1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Shelves Plans for 4-GHz P4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 15 Oct 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Chipzilla may have promised them, but with the mulit-core mantra being recited around Santa Clara, the the top speed of the P4 has been throttled back to 3.8GHz, according to this from PCWorld:

Intel has confirmed its near-term plans for its desktop processors before it reaches the multicore era. The company will not release a 4-GHz version of its flagship Pentium 4 product, having decided instead to realign its engineers around the company's new design priorities, an Intel spokesperson says.

The past year has been marked by tectonic shifts in Intel's design and marketing philosophies. After years of promoting clock speed as the most important indicator of processor performance, Intel now believes that introducing multicore products and new silicon features, collectively known as the "Ts," are the best ways to improve processor performance.

The company has made the tough decision to break Intel President and Chief Operating Officer Paul Otellini's promise to release a 4-GHz Pentium 4 product, and will move engineers working on that product to other projects, says Bill Kircos, an Intel spokesperson.

More here

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

No!!!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :waah: :waah: :(

3. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

Ah well. Most people who want a 4ghz P4 have one anyway.

The joys of overclocking....

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I briefly got 3.8 out of my 2.8 but i never made it to 4. Damn i want a new chip.

5. Brillopad

Brillopad What's a Dremel?

if i used water cooling would i be able to get 4ghz out of my 3.2c on my IC7 max3 Motherboard

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

maybe, maybe not, if you have a particularly good chip there is a chance, only 1 way to find out for sure though :dremel:

kind of good that intel has put this lot to the side tbh, and im past 4GHz anyway so im not fussed :D . means they can concentrate more on getting a desktop cpu built on PM tech, which will be absoltutely immense (in theory) :baby:

7. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

But is this it for the P4? No newer faster one to drive down the prices soon? P5 just around the corner???

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

There isnt gonna be a P5

Tags: Add Tags