1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Awesome...just perfect.
    I may have a use for that PumpControl system soon enough, talk to me on MSN about it.

I think white would look AWESOME with it, but that's my 2 cents...er...pounds...

-Fyber

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

hmmm...I believe I've found a use for this picture.
    [​IMG]

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Very nice Nexxo.. Where can I get a few of those aluminum CCFL inverters? Keep up the grade A work..... You did such a wonderful job on the wiring (or should I say a wonderful job of stealthing the wiring). Like no other machine I have ever seen.....Clean....very Clean...

Last edited: 17 Oct 2004
  4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

the whitish blue subtile lighting looked REALLY good, and gazook? Is that a socken foot i see? Art though another footmodder like me?

5. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

wat a project !!! :rolleyes:

2 things:

wen will u put that pc on sale ? :D

can everybody here see the photo of the author? :hip:

TOP-NOTCH !!! :waah:

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]
    Thank you, Langer, thank you... All of you are a wonderful audience! :D

The shop I bought them from is now defunct :( (run by a 17-year old, who had to quit because he went to Uni. It was a small shop but with good prices and impeccable service). But you can also get them at el wire cheap.com for a good price.

:hehe: Yeah, I felt like a challenge... :D

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'd go with simply moving the tube to a vertical position so that you get light on both sides of your GPU.

8. Nexxo

Update: rigged the mobo up for a first test-run. Plugged in the works, pressed "Power", and it started booting... and hung at IDE initialisation.
    Tried again but now it wouldn't even POST.

I thought: "Oh, F*CK, the mobo's b0rked! :wallbash: It's a D.O.A.! And you can't get any more K7Ds for love nor money! I'm so screwed! ****, ****, **** :miffed: :wallbash: :waah:"

After my moment of despair :( I started reading up on the Forums in 2CPU.com. There it mentions how particular the K7D is about its memory --it wants Crucial only. Registered. Please.

So I whipped out my (unknown brand, second-hand) memory and: it POSTs.

Experimented with some slot configurations and it now has 512Mb of (cr@p brand?) memory in slot 2. This at least allowed me to get to the BIOS Setup screen and look at the temps.

Result: both CPUs are currently running at 31 degrees C, system at 25C, at room temperature of 17C. Not bad, even if the CPUs are only idling at the moment... All this rather quietly. :)

EDIT: played around some more and found that the mobo will accept the current memory if installed in slot 2 and 3 for some reason.... no matter. Saves me buying some new stuff. :D

Last edited: 22 Oct 2004
  9. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Phew, a close call for Metaversa :D I would never of thought there to be much difference between Crucial and other memory brands apart from stuff like timings. Glad to hear it's all going to be ok :thumb:

10. Nexxo

Yeah, I didn;t relish having to spend a lot of money and doing some rebuilding for a K8T Master-2 (dual Opteron) mobo... that would cost £500,-- and a rebuild of the blocks...

Another little bonus: the Swissflow sensor works! :D Currently it says flow is 1.6 litres/minute --25 GPH. :D

11. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Is that with the sensor hooked up directly to the MO display?

12. Nexxo

Nope, to the system fan header on the mobo. With some minor modifications (a few resistors) you can hook it up as if it were a fan (with an RPM sensor). So you could, if you wanted, hook it up to a MO LCD.

13. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Close call that was.

Must be satisfying for you after all the work you've done to finnaly have it operational.

This is probably my favourite Project on BTech.

Well done. I can't say it any other way.

14. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Glad you got it work bud.... Bit close. Annoying when that happenes. And very strange.:\.

15. Nexxo

Gets worse: tried the flash upgrade to the latest BIOS v1.91 (so it will work with 2800MPs) and that failed miserably --despite following instructions to the letter (I've done mobo flashes before, and it always worked). The mobo was a non-starter so recovery was impossible.

Got a new BIOS from Badflash.com (helpful guys) but still no joy --mobo appears well and truly dead now. I'm sending the BIOS chips back for checking and re-flashing but I do not hold out hope... I'm not a novice at BIOS replacement so it should have worked out. All I can think is that something conked out. :waah:

So this leaves me in a quandry... What do I do? :sigh:

I am currently negotiating a sale of a 2nd hand K7D Master-L mobo which has v1.91 already on it, and works, so I don't have to go through that again. I can just swap the mobo and I'm away. This would be the cheapest solution, so fingers crossed.

Alternatively I can just dig into my credit card and make the jump to the K8T Master-2Far dual Opteron board now. It has the same layout, more or less uses the same components, so it is more or less a straight swap.

More or less. The Phase II blocks by Vodrazka only fit Athlon Socket A, or P4 boards. You could adapt them to the required Xeon mounts (yes, this is an Opteron board but MSI used Xeon holes and optional plastic P4 clamps to save space) but I'd need someone with good CNC skills to make the parts for me... So I'd have to lose them and use, say, DangerDen's TDX blocks (Xeon flavour). So I have quite a bit of added expense, and would be left with two 2800MPs and to beautiful, but (for now) useless blocks...

So, is there a good CNC router operator out there? Anyone? Please? :blah:

16. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Stick it out with your 2800 MP's if possible, it'd be a shame for you to be left with 2 (very) nice paperweight blocks. I've heard this done on another forum by people developing NF7-S V2 overclocking BIOS', can you not remove the BIOS chip and send it away to someone who could flash the appropriate BIOS onto it for you? If i were you i'd save Dual Opterons for a future project, it'd be interesting to see performance figures between the Dual 2800's and Opterons :D As for use of CNC Mill if you go Dual Opteron, I remember seeing Enak's sig saying something like: "Want something cut on a CNC Mill, PM me."

Best of Luck,

Leeum

17. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Hmm....well if you go the opteron route I think i might have an idea for ya nexxo...Email me (or msn) and we'll talk :)

18. Nexxo

Most certainly. I guess it's: "Metaversa: Reloaded"... Enak can make some CNC milled adaptations for my blocks, so I can still use them. I just picked up a matched pair of Opteron 250s half price (bit of an impulse buy, but good value). Going for a MSI K8T Master 2-Far now.

Any takers for a pair of Athlon 2800MPs, in Retail box with sinks, and a pair of Athlon 1800MPs? :D

19. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Dual Opterons, the power :D Glad to see you're sticking it through and Enak's sorting the blocks out, I remember seeing his sig when looking at his rig, 3 TFT's he's got :jawdrop:

20. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

I noticed the title change and i thought, dear god no, hes not making it matrix themed. Thankfully you arent :)

Bad luck about the motherboard. Still, duel opterons :)