1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics gpu for doom3?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pillow, 15 Oct 2004.

1. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

wats the cheapest gpu that could play doom3 on max resolution?

2. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

get the 6800gt, or the 6800ultra. The 6800gt is a better buy, and overclocks to ultra with ease

3. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

do u know wat the cheapest vid card would be? could a 9800 pro or xt run doom3 at mx res?

4. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

No, but it would run BOTH doom1 & 2 full res at the same time!

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

it isnt a matter of the cheapest GPU that will run doom3 on max settings

the 6800GT/U is the *only* gpu for now that will run it at full (and even then you need one hell of a system to keep up with it, especially if youre talking about 1600x1200)

to give you an idea, my main system (in sig) can only just run doom3 smoothly at 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF and everything else on max (with the self-shadowing patch as well, which is immense) and even then there is the occasional dip in framerates, which i hate so i tend to run it at 1280x1024

all depends on what you see as playable, i know some people (myself included) dont like fps dipping below 50+ and then others are content with 30 or so

6. TMM

TMM Modder

with a 9800 your looking at maybe 1280x960 med graphics settings....

i think your getting resolution and graphics quality mixed up..

7. Ds3

Ds3 What's a Dremel?

Huh, what happened to ATI? :confused: My X800 XT PE will run Doom 3 at max settings whilst making a coffee and doing the washing up :rolleyes:

8. Mister_Tad

a top end ATI card will run doom3 great as well, but not as well as a top nvidia card (although from all the numbers ive seen, doom3 doesnt like 1600x1200 everything on on any ATI card)

disclaimer:
    to any ATI fanboys thinking of posting, im not saying nvidia cards are better, im saying that doom3 runs better on nvdia hardware :rolleyes:

Last edited: 15 Oct 2004
  9. Ds3

Ds3 What's a Dremel?

Whilst you are just about right, the info you're working off is a bit outdated :) On it's release Doom 3 did run better on nVidiea cards due to specific optimisations developed between nVidia and ID, however, since then there have been some serious driver updates to Catalyst including opengl optimisation and a very serious memory allocation bug fix for 256mb cards in the latest 8.07 beta drivers.

You will find now if you run benchmarks with both cards there is very very little difference at all, if there is any it will be a matter or 2-3 FPS at most. Many people will argue the picture quality is slightly better with ATI cards, and ATI responds better to having AA and AF on high settings. To say nVidia cards are the *only* ones to run Doom 3 is seriously exaggerating the tiny difference between the performance ;)

Finally, you'd be an idiot to buy a graphics card based on it's performance in just one game. Half Life 2 is due soon as just as Doom 3 was optimised for nVidia, that is optimised for ATI which needs taking into account. As far as benchmarking goes, there is very little difference at all between the X800 XT PE and the 6800 Ultra so you might as well just toss a coin ;)

10. Mister_Tad

im aware that ATI has closed the gap considerably on nvidia since the release of doom3, but i still got the impression that ATI cards were lagging behind considerably (like more than a a couple fps) :eyebrow: /goes to check out doom3 comparisons

i dont have a x800XT to play with, so i cant really go off personal experience

i agree that is is a bit daft ot buy a card (especially a £300 card) based on one game, but that performance normally goes for games using the same engine as well. but the source engine tends to like ATI hardawre better, so ideally get a 6800U and an XTPE and swap them around depending on what you play :)

(but the orig question was "which gpu for doom3", and was pretty specific)

6 one way 1/2 dozen the other tbh

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

The differences in "timedemo" are negilgable, but the differences in real-world gaming with 66.81 and Catalyst 4.10 (now released) are actually still in the favour of NVIDIA, albeit by a smaller margin than there was before.

I was using Catalyst AI-enabled drivers here: http://bit-tech.net/review/357 to give you an idea of the differences between 6600GT and X700 XT in a real-world situation.

I know, we're talking about enthusiast parts here, but ATI proclaim that the X700 XT is actually a good match to the 6600GT in Doom 3, the fact is, in real world, it isn't, but in timedemo it is/was. So if that's the case in performance mainstream, I can only assume that this will be the case in the enthusiast/high-end sector too, as the boards are about as even again.

If you enable the Humus patch, you're actually reducing the image quality on the ATI board, down to a level that is lower than what the 6800 series achieves. Using shader replacement (aka Catalyst AI) also slightly reduces image quality.

By the way, the last check on the HL2 situation (CS: Source), ATI were actually behind NVIDIA. The hotfix driver/Catalyst 4.10 should bring things back in to perspective though... it again, looks a pretty even contest on the HL2/Source engine.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter-strike_source/

Anyway, there's a graphics card forum for discussing graphics cards... so off it goes to there.

12. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

i was just wondering cuz i have a very limited amount of money so cheaper would have been better looks like a 6800 gt for me

13. beedubaya

beedubaya What's a Dremel?

I have an X800 Pro, and it runs like crap in Doom 3 if I turn resolution past 1024x768 OR turn on AA. At 1024x768, 2xAA, i get around 30-50 fps, depending on my area. If I turn up to 4xAA, I can hardly get above 30 fps. This is not good for a $400 graphics card.

14. barry_n

barry_n What's a Dremel?

i think its reasons like this the games industry is going down the pan... when the game community starts playing a game for its eye candy over its playability. imo doom3 has taken graphics a huge step forward, but taken gameplay about 10 steps backwards, its a good thing i downloaded before i was going to purchase, would have been the biggest waste of money for me. easily the most repetetive game ive ever played.

im hoping HL2 will bring back some confidence in the gaming world :D

with regards to the thread, it looks perfectly fine on 1024x768 / 1280x960 so i wudnt know about 1600x1200 :p

15. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Whats the rest of your system? I can get 30-60 FPS on 1280X1024 Max settings. The X800 Pro is the best $350 ive spent.

16. beedubaya

I have an Athlon 64 3200+, K8V Deluxe mobo, Kingston HyperX PC3200 1GB, 500W PSU. What do you use for AA? With no AA, i can get very good FPS on 1024x768 and fairly decent FPS on 1280x1024. Add in that AA and the card chokes. Ah well, at least in Source I can get 108.2 on the stress test with 6xAA, 16xAF, and max settings.

17. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Like is said, i do all settings maxed. 16xAF and i believe its 8x AA. I also tweaked my config files to perfection and use the omega drivers.

18. beedubaya

Do you have the Saphire Toxic VIVO X800 Pro flashed to XT? Because I have a hard time believing Doom 3 remains playable at 16xAF and 8xAA at 1280x1024 for you. What are your timedemo scores?

19. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I never ran the time demo. My card is a Celestia Radeon X800 Pro. Its overclocked to XT levels but no softmod becuase the card lacks VIVO.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

You run up at 693MHz core?

That would equal "XT levels".

16x520 = 8320M pixels/sec
    8320/12 = 693.3MHz

I'm intregued as to how you got 560MHz out of 2.0ns memory too, volt mods? :)

Tags: