of 9x boxes you have to write to that is.

try making your boot partition under 30gb.

also, check out zapwizards partitioning guide ( http://www.zapwizard.com/Guides/Partitioning/index.html )- a little bit of work, but well worth it.
    Keeping the bloat off the boot drive will do wonders for your system.

5. Neuffy

Neuffy What's a Dremel?

actually, I'm not booting off of either of them...pure media storage.
    I'm currently booting off of a 6GB partition on a 80GB drive - which, incidentally, never gets corrupted.

Hm...if 74 GB is the upper limit, both my partitions are ever-so-slightly above that...(74.1GB/74.8GB X 2). Hm..NTFS switch...may be worth it...since now, every computer I might switch the harddrives into is either Win2k or XP...

Thanks for the info...hopefully this'll fix it...

6. Neuffy

Neuffy What's a Dremel?

Followup:
    God, but I'm an idiot. It's fixed now.

What I did was in feebly attempting to enable big lba (EnableBigLba) I added the registry key as the standard type, when it had to be a DWORD. That's all. Making a DWORD EnableBigLba 1 fixed it.

As for zapwizard's partition guide, well...it's pretty nice, but with 400 GB of storage space, it becomes prohibitive...too many drive letters...I have a base of 7 hard drive letters, a cd drive, and floppy. Then I add other temporary hard drives (currently 3 extras, but up to 5) each with 1-3 partitions.
    I'm currently pretty happy with just a windows/programs partition, a games partition, an image partition and then four base media partitions (1 music, 3 video).

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Tags: